• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Shatel on Luke McCaffery

I'm probably a bit older than you. And I here you that this generation has a different temperament as I have few in their mid 20's

What is lost in this conversation is the impact Frost's treatment of AM, Wondale and Luke have on the team.

If the team believes what Frost says about AM, Wondale, or Luke (future of team) then two of them leave, what is the message being heard by teammates?

I don't know what message is being received but what has not changed is individuals even young kids (delivery might be softer) want a vision to the future that they can grab onto. As it is difficult for me and others at this point to buy in to Frost's ability to right this ship, I think the same is true for quite a few players, some of which have chosen to pack their bags.

Consider the notion that after his last year at UCF, Frost's offense was hot, hot, hot. Who wouldn't want to be a part of that especially at a blue blood program like NU? Hasn't worked out that way. Disillusionment can be a strong motive to move on.

Remember when we were told we need to get old? In year 4 we’ll have an experienced QB and then almost nobody older than a RS Freshman or Sophomore. Furthermore, 2022 will likely be the same given the exodus that seems to happen on offense anymore.

I just can’t even comprehend having hope anymore. I honestly believe the next coach should be given much more leeway than frost because the situation (especially on offense) will be so much worse.

In year 4 we will have no RB experience and little to no WR experience (Betts and Brown). Yes we have a full RB room and a few WRs, but haven’t we had that the last 3 years too. Zero signs of development in those rooms. Eventually we’ll run them off (usually shortly after they start playing).

I'm inclined to think that a post-Frost coach (and I think Frost will be gone after next year IF the finances are in place to buy him out because I can't believe that suddenly things will click into place after 3 years of misery) could do pretty well with existing talent. Talent can overcome inexperience with the right system.

It comes down to Luke is not a P-5 QB plain and simple

In my opinion could be a great WR/RB

I think most folks agree with that
Agreed. Add 15-20 pounds to him and put him at RB. He already runs like Christian at 200 pounds while running a 4.46, imagine him at 6' 2" 218, probably running a mid to high 4.5, and a complete brute. Chasing his dream of playing QB, will probably end up at at smaller G5 school or Northern Colorado

Agree 100%. I still hate to see him leave. No disrespect to Wan'Dale but I thought LM was the best athlete on the team. Hopefully with 1500 in the portal he will weigh his options and reconsider. Kids are so fickle these days and sadly need a little ego stroking.

To 36's point, I get that it's a general point towards all the local media. But that doesn't mean that every article is needs to serve to ask tough questions. This article to me was a good article based solely on 1 player transferring and what that specific player transferring may mean. Now, a broader picture article on the state of the program? That is the one asking (hopefully) those troubling big picture questions.
Yep. I was just expressing frustration and the fact that the local media has tucked tail and has refused to ask those difficult questions. They have skirted around every minefield to avoid holding Scott's feet to the fire. How times have changed.

Yep. I was just expressing frustration and the fact that the local media has tucked tail and has refused to ask those difficult questions. They have skirted around every minefield to avoid holding Scott's feet to the fire. How times have changed.
They did the same with Riley and Eichorst.

I disagree.
LM would be a great QB in:
1. DR. Tom's mid 1990's offense.
2. in Air Force's triple option offense.
3. in anyone who runs a QB run based based RPO offense.

In Scott's UCF offense or a pro set offense, no LM has not shown that he has the arm strength of pocket sense to be a 65-70% passer in those types of offenses.

But to say LM could not flourish at the P5 level is not fair given that you have to match the player to the correct system. I think that this also applies to AM as well, except for the AM we saw the second half of his freshman year.

GBR

Winning accounts for most of that difference. Just win some dadgum games, and this gets better.
This is so true and that's where a lot of the pain comes from with this staff.
Look back at 2018 and 2019:
2018:
CU: Blow 17 point first half lead and lose.
Troy: three first half turnovers and allow a 58 yard punt return TD and lose in Lincoln.
Northwestern: Blow 14 point lead and lose in OT.
Iowa: late 4th quarter tie, lose to game ending field goal drive.

Good staff figures out a way to turn these games into wins, they were there to be won.
2019:
CU: lose in OT. kicking game is absolute disaster.
PU: 2nd sting Qb leads a long late 4th quarter drive to win game.
Iowa: 24 all tie at the end of 3 quarters. DONU again succombs to late 4th quarter field goal.

Here again, the staff had before them opportunities to steal these three games with the players they have and did not do so.
2018 and 2019 could have easily been winning seasons as outlined above, easing criticism, improving player retention in Covid 2020, and further enhancing recruiting this year.

To me, this is why its hard to believe that winning will occur in 2021, with its formidable schedule, is that history has shown that the staff has not risen to the challenge in the past when opportunities for wins presented themselves, why should we believe that they will in the future when no changes have been made to the system or the staff?

Its depressing :(, because you are right, only winning fixes this.

GBR

This is so true and that's where a lot of the pain comes from with this staff.
Look back at 2018 and 2019:
2018:
CU: Blow 17 point first half lead and lose.
Troy: three first half turnovers and allow a 58 yard punt return TD and lose in Lincoln.
Northwestern: Blow 14 point lead and lose in OT.
Iowa: late 4th quarter tie, lose to game ending field goal drive.

Good staff figures out a way to turn these games into wins, they were there to be won.
2019:
CU: lose in OT. kicking game is absolute disaster.
PU: 2nd sting Qb leads a long late 4th quarter drive to win game.
Iowa: 24 all tie at the end of 3 quarters. DONU again succombs to late 4th quarter field goal.

Here again, the staff had before them opportunities to steal these three games with the players they have and did not do so.
2018 and 2019 could have easily been winning seasons as outlined above, easing criticism, improving player retention in Covid 2020, and further enhancing recruiting this year.

To me, this is why its hard to believe that winning will occur in 2021, with its formidable schedule, is that history has shown that the staff has not risen to the challenge in the past when opportunities for wins presented themselves, why should we believe that they will in the future when no changes have been made to the system or the staff?

Its depressing :(, because you are right, only winning fixes this.

GBR

And this is why there is a divide right now, because the optimists will say this team is very close, and the pessimists will say they continue to lose. I absolutely understand the POV about the trend is they continue to lose, I sincerely do. But with the exception of OSU, the blowouts have essentially been eliminated. They were right there to beat Iowa the last 3 years, NW 2 of the last 3 years, etc. They just have to do it, and you either believe they will or you don't.

I disagree.
LM would be a great QB in:
1. DR. Tom's mid 1990's offense.
2. in Air Force's triple option offense.
3. in anyone who runs a QB run based based RPO offense.

In Scott's UCF offense or a pro set offense, no LM has not shown that he has the arm strength of pocket sense to be a 65-70% passer in those types of offenses.

But to say LM could not flourish at the P5 level is not fair given that you have to match the player to the correct system. I think that this also applies to AM as well, except for the AM we saw the second half of his freshman year.

GBR
Well, jumping in late here, but when I see Oklahoma or OSU chasing either of the McCaffrey's then I'll think both programs really lost out on something. Seems those coaches have the ability to transform/improve the QBS.

TO teams were better in some years with my memory because QB's frazier and others were able to complete quality passes at a better then 50% rate (the norm of the day). Frazier, Gill I believe would have been at or near the top in QB proficiency. Of course, having a perennially stocked All-American OL would help any QB.

I suspect that by the end of the season, NU will have a record that is good enough to keep Frost and be on enough of an upward trajectory to be much improved the next season and more in line with what we've expected for years.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back