• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Federation of Fellow Fly-Fishing Football Fanatics

I see. So, you're more old school, huh?

giphy.gif
Holy freggin crap ...... definition of underestimation

Is that a grouper?
Permit. There are some similarities, but a grouper isn't as shiny, has a different tale, and has a "face" with jaws that hinge, looking like a largemouth. Here's a permit in profile:

maxresdefault.jpg

Here's a grouper in profile:

202@2x.jpg

I've never caught any of these, so I'm just repeating what I know from reading articles and watching YouTube videos. There are several species of grouper, and there is one that is more silvery, but I couldn't find that one's picture.

Anybody been tarpon fishing? Was fighting one for an hour and 15 minutes down by Tampa, Florida..... then handed him off to one of my buddies cause he hadn’t had a nibble all day. It took all day to get that strike but well worth it. I will try to find a few pictures that my buddy took while it was jumping next to the boat (it’s not on my phone anymore) The captain said it must have been a 175 lb tarpon. Great memories

Last edited:

After working with some Japanese businessmen and seeing their pictures and sharing stories about trout fishing, my dad started talking about the two of us taking a trip to New Zealand to trout fish in the late '70's. For one reason or another the trip wouldn't happen. Too much work to do for him. School and then work for me. It was always something. We had incredible fishing trips all over the American West, so while I certainly don't feel cheated, it was a trip both of us wanted and it's still a trip I'd like to take, especially after watching videos like this.

Anybody been tarpon fishing? Was fighting one for an hour and 15 minutes down by Tampa, Florida..... then handed him off to one of my buddies cause he hadn’t had a nibble all day. It took all day to get that strike but well worth it. I will try to find a few pictures that my buddy took while it was jumping next to the boat (it’s not on my phone anymore) The captain said it must have been a 175 lb tarpon. Great memories
I was down in the keys a couple years ago and hit it just right. There is nothing like the fist minute of fighting a tarpon.
20200412_180854.png

When I still lived in Oklahoma, I had a neighbor that liked fishing as much as me and my friends. And one day, he sees me and a couple of friends getting our gear in the car and asks us where we were going and what we were fishing for. We tell him, and he goes something like, Oh, I love fishing for crappy". We all looked at each other and said "WHAT?" It's crappie, like, crop-E, and he goes no, it's crappie, like crap-E. We all just laughed and got in the car and drove off, never did fish with that guy. LOL, how do you guys pronounce it. Maybe that is a British way of saying it, I dunno, but he wasn't British. What say you.....

When I still lived in Oklahoma, I had a neighbor that liked fishing as much as me and my friends. And one day, he sees me and a couple of friends getting our gear in the car and asks us where we were going and what we were fishing for. We tell him, and he goes something like, Oh, I love fishing for crappy". We all looked at each other and said "WHAT?" It's crappie, like, crop-E, and he goes no, it's crappie, like crap-E. We all just laughed and got in the car and drove off, never did fish with that guy. LOL, how do you guys pronounce it. Maybe that is a British way of saying it, I dunno, but he wasn't British. What say you.....
You got it right

After working with some Japanese businessmen and seeing their pictures and sharing stories about trout fishing, my dad started talking about the two of us taking a trip to New Zealand to trout fish in the late '70's. For one reason or another the trip wouldn't happen. Too much work to do for him. School and then work for me. It was always something. We had incredible fishing trips all over the American West, so while I certainly don't feel cheated, it was a trip both of us wanted and it's still a trip I'd like to take, especially after watching videos like this.

Speaking of New Zealand and trout fishing, I'm doing an experiment: watch this video and then tell me if the words "New Zealand" and "mouse" make you want to hop on a plane and go there.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back