• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Federation of Fellow Fly-Fishing Football Fanatics

Haven't fished the Bitterroot. Flathead, Gallatin, Madison, Missouri and Big Hole and loved them all for one reason or another.

I've only hit maybe three or four stonefly hatches right in the forty plus years I've been fly fishing, but they are awesome.

Closest thing I can compare it to is a Green Drake hatch I hit on the Roaring Fork in Colorado in the mid '80's. It was unreal.
I hear that the green drake hatch of the Roaring Fork is amazing. I am lucky that I live within 2 hours of the Big Hole, Clark Fork, Rock Creek, Blackfoot, Beaverhead, Ruby and Jefferson rivers and fish stonefly hatches half of the summer. My favorite is the salmonfly hatch on the Big hole. It is almost always best the second to third of June unless we have a huge snow pack and is blown out. If you are ever up this way and want some info.... give me a shout and I should be able to line you out. There is always good fishing up here, just got to know which river to hit.

I’m doing tons of research already. (Just to know what the pertinent questions would be)
Do you want me to put together a starter kit for you? I can either lend you some of my stuff that I no longer use, or I could figure out something for you to buy if you give me a ballpark budget. I have enough flies for an army of fly fishermen, and panfish flies are the cheapest of all, so don't buy any. I'll give you more than enough to figure out if you like fly fishing. By then you'll be hooked, and then it's too late. It's kind of like crack cocaine, except it's more expensive. Be glad that you're not near a fly shop.

Also, since you're in the Omaha area, do NOT buy anything from Cabela's or Bass Pro without talking to me first. There had been a lot of really good Cabela's fly fishing gear in the past, but those days are mostly over now. BPS isn't worth what it costs.

Last edited:
If you are ever up this way and want some info.... give me a shout and I should be able to line you out. There is always good fishing up here, just got to know which river to hit.
I'm seriously going to do this. I'm not sure if things will get straightened out in time for a trip this summer, but you're now on my list for info on where to go.

Do you want me to put together a starter kit for you? I can either lend you some of my stuff that I no longer use, or I could figure out something for you to buy if you give me a ballpark budget. I have enough flies for an army of fly fishermen, and panfish flies are the cheapest of all, so don't buy any. I'll give you more than enough to figure out if you like fly fishing. By then you'll be hooked, and then it's too late. It's kind of like crack cocaine, except it's more expensive. Be glad that you're not near a fly shop.

Also, since you're in the Omaha area, do NOT buy anything from Cabela's or Bass Pro without talking to me first. There had been a lot of really good Cabela's fly fishing gear in the past, but those days are mostly over now. BPS isn't worth what it costs.
I would like your thoughts on a starter kit. I don’t know enough to have the right questions at this point. I think you suggested a pole earlier in this post; I’ll check that out. I’ve already checked out some line there (got a Cabela store about 3 miles from me). I found some way cheaper on amazon.

I would like your thoughts on a starter kit. I don’t know enough to have the right questions at this point. I think you suggested a pole earlier in this post; I’ll check that out. I’ve already checked out some line there (got a Cabela store about 3 miles from me). I found some way cheaper on amazon.
You're going to get lots of different feedback from different folks because almost no 2 people agree on everything, but let's get that conversation started in another thread because I have a hunch that you won't be the only one who's interested. I'll write up a thorough post tomorrow and ask for others to argue, comment, etc. If you want to keep it as cheap and simple as possible, and you don't mind using used gear, you can be set up with all you need in very decent gear for around $100. If you want a new rod and/or pay full retail on your fly line, that price doubles. If you want equipment that you'll still be happy with in 5+ years, that price doubles again. If you want top of the line ... well, your heart probably isn't ready for the price of that. I'll explain more tomorrow in the new thread, and I'll drop a link here for it once it's posted.

I hear that the green drake hatch of the Roaring Fork is amazing. I am lucky that I live within 2 hours of the Big Hole, Clark Fork, Rock Creek, Blackfoot, Beaverhead, Ruby and Jefferson rivers and fish stonefly hatches half of the summer. My favorite is the salmonfly hatch on the Big hole. It is almost always best the second to third of June unless we have a huge snow pack and is blown out. If you are ever up this way and want some info.... give me a shout and I should be able to line you out. There is always good fishing up here, just got to know which river to hit.

