• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Federation of Fellow Fly-Fishing Football Fanatics

I like that you can usually get in close without spooking the fish. It feels like hunting.

So many of those rivers in Colorado and Wyoming you couldn't see the fish in those runs, riffles and eddies. You'd just pick a likely spot and drift a fly through. I'd also let it go through the entire swing and was frequently rewarded for my patience with a fish when the fly finished it's swing across the river.

I hate South Carolina when I'm talking about stuff like this.

If a rock is big enough to create a slight boil at the surface, there's usually a trout in front of it and one either behind it or on the side next to the main current. It's the same with almost every type of river fish. It's the same for smallmouth, channel catfish, and even walleye & sauger. I've been basically been "drop-shotting" lures and baits in small stream my whole life, but we never had a name for it. Here are two videos where Kelly Galloup describes how he uses what is basically the fly fishing equivalent of the bass drop-shot rig, and this is pretty much what I do in pocket water or in pools in small streams or along the banks during high water. It works.

I hate South Carolina when I'm talking about stuff like this.
Yeah, but you've got redfish in the flats there, and you can go just offshore and catch most of the northern saltwater fish and most of the Florida target species. You'll miss SC if you leave there. I lived in Almaty, Kazakhstan for 4 years, and it wasn't until halfway through the last year that I finally figured out where I could go trout fishing. I hated that I (thought that I) couldn't fish there for 3 1/2 years, and now I hate that I wasn't fishing all of the time. It took me fishing in Virginia in smallmouth streams to remember how much I love fishing in the natural part of the Missouri River for bass and walleye.

Last edited:
Yeah, but you've got redfish in the flats there, and you can go just offshore and catch most of the northern saltwater fish and most of the Florida target species. You'll miss SC if you leave there. I lived in Almaty, Kazakhstan for 4 years, and it wasn't until halfway through the last year that I finally figured out where I could go trout fishing. I hated that I (thought that I) couldn't fish there for 3 1/2 years, and now I hate that I wasn't fishing all of the time. It took me fishing in Virginia in smallmouth streams to remember how much I love fishing in the natural part of the Missouri River for bass and walleye.

I hear ya, but there’s just something different about a cold mountain stream and a fly rod.

I go back and forth on those days between white, silver, and shiny patterns or all black, large silhouette patterns. Do you ever fish with two streamers at the same time? If so, put an all black Marabou Muddler up front and trail a white and silver Woolly Bugger behind it, and you're covering both bases. Sometimes yellow seems to work well on dark days or murky water, but I've rarely ever had any luck with it in clear water or bright days. Anyone else have this experience with colors?
I've had better luck with bronze beadheads when the water is murky.

I've had better luck with bronze beadheads when the water is murky.
That's interesting. I don't use a lot of bronze beadheads at any time, and I have no obvious reason for it other than I tie and use mostly silver, gold, or black bead stuff (and a few bright beads for special things, but not relevant). I need to try some bronze beads now.

Absolutely agree ... but after a few years of living in the mountains next to a trout stream ... you'll wish that you'd spent more time fishing in SC.

I don’t know man.

I like the winters here....except for the damned rain.

I just need to retire to Staniel Cay and get tired of the beach.

Staniel Cay
Hmmm, makes me think of a certain species of fish that we can't mention, or your "friends" will add it to a certain thread that lacks context....

DSC_8928.jpg

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back