• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Shatel on Luke McCaffery

I've been told by a pretty reliable source that 2 of the FLA kids were bad eggs and drug the other three with them and they were a cancer.
Great post, like most of yours are. But herein lies the problem. We can say, "We're better off" because those bad eggs aren't here now. And we probably are. But who's asking the question about WHY we got ourselves in that situation in the first place. That's what I'm talking about.

We also don't know what Scott promised and what changed. But nobody is digging to understand the truth. The fact of the matter is Luke wasn't even supposed to sniff game action for the first 2 years. He needed the development. So folks are making excuses saying "we gave him his shot, so I'm good with him leaving."

He wasn't ready (and may never be, but he was thrust into a situation he wasn't ready for). The question is WHY was an inexperienced QB, who needed lots of development, in the game in the first place? Why was he QB2? Is Scott so buddy buddy with his QBs that he sacrifices depth to pander to their feelings? If Luke is developing in the background, I doubt Luke is gone and we don't reap the rewards when he finally makes the transition to WR. Why isn't the press asking Scott why he has a room full of projects with frightening depth issues in YEAR 4? It's really stuff like this that bothers me about the local media.

Thanks for the dialogue.

Then scrap the damn QB thing and get the athlete in him on the field. We all know he is a terrific athlete. If he is he’ll be t on QB, then that means he has no desire to go to the league someday. He’s cutting his own throat.

Great post, like most of yours are. But herein lies the problem. We can say, "We're better off" because those bad eggs aren't here now. And we probably are. But who's asking the question about WHY we got ourselves in that situation in the first place. That's what I'm talking about.

We also don't know what Scott promised and what changed. But nobody is digging to understand the truth. The fact of the matter is Luke wasn't even supposed to sniff game action for the first 2 years. He needed the development. So folks are making excuses saying "we gave him his shot, so I'm good with him leaving."

He wasn't ready (and may never be, but he was thrust into a situation he wasn't ready for). The question is WHY was an inexperienced QB, who needed lots of development, in the game in the first place? Why was he QB2? Is Scott so buddy buddy with his QBs that he sacrifices depth to pander to their feelings? If Luke is developing in the background, I doubt Luke is gone and we don't reap the rewards when he finally makes the transition to WR. Why isn't the press asking Scott why he has a room full of projects with frightening depth issues in YEAR 4? It's really stuff like this that bothers me about the local media.

Thanks for the dialogue.

Vedral's stats at Rutgers this year weren't exactly eye popping. He completed 61.5% of his passes (136-221) with 9 TDs and 8 INT. He put his name in the portal in April and left for Rutgers on May 13, 2020. Given the *very* truncated and messed up spring, IMO it's more than possible that Frost, Verduzco and Lubick simply believed in April that McCaffrey was QB2. Once Vedral decided to leave, Frost's decision on the backup QB was pretty much made for him.

It comes down to Luke is not a P-5 QB plain and simple

In my opinion could be a great WR/RB

I think most folks agree with that
Why are we sure that he's transferring to play QB? Didn't Frost himself call Luke the future at QB? It seems like a lot of people are making this assumption and I don't see any evidence for it. Nothing Frost did or said that I'm aware of suggests he viewed Luke as anything other than a QB.

Why are we sure that he's transferring to play QB? Didn't Frost himself call Luke the future at QB? It seems like a lot of people are making this assumption and I don't see any evidence for it. Nothing Frost did or said that I'm aware of suggests he viewed Luke as anything other than a QB.

This is an interesting question. Nebraska was one of, if not the only P5 school, to offer LM a scholarship as a QB. It would be really weird if McCaffrey's decided he's not a P5 QB and wanted to switch positions and Frost said "no."

That said, I can't imagine a scenario where Frost wouldn't say yes to McCaffrey wanting to switch positions, especially because LM could, at the very least, likely be the #1 RB in spring practice.

Last edited:

How do we know he is not?

I agree Frost did say that however he also recently acknowledged the talk of the position change but that he would remain at QB. I believe that was after he spoke with Luke and his Dad

Assuming he wants to play more and with the prospect of Adrian being at Nebraska perhaps two more years he chose to go elsewhere to play QB

I will give you he may leave to play WR elsewhere if for no other reason he disagrees with where the program is going.

Not to mention he would be a hot commodity as a WR in my opinion

So yeah he could go elsewhere to play another position

This is an interesting question. Nebraska was one of, if not the only P5 school, to offer LM a scholarship as a QB. It would be really weird if McCaffrey's decided he's not a P5 QB and wanted to switch positions and Frost said "no."

That said, I can't imagine a scenario where Frost wouldn't say yes to McCaffrey wanting to switch positions, especially because LM could, at the very least, likely be the #1 RB in spring practice.

I highly doubt with his build he would be a starting RB. With his speed and vision he would be a nightmare at WR in the open field.

I highly doubt with his build he would be a starting RB. With his speed and vision he would be a nightmare at WR in the open field.

Agreed. I was more thinking about the fact that we still don't know whether Stepp will be eligible in 2021 and without Mills Nebraska's got a whole lot of ???? at RB.

It comes down to Luke is not a P-5 QB plain and simple

In my opinion could be a great WR/RB

I think most folks agree with that
Many of us would agree with Luke not being well served by playing QB, yet we have a head coach who just can't help but to put his foot in his mouth when just a week or two ago said Luke is the future of this program (implied at QB).

It does little for HCSF credibility which at this point he sorely lacks to continue to act as if everything is smashingly good or ok or just bad after three losing seasons and likely a fourth one will be added to that collection next season

Many of us would agree with Luke not being well served by playing QB, yet we have a head coach who just can't help but to put his foot in his mouth when just a week or two ago said Luke is the future of this program (implied at QB).

It does little for HCSF credibility which at this point he sorely lacks to continue to act as if everything is smashingly good or ok or just bad after three losing seasons and likely a fourth one will be added to that collection next season
This is the Shatel thread, right?
So, what did Shatel say?
Shatel said SF likely said used the future of the program to insure Luke would stay.

Now whether that was the motivations of SFs words or not is up for grabs, but I hadnt seen it mentioned in this, Shatel thread.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back