• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Official: USC/UCLA Joining B1G in 2024

So USC and UCLA are in, and talk that now we’re waiting perhaps on Notre Dame.

Forgive me for this, but wouldn’t Notre Dame and Texas be the next 2 best choices after the Cali schools?

Geographically and academically, ND and Texas are a Big 10 fit. I don’t much like either school, but that would make them fun to play. More so than Stanford and Oregon,

And of course Texas has committed to the SEC, but would that really stop them from another change?
Especially Notre Dame .... perfect fit, both geographical and academic. Texass is too far away.

Pitt U. or KSU intelligent schools? Or ISU or Mizzou?

Fighting Irish is my second favorite team.

Last edited:
maybe this has beed addressed
if so sorry

but how is UCLA and maybe USC (depending on their tax. grants status, agreements etc. with the state)
going to travel, considering the state of California's
travel ban. to non compliant states, (which includes some in theBig Ten )
I believe their travel ban is now 22 states. Not sure if either school would fall under a state government travel ban.

maybe this has beed addressed
if so sorry

but how is UCLA and maybe USC (depending on their tax. grants status, agreements etc. with the state)
going to travel, considering the state of California's
travel ban. to non compliant states, (which includes some in theBig Ten )

I believe their travel ban is now 22 states. Not sure if either school would fall under a state government travel ban.

I would assume that would have been a consideration in the talks heading into the invitations made by the conference. That would be great question to ask the USC/UCLA university presidents and/or representatives from the Big 10.

Last edited:

I think Pitt and Cincinnati would have been great choices for BIG membership. Unfortunately there are 2 very large impediments called PSU and OSU! Neither of them wants their instate rivals competing in the Big Ten Conference imo.

There is panic in Berkeley.

I’m ok with Oregon, maybe they can lend us their uniform designer. New world order in football means a new team via portal every year, new recruiting areas opening up, new coaches, why not a new look to match
No way. I hope Nebraska never leaves adidas. Their product is superior to Nike. Oregon is a gimmick school. I’d say the better choice would be Washington and Stanford. This way you get the Seattle market and Washington’s population base. Stanford brings in Northern California. I say the hell with Oregon.

Forgive me for this, but wouldn’t Notre Dame and Texas be the next 2 best choices after the Cali schools?

Geographically and academically, ND and Texas are a Big 10 fit. I don’t much like either school, but that would make them fun to play. More so than Stanford and Oregon,

Notre Dame is the B1G Ten's first choice, even ahead of USC & UCLA. However, the powers that be in South Bend need further enticement before they will capitulate and join a conference for football. Basically: (1) Scheduling issues for teams, including difficulty booking games against traditional rivals; (2) Lack of access to CFP (or its successor) because of a lack of conference affiliation; (3) Disparity in media rights revenue that is too large to ignore; (4) Having to deal with the NIL / employee / union / related issues that are just around the corner on its own.

The B1G Ten is doing a run-around by adding USC, another of ND's traditional rivals in-house. This *potentially* further limits the ability of the Irish to schedule a non-conference game against a traditional rival. That's why I think the conference is also looking at Stanford, another team that has played Notre Dame many times over the years. The hang-up (IMO) is Stanford might want Cal to come along for the ride -- which makes sense from a travel & scheduling perspective (as well as AAU and stellar academics). Stanford is a no-brainer in my opinion. Cal is nothing special when it comes to football and athletics in general (Allison Stokke notwithstanding). Still, given the B1G Ten will have 4 of the traditional football blue bloods when USC joins in 2024, I don't think football is that important in terms of evaluating Stanford (and by proxy, Cal).

So USC and UCLA are in, and talk that now we’re waiting perhaps on Notre Dame.

And of course Texas has committed to the SEC, but would that really stop them from another change?

I'm sure a contract would prevent Texas from another change. Or at least for the next several years. Regardless, I doubt they have any interest in going to the Big Ten now.

Regarding Notre Dame, there's a lot of discussion on this in the main expansion thread. The word is that the Big Ten has already reached out to Notre Dame and is awaiting a reply before deciding what's next.

Beyond that, I about guarantee there will be more teams added out West. You can't expect USC and UCLA to have to travel thousands of miles and multiple time zones every time they have a road matchup.

There is panic in Berkeley.

Agreed about Cal. They have to know that Stanford is a more attractive option than they are.

Many universities and fans in the Big 12 and Pac 12 are sharing similar feelings right now.

Last edited:
With the news of UCLA/USC what does Oregon do? I know the PAC has been considered a softer league especially since the USC run ended, but the league now has nothing left. Washington has been down for a bit, I know rich coming from a NU fan. Could the remaining PAC and Big 12 merge and have enough credit comparatively to the B1G and SUC?

That merger is going to have a difficult time happening until the Big Ten and SEC get their power grab sorted out.

No doubt that every remaining Big 12 and Pac-12 school is wishing the SEC or Big Ten would take them. Some have realistic hopes, some do not. But it does them no good locking into a contract with some sort of newly merged conference before the dust settles.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back