• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

7-0 Start?

The schedule is there to allow for a 7-0 start, but it would take a lot of things going right. And things haven't really gone right in Lincoln since early November of 2001. Any Osborne team would almost certainly be 7-0 against that schedule. A Pelini team would probably go 6-1 against that schedule. A Callahan or Riley team probably goes 4-3 or 3-4 against that schedule. (I'm leaving out Solich because it is too political and I don't want to derail the thread). Unfortunately, Frost's on-field results so far look a lot more like Callahan and Riley than they do Osborne or even Pelini.

Mostly true except Callahan and Riley records way better that Frost's. Would be a while before our boy reaches Pelini level

We all want 7 - 0 to start. In fact, I think we'd all be absolutely giddy at 7 - 0. But I will take 5 - 2 and hope for 6 - 1, with the one perhaps being Cinci. I can see us taking at least 2 with the final 5, but I'm not as sure about that at all at this point in time.

5-2 would be a solid start. 7-0 -- I'd be more than a bit surprised.

Frost is 0-2 against Purdue. We lost to Purdue last season when they had to go to their 3rd string QB and Rondale Moore didn't even play that game. A couple of recent articles suggest he's fully healthy now -- and if so, will be the best player on the field.

All three of our 2020 non-conference opponents were in the postseason last season. None of our 2019 non-conference opponents were in the postseason (lost to Colorado, struggled to beat 2-10 South Alabama).

Central Michigan won the MAC last season.
South Dakota State is typically a top 10 FCS team (who took Minnesota to the wire last year).
Cincinnati has had back-to-back 11-win seasons.

@Northwestern. Needed a miracle FG to beat NW last season -- the worst Northwestern team in many years.
Illinois. Needed our biggest comeback of the season to beat the Illini in 2019.
@Rutgers. Yes, lowly -- but likely improved in 2020 with Schiano back.

I don't know that there's a single game in the first seven that is an automatic win. We certainly haven't done anything the past three seasons to suggest we are ready to assume any opponent is an automatic win. I could see 4-3 -- which would put a ton of pressure to get two wins from the final five games. 5-2, as mentioned, would have to be considered a success based on the past three years.

Last edited:

The biggest. Crazy thing is, we could be significantly better than we were last year and not have the W-L record to show it. The schedule is brutal.......

Yeah, I agree.

Ideally by year three, I would have thought you could really check many of the first 7 off as 'Wins' without much debate. I don't know if you can do that to any game but Rutgers. The team could be playing substantially better football and still struggle to reach bowl eligibility.

5-2 would be a solid start. 7-0 -- I'd be more than a bit surprised.

Frost is 0-2 against Purdue. We lost to Purdue last season when they had to go to their 3rd string QB and Rondale Moore didn't even play that game. A couple of recent articles suggest he's fully healthy now -- and if so, will be the best player on the field.

All three of our 2020 non-conference opponents were in the postseason last season. None of our 2019 non-conference opponents were in the postseason (lost to Colorado, struggled to beat 2-10 South Alabama).

Central Michigan won the MAC last season.
South Dakota State is typically a top 10 FCS team (who took Minnesota to the wire last year).
Cincinnati has had back-to-back 11-win seasons.

@Northwestern. Needed a miracle FG to beat NW last season -- the worst Northwestern team in many years.
Illinois. Needed our biggest comeback of the season to beat the Illini in 2019.
@Rutgers. Yes, lowly -- but likely improved in 2020 with Schiano back.

I don't know that there's a single game in the first seven that is an automatic win. We certainly haven't done anything the past three seasons to suggest we are ready to assume any opponent is an automatic win. I could see 4-3 -- which would put a ton of pressure to get two wins from the final five games. 5-2, as mentioned, would have to be considered a success based on the past three years.
Good points but every year is different. We have better players imo. Get good AM we should differently be 7-0. It’s like using Callahan and Riley winning 9 games the year before so they have to be the same or better. Doesn’t work that way.

