• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

7-0 Start?

DuckTownHusker

Blackshirt Sith Lord
10 Year Member
Let's just assume we play ball this year.

I think there's a decent chance we jump to a 7-0 start. Not guaranteeing it by any means, but playing Purdue early seems like an advantage. Nebraska has a history of playing down to teams like Purdue, Northwestern and Illinois, which are our first three conference opponents, and Purdue is the season opener. The consensus is that we generally beat those teams on talent alone but lose the game to poor execution and their coaches out-thinking us in the playbook.

Cincinnati is a big question mark. That game won't be easy. And Central Michigan isn't terrible, either. We could easily be 3-4.

But a matchup of 7-0 Nebraska heading into the 'Shoe to face an undefeated Buckeye squad sure feels like a GameDay possibility. Here's hoping we get a fast start and make a respectable showing in Columbus. That thought will probably get me through the rest of this shutdown.

Let's just assume we play ball this year.

I think there's a decent chance we jump to a 7-0 start. Not guaranteeing it by any means, but playing Purdue early seems like an advantage. Nebraska has a history of playing down to teams like Purdue, Northwestern and Illinois, which are our first three conference opponents, and Purdue is the season opener. The consensus is that we generally beat those teams on talent alone but lose the game to poor execution and their coaches out-thinking us in the playbook.

Cincinnati is a big question mark. That game won't be easy. And Central Michigan isn't terrible, either. We could easily be 3-4.

But a matchup of 7-0 Nebraska heading into the 'Shoe to face an undefeated Buckeye squad sure feels like a GameDay possibility. Here's hoping we get a fast start and make a respectable showing in Columbus. That thought will probably get me through the rest of this shutdown.

Seems like we say this every year. But sure why not, I'm in!

I certainly hope you forgot the sarcasm emoji! No way in all Hell we are 7-0 in the next 4 years

The schedule is there to allow for a 7-0 start, but it would take a lot of things going right. And things haven't really gone right in Lincoln since early November of 2001. Any Osborne team would almost certainly be 7-0 against that schedule. A Pelini team would probably go 6-1 against that schedule. A Callahan or Riley team probably goes 4-3 or 3-4 against that schedule. (I'm leaving out Solich because it is too political and I don't want to derail the thread). Unfortunately, Frost's on-field results so far look a lot more like Callahan and Riley than they do Osborne or even Pelini.

We really do have the tale of two seasons this year. So many winnable games before our Bye week and then the second of the seasons...

Hoping for 7-0 start isn't crazy, to me. I would be surprised if we are underdogs in any of those games, and if so probably by only a point or two.

When I look at the schedule I think 4-3 and 7-0 are equally as likely, but I would not give either great odds.

It sure would be fun to be 6-1 or to meet your prediction here. That probably means we have a guy in early Heisman talks and several other really fun things.

Other than opening with Purdue, I like the early schedule. I still don't really know what to think of this team and while I do think the first seven are winnable, I just have to see it to believe it. 5-2 seems likely. 4-3 would be a disappointment and a losing record after seven would be a disaster.

Those last five games are a nasty stretch for a team that just isn't there yet. They might be by the time October rolls around, but we just haven't seen it yet.

Big year for this staff and the program.

The Bearcats will likely be a top 15 team when they come to Lincoln, Frost hasn’t beaten Purdue yet and Northwestern has proven to anything but a sure thing when we play them.

Next season could really be a painful one if they aren’t ready

I'm not nearly as optimistic enough to think we'll start 7-0. I'm expecting 5-2 right now. NU plays OSU on Halloween, which is appropriate because it will likely be another nightmare of a game. It's on my birthday and I'm not expecting the 'skers to come through with a gift that day.

Other than opening with Purdue, I like the early schedule. I still don't really know what to think of this team and while I do think the first seven are winnable, I just have to see it to believe it. 5-2 seems likely. 4-3 would be a disappointment and a losing record after seven would be a disaster.

Those last five games are a nasty stretch for a team that just isn't there yet. They might be by the time October rolls around, but we just haven't seen it yet.

Big year for this staff and the program.

The biggest. Crazy thing is, we could be significantly better than we were last year and not have the W-L record to show it. The schedule is brutal.......

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back