• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic

The Husker football (and basketball) program is in a shambles. Players defecting, seemingly every week and the good news according to HuskerMax is always either Frost secured another walkon and 1970 was a great year. Adrian Martinez might be a good athlete but he has proven he can't quarterback a team to a championship. Frost was too in love with that kid...so in love he let Joe Barrow walk away right into a National Championship and Heisman trophy at LSU. And then he allowed AM to keep our program in the bottom tier while Luke McCaffery, with the right amount of coaching and snaps, could have brought a new skill set to the team. He just didn't really get a chance.
Don't look for much to change this year. Frost is a Peter Principle coach, having reached his peak at UCF and the other conference coaches love having him because they out coach him every week.

Men's basketball is in as much trouble although they have a great coach. Their inability to stay ahead of the Covid-19 virus ruined this season but they were not going to win a single conference game anyway. Their problem is recruiting. Every season it is a brand new cast of players...just like an intra-mural team. No cohesiveness, no real team work, nothing to cheer for. How Iowa and Wisconsin can recruit the way they do with team players who can shoot like Larry Bird and Nebraska at best gets rejects from other teams with one year of eligibility is a mystery.
I think everyone agrees it's been a sh!tshow for the past 3 years. No one likes it. To compound issues, our head coach didn't quite know everything like he thought he did, and should have tempered his bravado a little bit coming in. To me, the question is this: Do you want to suffer through some growing pains, to give time for a coach to grow, so that we have a native son who will stay and coach the Huskers for a couple decades, or do we want to recycle coaches every 3 years? For me, it's the former, even though I'm disappointed with the current product and think it's taking longer than I had hoped. It's taken Frost a little while to figure out what he doesn't know, and I think everyone agrees next year will be pivotal to show some forward momentum with the program. The OL seems to be stocked with better talent, and the Defense has improved, so let's hope that those translate into better performance on gameday. Ball security and general sloppy play are critical things Frost has to solve before he can move the program substantially forward, IMO. But, these are mental issues and are fixable, and a few less drives killed by penalties leads to a few more wins. Martinez has been a disappointment the last 2 years for sure, and his lack of ball security really hampers the Offense. Martinez needs to improve for this Offense to click, unless Frost switches to heavy power run, with 15 play action passes a game. I think Frost himself knows if he posts a losing season next year that he is in hot water, so I expect to see some urgency out of him. I agree that the evidence so far hasn't been impressive, but I want Frost to get a full 5 years for this rebuild, which was substantial.

Last edited:

Shedding players like a zombie shedding the virus.
Just how much higher can we escalate this?
Like, who needs the space station high?

Why yes I did. They had about an 8 year downturn. Nebraska is on a 20 year downturn, with no end in sight of yet.

Twenty year downturn? Really? In those 20 years they have played for 4 or 5 conference championships, getting hosed in one, played for a Natty, and during the Pelini years averaged 9-10 wins. Revisionist history at its best calling it a 20 year downturn. Using that same metric most teams not named Bama, Clemson and LSU have had a 20 year downturn

Twenty year downturn? Really? In those 20 years they have played for 4 or 5 conference championships, getting hosed in one, played for a Natty, and during the Pelini years averaged 9-10 wins. Revisionist history at its best calling it a 20 year downturn. Using that same metric most teams not named Bama, Clemson and LSU have had a 20 year downturn
Yep Pelini had 7 winning seasons, Callahan had a 10 win season, and even old Riley had one good season. People act like we’ve been a dumpster fire. 2009 was an excellent defensive unit. Still had guys like Lavonte David, Randy Gregory, Malik Collins, and Jared Crick after that. Nebraska has continued to recruit at the top of its division and top half of the conference through three coaching staffs. Long winded post just saying I agree.

I agree with you. I probably worded that poorly. Bo did a fine job. I was mostly talking about no confrence titles. 4 straight losing seasons isn’t helping anything. Bama had a downturn, 1993-2007. USC had a long one. It happens everywhere.

Last edited:
The Husker football (and basketball) program is in a shambles. Players defecting, seemingly every week and the good news according to HuskerMax is always either Frost secured another walkon and 1970 was a great year. Adrian Martinez might be a good athlete but he has proven he can't quarterback a team to a championship. Frost was too in love with that kid...so in love he let Joe Barrow walk away right into a National Championship and Heisman trophy at LSU. And then he allowed AM to keep our program in the bottom tier while Luke McCaffery, with the right amount of coaching and snaps, could have brought a new skill set to the team. He just didn't really get a chance.
Don't look for much to change this year. Frost is a Peter Principle coach, having reached his peak at UCF and the other conference coaches love having him because they out coach him every week.

Men's basketball is in as much trouble although they have a great coach. Their inability to stay ahead of the Covid-19 virus ruined this season but they were not going to win a single conference game anyway. Their problem is recruiting. Every season it is a brand new cast of players...just like an intra-mural team. No cohesiveness, no real team work, nothing to cheer for. How Iowa and Wisconsin can recruit the way they do with team players who can shoot like Larry Bird and Nebraska at best gets rejects from other teams with one year of eligibility is a mystery.
Burrow didn't fit the offensive scheme that Frost and Co. run and we didn't recruit him. Same with why Riley didn't recruit him out of high school. He wouldn't of had the success here that he had at LSU with a team completely full of high four and five star recruits. Calm yourself with this pessimism, no one wants to hear it

Correct with both paragraphs. Frost is stuck on Martinez. The movie is nearing the end and the audience is moving to the exits.

On the basketball issue, yes, recruiting is always an issue and there is no consistency. Driveway basketball just does not produce many wins.
And who do you recommend we start with zero downfield threats at receiver?

And who do you recommend we start with zero downfield threats at receiver?
Well, to date, AM doesn’t seem to be working out. Guess I would be looking to find receiving corps who can get open and find a QB who can get them the ball. It is called recruiting and getting kids to stay in the program.

Well, to date, AM doesn’t seem to be working out. Guess I would be looking to find receiving corps who can get open and find a QB who can get them the ball. It is called recruiting and getting kids to stay in the program.

They don't have time to recruit any other position because they took your advice and are only recruiting offensive linemen.

Burrow didn't fit the offensive scheme that Frost and Co. run and we didn't recruit him. Same with why Riley didn't recruit him out of high school. He wouldn't of had the success here that he had at LSU with a team completely full of high four and five star recruits. Calm yourself with this pessimism, no one wants to hear it
Correction Pelini didn’t want him out of high school!

If you don't want to hear it then don't click on the thread or read the posts. This is a place where people are free to come and vent their frustrations with the NU football program.

C

I (literally, by computer) generated a random number and used it to select a team from an alphabetical list of FBS teams--West Virginia. Think they have a 20 year downturn? Nope. I would venture to say not one team has had as steep a slope as NU has. Granted, this graph starts immediately after NU was at the pinnacle of college football and had a long way to fall. And fallen they have.

These graphs are based on a 5 year moving average [Edit: of winning percentage] going back to 1998, the year after TO retired.

winning Nebraska.PNG
winning West Virginia.PNG

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back