• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Official: USC/UCLA Joining B1G in 2024

Overall I agree, but I also wonder if it’s short-sighted to base realignments solely on football programs. Everything goes in cycles, and what if basketball becomes the primary revenue-generator? (It feels unlikely, but 5 years ago I would have thought USC and UCLA joining the Big Ten unlikely. And, here we are.)

Football garners more revenue than the next 35 other sports combined at Division I schools. They generate roughly 4x what basketball does. That's on average. The disparity is even more glaring with many, many schools.

if stanford comes, hope cal comes along as well. that’s a great rivalry. and cal has top notch olympic sports, and has had decent stretches with football (plus there’s a ton of talent in the east bay area, such as de la salle)

RUMOR: Heard, from a source, that USC had the condition that if they were to join, that they did NOT want Oregon to become a member of the B1G. I know USC/UCLA asked to join but this was one of the very few conditions they had, though, since they were the ones that asked the B1G to join, and not the other way around, beggars shouldn't be choosy. Again, just something I heard from a source, I have absolutely no idea if true or, even if it was, that it would be made public. Oregon still may end up in the B1G.

Last edited:

2-4.

UCLA and USC will need closer road games. I'd be absolutely shocked if USC and UCLA join the Big Ten in 2024 without at least a couple more Pac-12 teams joining as well.
If those teams were that valuable for media rights, the Pac12 would have had a much better contract. Teams like Washington and Oregon are not automatic additions. Stanford is a special case because they may entice Notre Dame.

I have a hard time seeing adding 4 more P12 teams after USC and ucla and having it make sense financially.

Last edited:
I, of course, don't know how this will turn out and certainly have no inside information since I live alone with my golden retriever/laborador mix, and he knows next to nothing.

But this is one topic on which everyone can speculate and have some basis for their speculation.

So my speculation is that those who in fact are in the know don't know either at this point. And beyond that, I suspect they really don't know what final outcome they want.

So we can just hang on and see where it goes.

RUMOR: Heard, from a source, that USC had the condition that if they were to join, that they did NOT want Oregon to become a member of the B1G. I know USC/UCLA asked to join but this was one of the very few conditions they had, though, since they were the ones that asked the B1G to join, and not the other way around, beggars shouldn't be choosy. Again, just something I heard from a source, I have absolutely no idea if true or, even if it was, that it would be made public. Oregon still may end up in the B1G.
not familiar with the usc/oregon relationship. is there a hatred there?

If those teams were that valuable for media rights, the Pac12 would have had a much better contract. Teams like Washington and Oregon are not automatic additions. Stanford is a special case because they may entice Notre Dame.

I have a hard time seeing adding 4 more P12 teams after USC and ucla and having it make sense financially.

I don't see it making sense financially for UCLA and USC without a few teams closer to them geographically.

4-5 conference football road games per year at a minimum of 1,300 miles times two (Lincoln, the closest). And the other sports will mostly be 2-3 times that many road games. Can you imagine Ohio State having to play all of their conference road games on the West Coast (all sports)? I can't. But that's basically what USC and UCLA currently will have to do but in reverse.

I'll bet there will be at least four total Pac-12 teams in the Big Ten.

Last edited:
That merger is going to have a difficult time happening until the Big Ten and SEC get their power grab sorted out.

No doubt that every remaining Big 12 and Pac-12 school is wishing the SEC or Big Ten would take them. Some have realistic hopes, some do not. But it does them no good locking into a contract with some sort of newly merged conference before the dust settles.
Maybe so, but those schools can’t sit back and do nothing either. That leaves them as sitting ducks.

Worst case scenario: A 24 team league with 4 divisions of six. West Division: UCLA, USC, Stanford, Washington, Oregon and Nebraska. Look who has the travel then.
i find this unlikely, who are the other b1g members?

i find this unlikely, who are the other b1g members?
ND, UNC, Duke, Va, and Pitt, for one example. No one scenario is very likely given the unknowns, which is why I threw out a “worst”one. All I am saying is we don’t want an odd number of West Coast teams that need one more to create a pod or division, because we would be the plus 1.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back