• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Being "Competitive"

I think people who say they just want to be competitive would be happy with that only as long as it took for it to become the new normal. Then they would say "Sure we're close. But why can't our coach get us over the hump? Why can't he win the big one? Why aren't we more consistent?"

Really, like all of us, they want to win all the games, and generally in dominating fashion. There's nothing wrong with that. That's the goal, after all. I just think asking to at least be competitive is what some people ask for when it seems unrealistic to ask for a national championship yet. So I don't give it much credence.

Last edited:

The catastrophic blow-outs to average teams has been greatly reduced in the Frost era. Ohio State and Michigan hammered us, but other than that, we haven't been blown off the field (except maybe Minny this year). Ugly blowouts became a fixture the last several years under Pelini.

If HCSF took the job at Nebraska to simply elevate the program to just being competive I'd be very disappointed. Good teams seldom suffer blow outs and beat teams like Purdue, IU, CU etc. When Nebraska starts playing complete games and stops finding innovative ways to lose will be a big step in the right direction. The goal should be winning conference titles, being ranked in the Top 15 and playing in major bowl games. Until or unless that happens under HCSF I'll continue to be less then satisfied where the program stands.

I hear and see fans wanting the Huskers to be "competitive," but I'm assuming that means different things to different people.

We've lost 13 games in 2018 and 2019 (so far). If you go by final scores, you could argue that we've been competitive in all but 4 games. 9 of the 13 losses have been by one or two possessions.

On the other hand, a good chunk of those "competitive" losses have been to the type of teams that Nebraska has traditionally beaten.

If we flip some of those losses to wins next season, but still struggle against the top teams (think Pelini-like results) is that being competitive?

Or do we have to beat all of the lesser teams, and knock off some of the top teams as well for you to feel Nebraska is competitive?

Or something else? What does being competitive mean to you?
To me it is looking like you belong on the field with the good teams. Against osu and minny (gag)...nu didn'tlook like they were in the same league. Sometime you "belong" but get your arse kicked anyway...an example would be Colorado 2001. NU got drilled but at least the offense was battling all day and if the defense had helped just a little who knows?

I don't consider losing close to dreadful teams like Purdue to be "competitive"...that just means you really suck.

think people who say they just want to be competitive would be happy with that only as long as it took for it to become the new normal. Then they would say "Sure we're close. But why can't our coach get us over the hump? Why can't he win the big one? Why aren't we more consistent?"

Oh what a good problem that would be to be having that debate given where the team is currently.

I'd like us to be competitive with Ohio St for a full half at home.

I wonder if we'll be competitive in our last two games at home.

I wonder if we'll be competitive in our last two games at home.
We have to tackle Jonathan Taylor well to have a chance next weekend. He runs hard and makes people pay for sloppy tackling.

I think people who say they just want to be competitive would be happy with that only as long as it took for it to become the new normal. Then they would say "Sure we're close. But why can't our coach get us over the hump? Why can't he win the big one? Why aren't we more consistent?"

Really, like all of us, they want to win all the games, and generally in dominating fashion. There's nothing wrong with that. That's the goal, after all. I just think asking to at least be competitive is what some people ask for when it seems unrealistic to ask for a national championship yet. So I don't give it much credence.
Went to the NU Iowa game a few years back with a Hawkeye fan in Iowa City. Before the game, he was convinced NU was going to rout the Hawkeyes. Said before the game “if we can keep it close, I’ll be happy” . Huskers won a close game, and he was pissed. I reminded him of his pregame statement. He wasn’t having any of it

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back