• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Shatel on Luke McCaffery

How do we know he is not?

I agree Frost did say that however he also recently acknowledged the talk of the position change but that he would remain at QB. I believe that was after he spoke with Luke and his Dad

Assuming he wants to play more and with the prospect of Adrian being at Nebraska perhaps two more years he chose to go elsewhere to play QB

I will give you he may leave to play WR elsewhere if for no other reason he disagrees with where the program is going.

Not to mention he would be a hot commodity as a WR in my opinion

So yeah he could go elsewhere to play another position

I think Luke’s inner monologue could be quite simple. If I want to play QB, I’ll give it a go at Nebraska. If I switch positions, I’d rather play elsewhere.

When you don't have the facts it is easy to invent a story that support your opinions...So far in this thread we have read...

• Luke doesn't want to switch positions
  • Scott won't admit his offense is struggling
  • Luke had to step up to #2 QB too early
What if instead the facts are Luke was willing to switch positions, but was also told he had to earn his spot at WR/Duck whatever and had some entitlement issues....Does anyone really know the story, or you just inventing one to fit your narrative. At the core are two things..does LM really beleive he is a Div I QB, the eye test says no so far. We were the only team to give him a shot. Time will tell what he thinks and which position he plays at his next stop. Young kids, even more mature ones still make decisions that are dumb and short sighted. This could be one of those times for LM.

As a leader you can't simply say 'we suck' or you lose your team. Frost has openly admitted improvement is needed. He also, right or wrong, believes in his system. That is leadership, and he has tweaked some things as he learns and grows as a coach. We can all admit it hasn't looked pretty so far, however the extreme of getting rid of Frost is far worse than letting it play out and allowing him at least one, if not two more seasons. This is one of those times you don;t change out the engine, you make some tweaks to the parts that comprise the engine and hope it runs more smoothly.

Vedral transferred. I also think Masker transferred. Luke, according to Frost was a clear #2 in the camp grading system. He earned the spot according to what we know. I don't think the plan was ever to start him last season, however injuries and AM poor performance forced an attempt to see if LM could get it done. He couldn't. Not having any kind of vertical threat pretty much ensured no QB was going to be successful the way the system was being run. I don't put a lot of faith in a single game, however the Rutgers game did show a glimpse of what could be. We need Steppe, Toure, Betts and the offense to make a leap this season or we will see more of the same. Just having a solid OL crew returning will make a huge difference.

Or blind haters like yourself don't have a clue. You sir have FDS - Frost Derangement Syndrome.
LOL. Very emotional.

If you think the media is asking the tough questions,, please provide examples. So far, through Scott's first 3 years, I haven't seen it. Like you, they are carrying his water.

p.s. You need to work on your acronyms. Originality counts!!!!!

Last edited:

Great post, like most of yours are. But herein lies the problem. We can say, "We're better off" because those bad eggs aren't here now. And we probably are. But who's asking the question about WHY we got ourselves in that situation in the first place. That's what I'm talking about.

We also don't know what Scott promised and what changed. But nobody is digging to understand the truth. The fact of the matter is Luke wasn't even supposed to sniff game action for the first 2 years. He needed the development. So folks are making excuses saying "we gave him his shot, so I'm good with him leaving."

He wasn't ready (and may never be, but he was thrust into a situation he wasn't ready for). The question is WHY was an inexperienced QB, who needed lots of development, in the game in the first place? Why was he QB2? Is Scott so buddy buddy with his QBs that he sacrifices depth to pander to their feelings? If Luke is developing in the background, I doubt Luke is gone and we don't reap the rewards when he finally makes the transition to WR. Why isn't the press asking Scott why he has a room full of projects with frightening depth issues in YEAR 4? It's really stuff like this that bothers me about the local media.

Thanks for the dialogue.

