• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic

it's a shame we're such naturals at driving off coaches & focusing on imperfections...

The human brain is instinctually wired to look for bad stuff... must have been some real nasty dinosaurs in the high plains region, or maybe they were just poorly coached :Biggrin:

Wrong. NU has averaged 8-5 over that time. A downturn compared to Bama, Ohio St and LSU? Yes. But a downturn compared to the overwhelming remainder of the rest of college football. No way.

There's a difference between an average and a trend (downturn.) So, yes, NU has averaged 8-5 post-Osborne. But the majority of those wins were by 2 of 5 coaches, Solich and Pelini. If you look at it, both coaches trended downward during their tenures even though they had respectable W/L records.

Pelini won, on average, 70.2%. Riley won 50%, Frost has won 37.5%. Notice the trend? In fact, since Solich, the W/L ratio of a coach has gone up only once, Pelini won 20% more games than his predecessor. That means 4 out of 5 coaches have a worse W/L rate than the coach before him. (Granted, Solich, or anyone for that matter, was never going to match TO's success.) That is a downward trend. And when you compare Solich's W/L rate (75.6%) to Frost's (37.5%), beginning to end it is a downward trend of epic proportion.

Numbers are based on years since 1998, inclusive.

There's a difference between an average and a trend (downturn.) So, yes, NU has averaged 8-5 post-Osborne. But the majority of those wins were by 2 of 5 coaches, Solich and Pelini. If you look at it, both coaches trended downward during their tenures even though they had respectable W/L records.

Pelini won, on average, 70.2%. Riley won 50%, Frost has won 37.5%. Notice the trend? In fact, since Solich, the W/L ratio of a coach has gone up only once, Pelini won 20% more games than his predecessor. That means 4 out of 5 coaches have a worse W/L rate than the coach before him. (Granted, Solich, or anyone for that matter, was never going to match TO's success.) That is a downward trend. And when you compare Solich's W/L rate (75.6%) to Frost's (37.5%), beginning to end it is a downward trend of epic proportion.

Numbers are based on years since 1998, inclusive.

I said AVERAGE so....

A trend is not 2 years plus a throwaway season. Sorry. And Riley was an atrocious hire. BTW 3 years is not a trend either. Three years and 2 years are blips.

Again, in this century, over a generation, NU has AVERAGED 8-5. Using your metric, and reiterating what was already posted, 70 pct of programs averaged worse.

I said AVERAGE so....

A trend is not 2 years plus a throwaway season. Sorry. And Riley was an atrocious hire. BTW 3 years is not a trend either. Three years and 2 years are blips.

Again, in this century, over a generation, NU has AVERAGED 8-5. Using your metric, and reiterating what was already posted, 70 pct of programs averaged worse.

Yes you said average, but you used "average" to cover up an unfavorable "trend." Apples to Oranges. NU was great once. It isn't anymore. Dispute that with an "average."

Last edited:

Yes you said average, but you used "average" to cover up an unfavorable "trend." Apples to Oranges. NU was great once. It isn't anymore. Dispute that with an "average."
No i used AVERAGE to cite AVERAGE. You called a blip a trend. It is not.

Nobody I know says NU is anywhere near great.

I am not covering up anything. Sports are cyclical. Yes even Bama, L$U (I think I read from the 80s to the early 2000s in something like that L$U also did not have a top 10 finish either, Clemson (no top ten finishes from 1990-2012) and everyone else has runs of bad seasons. Dispute that.

No i used AVERAGE to cite AVERAGE. You called a blip a trend. It is not.

Nobody I know says NU is anywhere near great.

I am not covering up anything. Sports are cyclical. Yes even Bama, L$U (I think I read from the 80s to the early 2000s in something like that L$U also did not have a top 10 finish either, Clemson (no top ten finishes from 1990-2012) and everyone else has runs of bad seasons. Dispute that.

I'm going to post this then I'm done with this thread.

Here's the beginning of the thread
Did you live in Oklahoma in the 90s? Did you watch Oh Ewe? Look at their records and our scores against them. Chill...

Why yes I did. They had about an 8 year downturn. Nebraska is on a 20 year downturn, with no end in sight of yet.

Twenty year downturn? Really? In those 20 years they have played for 4 or 5 conference championships, getting hosed in one, played for a Natty, and during the Pelini years averaged 9-10 wins. Revisionist history at its best calling it a 20 year downturn. Using that same metric most teams not named Bama, Clemson and LSU have had a 20 year downturn

Husker in Oklahoma stated NU was on a 20 year downturn (i.e. trend.) You disputed that with conference championship games, etc. and later on with an 8-5 average. None of which support your claim the stating a 20 year downturn is revisionist history.

Have a nice day.

Last edited:

Well he was actually 6’ tall and a senior in 2014. So I figure he’s being sarcastic. He was an awful center.

I wouldn't say he was awful. He was average most of the time, but just not big enough to avoid getting blown up by big D linemen. Is Justin Jackson the last really good center NU has had? I can't put Jurgens in that category until he stops snapping the ball to different zip codes.

I wouldn't say he was awful. He was average most of the time, but just not big enough to avoid getting blown up by big D linemen. Is Justin Jackson the last really good center NU has had? I can't put Jurgens in that category until he stops snapping the ball to different zip codes.
Jackson was a good player! Pelini as you stated was just undersized. So was Cole P.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back