• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic

I agree with you. I probably worded that poorly. Bo did a fine job. I was mostly talking about no confrence titles. 4 straight losing seasons isn’t helping anything. Bama had a downturn, 1993-2007. USC had a long one. It happens everywhere.
Definitely a good point, sure feels like it's been a 20 year drought though. I hope we are closer to launching that we are to the bottom of the dive.

Last edited:

I agree with you. I probably worded that poorly. Bo did a fine job. I was mostly talking about no confrence titles. 4 straight losing seasons isn’t helping anything. Bama had a downturn, 1993-2007. USC had a long one. It happens everywhere.

I think you meant 5-7 years or so. Which I think most of us would agree with. I think our sinking is kinda like Oh Ewe without the scandal and the compete fall. The last few years we played them regularly it was like 69-10, 73-21, etc. We have not fallen that far. They made the right choice at HC, got Heupel and were on their way.

Last edited:
I (literally, by computer) generated a random number and used it to select a team from an alphabetical list of FBS teams--West Virginia. Think they have a 20 year downturn? Nope. I would venture to say not one team has had as steep a slope as NU has. Granted, this graph starts immediately after NU was at the pinnacle of college football and had a long way to fall. And fallen they have.

These graphs are based on a 5 year moving average [Edit: of winning percentage] going back to 1998, the year after TO retired.

View attachment 59796View attachment 59797

Not sure what you are trying to say. If we are going to say a team like NU (who has averaged 8-9 wins I would guess a season in those 20 years or so, perhaps 7, I have not averaged it out) has been to the same extent a dumpster fire like Oh Ewe in the 90s? That is a reach at best. Oh Ewe had a 3 win season, 4 win season, 5 win season and a 6 win season and a 7 win season IIRC in that decade. And nobody has smacked us around as bad (O$U came close) as we did the Sooners. I stand by my standpoint. Revisionist history. And the only teams I can come up with that have won consistently in the last 20 years big are Ohio State, Bama and possibly LSU. Clemson had some stinkers and went 22 years (1990-2012) w/o a top ten finish.

Last edited:
We have gone 159-97 since 2000 and not including the partial season last season. That works out to roughly 8-5. Not great but not as bad as some would have you believe. Very Iowaesque if you ask me. Certainly not up to NU high standards. And that is coming off two consecutive once in a generation coaches in Devaney and Oz, firing a legacy coach, the hiring and firing of he who shall not be named, the hiring and firing of a 9-10 win a year coach, an atrocious hire in Riley and now in the Frost Era. Facts...

Not sure what you are trying to say. If we are going to say a team like NU (who has averaged 8-9 wins I would guess a season in those 20 years or so, perhaps 7, I have not averaged it out) has been to the same extent a dumpster fire like Oh Ewe in the 90s? That is a reach at best. Oh Ewe had a 3 win season, 4 win season, 5 win season and a 6 win season and a 7 win season IIRC in that decade. And nobody has smacked us around as bad (O$U came close) as we did the Sooners. I stand by my standpoint. Revisionist history. And the only teams I can come up with that have won consistently in the last 20 years big are Ohio State, Bama and possibly LSU. Clemson had some stinkers and went 22 years (1990-2012) w/o a top ten finish.
You said a 20 year downturn was revisionist history. Numbers prove NU has trended downward since Solich took over. As good as Pelini's record was, it was only an 8 year blip in the last 22 years. You also said that most any other team would have a downturn in 20 years. I selected a random team to test that theory. WV acutally trended up (slightly) in the same time period.

I think the real revisionism is to imply 8 years of 9-10 win seasons has been typical and the other 14 years of poor performance were akin to OU's troubles in the 90s. Clearly this program has tanked and, arguably, shows no signs of recovery any time soon.

We have gone 159-97 since 2000 and not including the partial season last season. That works out to roughly 8-5. Not great but not as bad as some would have you believe. Very Iowaesque if you ask me. Certainly not up to NU high standards. And that is coming off two consecutive once in a generation coaches in Devaney and Oz, firing a legacy coach, the hiring and firing of he who shall not be named, the hiring and firing of a 9-10 win a year coach, an atrocious hire in Riley and now in the Frost Era.
162-103 including 2020, 61%, good for 30th best over that span, 21 years. It could be much worse. Can’t keep going like they are, that will send you plummeting fast.

Last edited:
Well, to date, AM doesn’t seem to be working out. Guess I would be looking to find receiving corps who can get open and find a QB who can get them the ball. It is called recruiting and getting kids to stay in the program.
Boom there you go. We also need our o-line to block too. AM worked out freshman year because we had an o-line and a true deep threat. Since then, none of the above, and now people think he's just fallen off. You'll see "improvement"

If you don't want to hear it then don't click on the thread or read the posts. This is a place where people are free to come and vent their frustrations with the NU football program.

C
Difference between venting and just straight up saying things no one wants to hear. Notice what everyone else (minus a couple replies agreeing) replied?? Most agreed with me.

Definitely a good point, sure feels like it's been a 20 year drought though. I hope we are closer to launching that we are to the bottom of the dive.
I definitely think we’re trending in a positive direction. 12 one possession losses in the last 3 years is something to be both disappointed and optimistic about

I definitely think we’re trending in a positive direction. 12 one possession losses in the last 3 years is something to be both disappointed and optimistic about
Don’t confuse them with facts and optimism. We will have all kinds of exploding heads to clean up.

Yes, we lose the close ones a lot over the last three years. And we lose the ones not so close too. Not sure that makes me optimistic.

You said a 20 year downturn was revisionist history. Numbers prove NU has trended downward since Solich took over. As good as Pelini's record was, it was only an 8 year blip in the last 22 years. You also said that most any other team would have a downturn in 20 years. I selected a random team to test that theory. WV acutally trended up (slightly) in the same time period.

I think the real revisionism is to imply 8 years of 9-10 win seasons has been typical and the other 14 years of poor performance were akin to OU's troubles in the 90s. Clearly this program has tanked and, arguably, shows no signs of recovery any time soon.
Wrong. NU has averaged 8-5 over that time. A downturn compared to Bama, Ohio St and LSU? Yes. But a downturn compared to the overwhelming remainder of the rest of college football. No way.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back