• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

A crowded and talented WR room, who starts in game 1?

Ummm, there is a difference between a veteran player and a raw athlete out of high school. That was my point.
True. Especially the average 3 star. However, Malachi is a different specimen imo. At 6'4 200, adding 10-15 lbs this off-season should come fairly easily and has the frame to develop into a Terrell Owens type of athlete.

You don't need to look far to see that there were many Power 5 True Freshman who not only contributed at a high level but actually led their teams in receiving last year (Clemson, Arizona, Kentucky, Michigan had an outstanding TE which is a tough position to make an instant impact).

I don't know that Coleman starts on Day 1, but good on him if he can make it happen. I'm probably forgetting someone, but I can't remember the last true freshman WR who was a regular starter for NU. (Spielman, Westy, and Bell were all redshirt freshmen when they started playing a lot.)

Barring injury, Washington and Kemp seem like surefire starters. There's no obvious choice for the #3 starting WR at this point.
Stanley Morgan was a true freshman in 2015 and made a huge impact, Coleman’s intangibles are so high I think he starts

True. Especially the average 3 star. However, Malachi is a different specimen imo. At 6'4 200, adding 10-15 lbs this off-season should come fairly easily and has the frame to develop into a Terrell Owens type of athlete.

You don't need to look far to see that there were many Power 5 True Freshman who not only contributed at a high level but actually led their teams in receiving last year (Clemson, Arizona, Kentucky, Michigan had an outstanding TE which is a tough position to make an instant impact).
Agreed, but expecting him to take the reigns from the outset is far from a guarantee. He needs a decent amount of work on route running, get off, hand play, etc. Yes, physically, he's a freak. But it takes a lot more than that to be effective. If we get one more veteran wideout, which I think we will, it will allow the kid to grow at his own pace. If he earns the job, awesome. But we want to get in the business of developing kids and not rushing them. I'm hoping when he does play, he's ready.

Agreed, but expecting him to take the reigns from the outset is far from a guarantee. He needs a decent amount of work on route running, get off, hand play, etc. Yes, physically, he's a freak. But it takes a lot more than that to be effective. If we get one more veteran wideout, which I think we will, it will allow the kid to grow at his own pace. If he earns the job, awesome. But we want to get in the business of developing kids and not rushing them. I'm hoping when he does play, he's ready.
Absolutely. Play the kid who gives his team the best chance. Excited to see who rises.

Stanley Morgan was a true freshman in 2015 and made a huge impact, Coleman’s intangibles are so high I think he starts
Stanley came on at the end of his Freshman year. I am not sure if he ever started a game that year though. Maybe toward the end of the season.

He contributed for sure, though I'm not sure his impact was huge as a Freshman. Without looking up the stats, I would guess maybe 300 yards and 2 TDs that year?

Stanley came on at the end of his Freshman year. I am not sure if he ever started a game that year though. Maybe toward the end of the season.

He contributed for sure, though I'm not sure his impact was huge as a Freshman. Without looking up the stats, I would guess maybe 300 yards and 2 TDs that year?
Similar numbers for our new TE his frosh year

Well, we're going to need all the talent we can garner Game 1, because Deion just flipped the #1 CB and now has a pair of 5-star CB's.

Well, if they tackle like him, we just need to go 2 TEs and run the ball down their throats.

After his showing last night in the Poly bowl, I'd say MC is a cinch to start.

You don't need to look far to see that there were many Power 5 True Freshman who not only contributed at a high level but actually led their teams in receiving last year (Clemson, Arizona, Kentucky, Michigan had an outstanding TE which is a tough position to make an instant im

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back