I think the biggest thing Frost needs to change is his vetting process. Make sure you know what kind of kid you are recruiting, even if you pass on a 4 star for a solid 3 star that is more of a fit. Making sure you know as much as humanly possible the extent of any injury to an incoming player: think AM, think Thompkins. Both very good players if healthy, but so far they haven't been able to get completely healthy, even the Nixon kid was hurt coming in. We've had just so many of them not work out that it becomes too much of a risk. We are getting beat with mid 3 star players by Wisconsin and iowa consistently and now Minn is berating us with the same caliber of player. It now seems that reaching for the 4 star player that is not an exact fit, hasn't worked. What gives me hope is the 2021 class and to a lesser extent the 2019 classes. The 2021 class signed with little or not drama, I think a higher percentage of these kids will stick. Some will become stars, some will be solid contributors and some will not work out and will transfer. Personally, I hate transferring and the transfer portal, but it is reality whether I like it or not. someday it may even be in our favor. Times have definitely changed.

When you don't have the facts it is easy to invent a story that support your opinions...So far in this thread we have read...

• Luke doesn't want to switch positions
  • Scott won't admit his offense is struggling
  • Luke had to step up to #2 QB too early
What if instead the facts are Luke was willing to switch positions, but was also told he had to earn his spot at WR/Duck whatever and had some entitlement issues....Does anyone really know the story, or you just inventing one to fit your narrative. At the core are two things..does LM really beleive he is a Div I QB, the eye test says no so far. We were the only team to give him a shot. Time will tell what he thinks and which position he plays at his next stop. Young kids, even more mature ones still make decisions that are dumb and short sighted. This could be one of those times for LM.

As a leader you can't simply say 'we suck' or you lose your team. Frost has openly admitted improvement is needed. He also, right or wrong, believes in his system. That is leadership, and he has tweaked some things as he learns and grows as a coach. We can all admit it hasn't looked pretty so far, however the extreme of getting rid of Frost is far worse than letting it play out and allowing him at least one, if not two more seasons. This is one of those times you don;t change out the engine, you make some tweaks to the parts that comprise the engine and hope it runs more smoothly.

Vedral transferred. I also think Masker transferred. Luke, according to Frost was a clear #2 in the camp grading system. He earned the spot according to what we know. I don't think the plan was ever to start him last season, however injuries and AM poor performance forced an attempt to see if LM could get it done. He couldn't. Not having any kind of vertical threat pretty much ensured no QB was going to be successful the way the system was being run. I don't put a lot of faith in a single game, however the Rutgers game did show a glimpse of what could be. We need Steppe, Toure, Betts and the offense to make a leap this season or we will see more of the same. Just having a solid OL crew returning will make a huge difference.

Good post and you're right, we don't always know the complete story. The only thing we know is 12-20, but I think you're right in that we need to stick with Frost and see how it plays out. Another coaching change will hurt and I'm still hopeful that He'll get it figured out. 2021 may not be that much better in the wins and losses category, but I think 2022 is the critical year for clear progress.

I think the biggest thing Frost needs to change is his vetting process. Make sure you know what kind of kid you are recruiting, even if you pass on a 4 star for a solid 3 star that is more of a fit. Making sure you know as much as humanly possible the extent of any injury to an incoming player: think AM, think Thompkins. Both very good players if healthy, but so far they haven't been able to get completely healthy, even the Nixon kid was hurt coming in. We've had just so many of them not work out that it becomes too much of a risk. We are getting beat with mid 3 star players by Wisconsin and iowa consistently and now Minn is berating us with the same caliber of player. It now seems that reaching for the 4 star player that is not an exact fit, hasn't worked. What gives me hope is the 2021 class and to a lesser extent the 2019 classes. The 2021 class signed with little or not drama, I think a higher percentage of these kids will stick. Some will become stars, some will be solid contributors and some will not work out and will transfer. Personally, I hate transferring and the transfer portal, but it is reality whether I like it or not. someday it may even be in our favor. Times have definitely changed.
Agreed on all accounts.

I would also throw in having a higher emphasis on the 500 and getting in much earlier with more effort, especially in this Covid environment where kids want to be close to home. We SHOULD take advantage of that.

Last edited:
Agreed on all accounts.

I would also throw in having a higher emphasis on the 500 and getting in much earlier with more effort, especially in this Covid environment where kids want to be close to home. We SHOULD to take advantage of that.

Yes, even going out to 550 or 600 and we'll have better retention. I was surprised that we had the most transfers except for Maryland. I think Mitch Sherman said 25 and Wisconsin only had 7. That's a big difference.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back