• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Shatel on Luke McCaffery

Great post, like most of yours are. But herein lies the problem. We can say, "We're better off" because those bad eggs aren't here now. And we probably are. But who's asking the question about WHY we got ourselves in that situation in the first place. That's what I'm talking about.

We also don't know what Scott promised and what changed. But nobody is digging to understand the truth. The fact of the matter is Luke wasn't even supposed to sniff game action for the first 2 years. He needed the development. So folks are making excuses saying "we gave him his shot, so I'm good with him leaving.

There a ton of players who have character flaws, and just as many coaches who believe with the right work, they can resolve those and turn a kid around. The number of successful transitions likely out number the failures, but even some of the failures end up in a kid making the needed change. Mills learned and developed with every staff he worked with. A couple of the kids who kids who went to Oregon State appear to have learned you can’t half ass your way to success, so even though the light didn’t go on here, hearing the same kind of message apparently finally sunk in.

Every staff we’ve had has taken at risk kids, because it’s a pretty simple study of socioeconomics that the athletes that fit many of the skill positions come from those situations more often. And when you think of the environment many of those kids are coming from, Lincoln has to be a pretty extreme culture shock, which adds to the challenge. Maybe if we were winning more, or could offer the academic prestige of a ND or Stanford, we could try and get predominately high character, elite athletes, but that’s not our reality. Given our decade of challenges, we are stuck with the choice of trying to succeed with the at risk/highly talented, or the high character/lesser athletically. Looking at our most recent class, perhaps the staff is looking to reduce the number of at risk players.

I’m a numbers guy and we have numbers at running back. At least five redshirt or true freshman and a transfer. Someone better emerge or Held should be on the hot seat.
Don’t forget that it was Held and the S&C staff that took Ozigbo from average to outstanding in 2018. We had gone 4 years without a 1000 yard rusher until Held showed up. Mills started off rough as a transfer and they had him playing like a stud the second half of his first season. He was unfortunately slowed by injuries. And Held had what could have been one of the top athletes at RB in a long time in Washington but his legal problems and personality flaws were too much to overcome. We’ve only seen glimpses of what Held can do. He is not a guy we want to let go.

Don’t forget that it was Held and the S&C staff that took Ozigbo from average to outstanding in 2018. We had gone 4 years without a 1000 yard rusher until Held showed up. Mills started off rough as a transfer and they had him playing like a stud the second half of his first season. He was unfortunately slowed by injuries. And Held had what could have been one of the top athletes at RB in a long time in Washington but his legal problems and personality flaws were too much to overcome. We’ve only seen glimpses of what Held can do. He is not a guy we want to let go.
Time to mention Mo,not his choices,but his talent.
I agree,and I really like Ervin

Time to mention Mo,not his choices,but his talent.
I agree,and I really like Ervin

Has the "full story" on Washington ever come out? The last story I see on him is from back in June 2020 when he was found safe after being reported missing for a few days. I wasn't aware that his legal troubles back in California were actually settled after he pleaded no contest and served a 30-day sentence and is on two years of probation.

I won"t disagree because it is

Make or break year for Frost in my opinion
I would agree, but if Moos is in his corner, who steps in to fire them both? Whoever it is better be ready for a lot of consequences. I don’t think the whole state is on the same page that Frost should go.

I would agree, but if Moos is in his corner, who steps in to fire them both? Whoever it is better be ready for a lot of consequences. I don’t think the whole state is on the same page that Frost should go.
I think this season goes well enough that we won’t have to worry about it.

If not, and the product is bad enough to warrant a change of head coach, then either Moos will do it or the president and chancellor will have to change ADs and the new AD will do it. It becomes a royal cluster frick if Frost doesn’t get to at least .500 this season. I think he will.

I think this season goes well enough that we won’t have to worry about it.

