• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

I think it is time to move on.

It's called kicking the can down the road. I'm convinced bringing Frost back under a restructured contract was a compromise between opposite-minded boosters. (As a matter of disclosure, I nothing to base that on, other than a "gut feel.")

I'd guess the metrics to retain Frost are in two stages. 1. A minimum number of wins after Indiana. 2. A bowl berth.

With next year's schedule, in year 5 Frost should be, at worst, 5-1 midway through the season. I don't know what the "official" metrics are, but in my mind, it has to be at least 4 wins in order to stay in the running for a bowl game at the end of the year. They're all "winnable" games with the arguable exception of Oklahoma. With 4 wins mid-season, and Purdue and Illinois both in Lincoln (the most "winnable" games in the 2nd half of the season,) a bowl game is an absolute minimum.
I think the Purdue game will get moved to West Lafayette and the Wisconsin game to Lincoln. Not sure why that hasn't happened yet.

I agree with everything else you said. If we're not at least 4-2 after six games, the plug should be pulled as soon as the revised contract language allows. We "should" be 5-1 at the turn, but we have failed to win a lot of games that we "should"
have won the last four years.

So the Huskers hang over half a hundred on NW and their score wasn't even an impressive one and you all of a sudden feel Northwestern is going to come out of the gates swinging haymakers. Well, I guess we are all entitled to our own fantasies.

Different seasons in northwestern is seldom bad two in a row. I also remember rolling up 77 points on Arizona State and winning by about 50 in 1995. They shut us out the following year.

Yep. Remember last year standings? 1st place in the West (NW)

I think you underestimate the egos of coordinators. The opportunity to turn around a program like Nebraska is very tantalizing to these Type A personalities. Maybe even more so than going somewhere "safe". A lot of fans don't really understand the coaching profession and community very well. We think on our level, not theirs. They will come, if offered. Mark it down. This type of a situation is a coordinators dream. It's really a no lose situation. They either flip an offense in 1 season, or they don't, collect their paycheck and buyout, and go get another job. It's not a big deal to them.
And don't underestimate the size of the market when so many FBS head coaches have been fired. Might be a decent year to have our pick of OCs.

Well escape cellar .....

nJ53v0w.png

(tiebreaker ... head-to-head)

This kind of thinking got us here in the first place. Pedersen thought coaches would be falling all over themselves to replace Solich. 45 days later we got Callahan. We will see who comes here but I think it’s highly unlikely it will be anyone more known than Lubick.
Only reason people weren’t falling all over to come here is cause pedersen fired a winning coach.

What were his claims?

He portrayed himself as a football coach, and only had a handful of years coaching 8-man on the rez. Hell, it even got him an SI article, since Max didn't bother to vet him. A quick check on LinkedIn showed his inflated claims.

Which makes me skeptical when I see a person claim coaching experience in one post, but career military in another. I'm impressed that once you were finally back stateside you were able to land an assistant position at a major school in NY. Usually there's a chronological progression from other jobs to get that.

in reality, the more I think about the more I realize just how stupid it was, and i would bet money it is only done because of money. I called for it early on, but didn't really think about it. What top notch OC is going to come here and work under a coach that clearly has 1 year to fix this.. not many to none.
IDK. You pay a guy $1.2M with 2 years guaranteed and you are really paying $2.4M. He turns this sheet show around and may be in line for other big gigs. My gut tells me Frost won't get it turned around but open to the idea I could be wrong, the Frost stayers have some merit and the bottom line is you can't dismiss saving $10M. Hoping for the best.

He portrayed himself as a football coach, and only had a handful of years coaching 8-man on the rez. Hell, it even got him an SI article, since Max didn't bother to vet him. A quick check on LinkedIn showed his inflated claims.

Which makes me skeptical when I see a person claim coaching experience in one post, but career military in another. I'm impressed that once you were finally back stateside you were able to land an assistant position at a major school in NY. Usually there's a chronological progression from other jobs to get that.
Is MABC still around or does he only post on the super secret board?

I’m not sure that your premise is true.

We have sucked for 6 of the last seven years and the stadium still rocks on football Saturday. I wouldn’t make broad assumptions right now.

I think after firing Solich and Pelini and believing any coach could get to 9 wins, people are starting to wise up and will show much more patience than has been shown in the past. If no bowl game, that might just be the straw that breaks the camels back.
I believe we got complacent while the 9 win seasons were going on and other teams in our conference worked on improving their programs. A lot of teams upgraded their facilities while we stood pat. We used to be on cutting edge with S and C but not anymore

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back