Last edited:
Let's just assume we play ball this year.

I think there's a decent chance we jump to a 7-0 start. Not guaranteeing it by any means, but playing Purdue early seems like an advantage. Nebraska has a history of playing down to teams like Purdue, Northwestern and Illinois, which are our first three conference opponents, and Purdue is the season opener. The consensus is that we generally beat those teams on talent alone but lose the game to poor execution and their coaches out-thinking us in the playbook.

Cincinnati is a big question mark. That game won't be easy. And Central Michigan isn't terrible, either. We could easily be 3-4.

But a matchup of 7-0 Nebraska heading into the 'Shoe to face an undefeated Buckeye squad sure feels like a GameDay possibility. Here's hoping we get a fast start and make a respectable showing in Columbus. That thought will probably get me through the rest of this shutdown.
I like your optimism, but I do NOT want a GameDay matchup vs OSU until we’re a consistent team. We’ve been embarrassed on the national stage too many times to count.

As far as 7-0 goes, it’s possible, I’m guessing more like 5-2 or 6-1 at best.

Lurker44, post: 4367560

“As far as 7-0 goes, it’s possible, I’m guessing more like 5-2 or 6-1 at best.”
The biggest downer would to be at 5-2 and lose the last 5 and not get to a bowl. Hope we are 6-1.

Last edited:
Considering where NU currently sits, thinking about 7-0 and game day at Ohio State seems unreasonable, and another likely beat down. This team needs a one game at a time mentality. I’m just hopeful this team makes a damn bowl game, let alone a 7-0 start, if, there is a season.

Last edited:
Lurker44, post: 4367560

“As far as 7-0 goes, it’s possible, I’m guessing more like 5-2 or 6-1 at best.”
The biggest downer would to be at 5-2 and lose the last 5 and not get to a bowl. Hope we are 6-1.
If we are not 6-1, I would be concerned about ‘team pressing’ down the back stretch of the season.

I believe we were predicting 8-1 heading to Madison before the 2019 season. 4-5 was the actual number. Purdue is 2-0 against Frost, Cincinnati returns a ton of starters off their double digit win team, every game against Northwestern seems to come down to the last possession, Illinois we were lucky we played them early last year, i'm just not counting much as gimmes until I see a reason to do so.

I don't think there's a season to worry about anyways.

Sadly, I agree. Unless of course you play in the SEC. In fact, I just saw the "revised" preseason NCAA top 20:

1. Alabama
2. LSU
3. Florida
4. Georgia
5. Auburn
6. Missouri
7. Texas A&M
8. Mississippi
9. Mississippi St
10. South Carolina
11. Tennessee
12. Kentucky
13. Arkansas
14. Vanderbilt
15-20. Alabama again

Good points but every year is different. We have better players imo. Get good AM we should differently be 7-0. It’s like using Callahan and Riley winning 9 games the year before so they have to be the same or better. Doesn’t work that way.

I think we'll be better in spots -- and not in others.

Offensive line should be better. Defensive line probably won't be.

I'm skeptical about the receivers, assuming Speilman is gone. RB's should be as good or better.

To me, it all hinges on Martinez. If he's where he should be as a 3rd year starter (better than his freshman season, a lot better than last season), we'll have potential to do well. But that's such an unknown at this point that it's difficult to rely upon. Let alone the fact that history suggests at some point he'll be injured.

Yes, every year is different. Nothing is off the table. But when making predictions, you tend to start with recent trends. And they've been unkind for Nebraska in recent years. Now, that doesn't mean it will continue, but there's no hard evidence we'll be leaps and bounds better. Could happen, wouldn't put money on it. Also, the Big Ten as a whole keeps getting better -- and we haven't been keeping pace. It's definitely a better all-around football conference than when Bo was coaching in Lincoln.

I think many Nebraska fans' frame of mind is "we're Nebraska, we win championships." But that's so last century -- and last century was a long time ago and meaningless now.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back