If not, and the product is bad enough to warrant a change of head coach, then either Moos will do it or the president and chancellor will have to change ADs and the new AD will do it. It becomes a royal cluster frick if Frost doesn’t get to at least .500 this season. I think he will.
It’s just really unfortunate if the leadership of Nebraska is hoping we go at least .500 so they don’t have to fire the native son. My oh my how far we have fallen.

It’s just really unfortunate if the leadership of Nebraska is hoping we go at least .500 so they don’t have to fire the native son. My oh my how far we have fallen.
Yeah but that’s where we’re at. We’re rebuilding, not starting from 2001. We’re not going to settle for .500, but right now we’re looking for progress. I know that is hard to swallow, especially for those of us who were around for the ‘70s through the ‘90s. We’re going to have to change our mindset a bit and accept the reality of where we are versus where we want to be. We’re going to get there, either with Frost or with someone else. But we will get back to our winning tradition again.

Yeah but that’s where we’re at. We’re rebuilding, not starting from 2001. We’re not going to settle for .500, but right now we’re looking for progress. I know that is hard to swallow, especially for those of us who were around for the ‘70s through the ‘90s. We’re going to have to change our mindset a bit and accept the reality of where we are versus where we want to be. We’re going to get there, either with Frost or with someone else. But we will get back to our winning tradition again.
Whatever your drinking, gimme 2.

And this is why there is a divide right now, because the optimists will say this team is very close, and the pessimists will say they continue to lose. I absolutely understand the POV about the trend is they continue to lose, I sincerely do. But with the exception of OSU, the blowouts have essentially been eliminated. They were right there to beat Iowa the last 3 years, NW 2 of the last 3 years, etc. They just have to do it, and you either believe they will or you don't.

All good points. And the divide you reference is one that is all too familiar for Husker fans since we began the revolving door experiment at HC.

One question in your opinion though, to the bolded - OSU is a different beast in the B1G, so whether you include them in your response is up to you, but if Nebraska suffers a couple blow out losses next season on its way to a .500 or even 1 game below .500 campaign, does the optimism shift for you?

Ya I don't think Held is our problem, but next year will be a big season for him as well. That guy is in on so many of our better recruits it would suck to lose him from the staff, but we also need him to develop a couple guys in that room quickly. The problem is that room is so young .... from time to time there are RBs who are just so special in terms of their physical development and ability to excel early that playing as a true Frosh or RS Frosh isn't a bit deal, we just don't know if we have anyone quite like that.

Ya I don't think Held is our problem, but next year will be a big season for him as well. That guy is in on so many of our better recruits it would suck to lose him from the staff, but we also need him to develop a couple guys in that room quickly. The problem is that room is so young .... from time to time there are RBs who are just so special in terms of their physical development and ability to excel early that playing as a true Frosh or RS Frosh isn't a bit deal, we just don't know if we have anyone quite like that.
Right on. Stepp will help if he can stay healthy. Gives those young guys time to develop.

Right on. Stepp will help if he can stay healthy. Gives those young guys time to develop.

Interested to see how Stepp plays out - hopefully he is eligible immediately. One thing I did like late in the year was getting Mills involved in the passing game. Stepp may be a really nice replacement to Mills, not sure about the pass catching part, but there are others in the backfield who have to be able to contribute there.

Nebraska has to figure out a way to get the RB room involved while a young WR room gains experience. And to save wear and tear on QB1.

Interested to see how Stepp plays out - hopefully he is eligible immediately. One thing I did like late in the year was getting Mills involved in the passing game. Stepp may be a really nice replacement to Mills, not sure about the pass catching part, but there are others in the backfield who have to be able to contribute there.

Nebraska has to figure out a way to get the RB room involved while a young WR room gains experience. And to save wear and tear on QB1.
Yep. Toure Martin and Falck should help the young guys at WR. And even though Betts will still be young he got quite a bit of playing time.

I expect Stepp to be eligible. The NCAA is kind of painted into a corner this year. They can’t possibly evaluate all 1500 transfers. They’re going to have to bite the bullet and grant waivers this year imo.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back