I fished Colorado and Wyoming rivers for 30+ years and caught only a handful of Green Drake hatches and that one was memorable. Usually I'm too early or too late. Awesome place to live.

My sister lives outside of Big Fork and I've got a nephew in Kalispell and my wife's uncle is in Whitefish, so we went up this past summer for a visit. It was too 'family' oriented to book any serious fishing time, but I hope to take an extended trip up there in the coming years.

You're going to get lots of different feedback from different folks because almost no 2 people agree on everything, but let's get that conversation started in another thread because I have a hunch that you won't be the only one who's interested. I'll write up a thorough post tomorrow and ask for others to argue, comment, etc. If you want to keep it as cheap and simple as possible, and you don't mind using used gear, you can be set up with all you need in very decent gear for around $100. If you want a new rod and/or pay full retail on your fly line, that price doubles. If you want equipment that you'll still be happy with in 5+ years, that price doubles again. If you want top of the line ... well, your heart probably isn't ready for the price of that. I'll explain more tomorrow in the new thread, and I'll drop a link here for it once it's posted.
My first task is to read all 18 pages of this thread. Awesome content from various people. No better education than from people that’s been there, done that.

I fished Colorado and Wyoming rivers for 30+ years and caught only a handful of Green Drake hatches and that one was memorable. Usually I'm too early or too late. Awesome place to live.

My sister lives outside of Big Fork and I've got a nephew in Kalispell and my wife's uncle is in Whitefish, so we went up this past summer for a visit. It was too 'family' oriented to book any serious fishing time, but I hope to take an extended trip up there in the coming years.
I grew up fishing the North Platte in Wyoming and it is still my favorite river (though the dry fly fishing isn't near what we have it Montana). I have never fished any Colorado stuff but I hear tell of some monster trout in the tailwaters down there.

Bought the house we live in in 2012 and immediately started looking at building an office in the attic of the detached garage that would also have a fly tying corner. Started framing the thing almost immediately, then I was on the road. First Huntsville, then Savannah. Spent a week at home in 2015 and finished the framing and started electrical rough in. Nothing again until I quit my job last January and spent all of February finishing the electrical, hung, finished and painted the drywall, laid tile and grouted, set cabinets and installed trim...then I accepted another offer and went back to work. Nothing again until a few weeks ago when I set the countertops for the fly tying desk and the gun worktop area. Last weekend I dug everything out and started setting things up and today was the finishing of that. Just shy of 8 years and I'm finally ready to tie again. This isn't a good thing for my marriage.

thumbnail_IMG_4381.jpg

Looking good! Wish I was that organized. Went fishing today and it was outstanding. Here is a pic of my wife with a nice one from today.

Attachments

• 20200418_165148.jpg
    20200418_165148.jpg
    853.3 KB · Views: 78

Looking good! Wish I was that organized. Went fishing today and it was outstanding. Here is a pic of my wife with a nice one from today.
Whatever this says about me is up to Freud, but the first thing I noticed was not your pretty wife or that nice fish, it was the back of that seat on your boat.... Do you have a Clackacraft?

Last edited:
Bought the house we live in in 2012 and immediately started looking at building an office in the attic of the detached garage that would also have a fly tying corner. Started framing the thing almost immediately, then I was on the road. First Huntsville, then Savannah. Spent a week at home in 2015 and finished the framing and started electrical rough in. Nothing again until I quit my job last January and spent all of February finishing the electrical, hung, finished and painted the drywall, laid tile and grouted, set cabinets and installed trim...then I accepted another offer and went back to work. Nothing again until a few weeks ago when I set the countertops for the fly tying desk and the gun worktop area. Last weekend I dug everything out and started setting things up and today was the finishing of that. Just shy of 8 years and I'm finally ready to tie again. This isn't a good thing for my marriage.

View attachment 42129
I see some Dr. Slick scissors, and is that a Peak rotary vice?

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back