• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

7-0 Start?

If that schedule is on for any 1980s-early 2000s team I'd say likely 7-0. With the current state of Husker football I'm going to say highly unlikely. So many losses to inferior talent over the past few years. Sad, but Kool-aid doesn't get me going much anymore. I hope to be pleasantly surprised one of these years.

I believe we were predicting 8-1 heading to Madison before the 2019 season. 4-5 was the actual number. Purdue is 2-0 against Frost, Cincinnati returns a ton of starters off their double digit win team, every game against Northwestern seems to come down to the last possession, Illinois we were lucky we played them early last year, i'm just not counting much as gimmes until I see a reason to do so.
I can't figure out what anyone is looking at that says "7-0" start. There's a better chance we start 3-4 than 7-0.

Guys we can't go 7-0 or even 6-1 since there is no way the Governors of Michigan and Illinois will allow CMU, Illinois and Northwestern to play this year. :(

With all due respect I just don't agree with this. Nebraska's history is we have not been good enough to beat these teams consistently.

Point of clarification on that. I'm not saying that Nebraska was some Top 10 team and then we lay an egg against Illinois. That was the Oregon story a few years back with Stanford. Ducks were always a top team and then the Tree Men would show up here in Eugene and kick their teeth in.

My point was that Nebraska generally has better talent on the roster than the four Land-O-Lincoln schools in the conference. Not always, and those teams usually have a couple of playmakers. Check out 2018 Purdue for example. The Boilers dropped 42 points on us and they were a 6-7 team that year. I don't know their roster, but I can guarantee it wasn't full of guys like Stanley Morgan, Ozigbo, the Davis Twins, Lamar Jackson, etc. 2018 Nebraska wasn't our deepest roster by any stretch, but on paper that should be enough pieces for a coach like Frost to construct a winning game plan. Or at least look competitive.

Yes, I know that Purdue team was probably better than I'm giving them credit for. They also knocked off Ohio State. But that's kind of my point. A middling team who finished fourth in the division still rattled the Buckeyes' cage. We should be able to consistently play to the level of our division opponents and occasionally get a big upset like Riley got against Michigan State. But for whatever reason, we play beneath our level and find ways to piss games away.

Purdue- 50/50 Toss up. Win this game and it gives us a boost of confidence for the remainder of the season.
Central Michigan-Win
South Dakota ST-Win but will be difficult
Cinci-50/50 Toss up at best.
Northwestern-50/50 Toss up
Illinois-50/50 Toss up
Rutgers- Win

7-0 would be a Husker Miracle
5-2 would be more realistic
3-4 would be par for the course over the last 5 years.

Point of clarification on that. I'm not saying that Nebraska was some Top 10 team and then we lay an egg against Illinois. That was the Oregon story a few years back with Stanford. Ducks were always a top team and then the Tree Men would show up here in Eugene and kick their teeth in.

My point was that Nebraska generally has better talent on the roster than the four Land-O-Lincoln schools in the conference. Not always, and those teams usually have a couple of playmakers. Check out 2018 Purdue for example. The Boilers dropped 42 points on us and they were a 6-7 team that year. I don't know their roster, but I can guarantee it wasn't full of guys like Stanley Morgan, Ozigbo, the Davis Twins, Lamar Jackson, etc. 2018 Nebraska wasn't our deepest roster by any stretch, but on paper that should be enough pieces for a coach like Frost to construct a winning game plan. Or at least look competitive.

Yes, I know that Purdue team was probably better than I'm giving them credit for. They also knocked off Ohio State. But that's kind of my point. A middling team who finished fourth in the division still rattled the Buckeyes' cage. We should be able to consistently play to the level of our division opponents and occasionally get a big upset like Riley got against Michigan State. But for whatever reason, we play beneath our level and find ways to piss games away.

Although NU lost to PU in 2018, they outgained the Boilers and would have most likely won had they not had well over 100 yds on 13 penalties. As you say, that is a team that beat OSU. So, maybe we should be saying that Purdue team under achieved to end up with a losing record? Maybe it isn't always that NU failed to live up to what they should have done. I would say Brycen Hopkins, Rondale Moore, etc are probably better football players than any of those you mentioned that played for NU.

Sometimes our koolaid-aided view is just not necessarily where NU is/was in reality.

Although NU lost to PU in 2018, they outgained the Boilers and would have most likely won had they not had well over 100 yds on 13 penalties. As you say, that is a team that beat OSU. So, maybe we should be saying that Purdue team under achieved to end up with a losing record? Maybe it isn't always that NU failed to live up to what they should have done. I would say Brycen Hopkins, Rondale Moore, etc are probably better football players than any of those you mentioned that played for NU.

Sometimes our koolaid-aided view is just not necessarily where NU is/was in reality.
That Purdue team beat us by 14 at home. We were down 21 in the 4th quarter. Many of us Husker fan's overestimate our ability and underestimate the Purdue's of the world. Makes those losses even harder because we generally think we are significantly better than "those" teams.

All I know is we start out against a team Frost is 0-2 against. Now, they are installing a new defense with no spring and a DC that we all despise. If we lose that one.... i'm going to be real worried.
If they lose that one, there probably won’t be anything to worry about at all. The losses don’t even hurt anymore. Almost expected. Now, when NU wins, it’s almost as shocking as it used to be when NU lost. None of us can do anything about it.

7-0 would be a Husker Miracle
5-2 would be more realistic
3-4 would be par for the course over the last 5 years.
If we are 3-4 or even 4-3, does anyone think we don’t lose the last 5? I just couldn’t take 5-2 and the having 5 weeks of not getting to bowl eligibility. That would destroy most every glass half full fan left.

If we are 3-4 or even 4-3, does anyone think we don’t lose the last 5? I just couldn’t take 5-2 and the having 5 weeks of not getting to bowl eligibility. That would destroy most every glass half full fan left.

Sounds like a lot of people are putting a ton of stock in the purdue game. This team has shown progress each year, in my opinion. A loss to purdue doesn't doom us for the entire season, though gut punches early in most fights end up costing the boxer down the road, not helping them be stronger in the later rounds.

Talking myself into thinking the Purdue game will be pivotal to the first half of the year.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back