• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Being "Competitive"

To me it is looking like you belong on the field with the good teams. Against osu and minny (gag)...nu didn'tlook like they were in the same league. Sometime you "belong" but get your arse kicked anyway...an example would be Colorado 2001. NU got drilled but at least the offense was battling all day and if the defense had helped just a little who knows?

I don't consider losing close to dreadful teams like Purdue to be "competitive"...that just means you really suck.
Hey Purdue just beat a good Northwesterrrrrrr...ah never mind

I think this thread should have many answers bunched together to answer the OP. Half of these are really good, me..just play some smart football with passion.

wanting to be competitive sums up the feeling that said team clearly isn't performing as well as desired.

Nebraska Football is about competing for championships... DONU hasn't been there for quite awhile, FAR too long... 3 of the last 5 HC's (since TO retired) have competed for championships, the last two have not. That needs to change - & no one needs to be continually reminded of that fact (the apathy is especially thick & patience grows thin on this site of late)

This season has been extremely frustrating & likely won't finish the way we all might like, but we have to actively avoid piling on the negativity & becoming Apathymax &/or Defeatistpedia.

Let's not panic prematurely & Perlman this thing before we ever get a real chance to see this current regime get at least a full cycle to turn this program around.

:Sign2cents:

Three teams have not lost a game by more than 14 points in the last 3(?) years.

OU, Washington, and Iowa State

I heard that during the ISU-OU broadcast and pretty sure I caught it right. Anyone else?

In this era, the expectation of low scores given up or “losing pretty” vs never getting blown out, might need to be factored out of “competitive”, or at least mitigated significantly.

Even the current ‘great’ teams get “blown out” aka > 14.

Just something to ponder durng insomnia...

Three teams have not lost a game by more than 14 points in the last 3(?) years.

OU, Washington, and Iowa State

I heard that during the ISU-OU broadcast and pretty sure I caught it right. Anyone else?

In this era, the expectation of low scores given up or “losing pretty” vs never getting blown out, might need to be factored out of “competitive”, or at least mitigated significantly.

Even the current ‘great’ teams get “blown out” aka > 14.

Just something to ponder durng insomnia...

Agreed. I used to think never getting blown out was a piece of being “competitive.” When Ohio State can get thumped by Purdue, it becomes clear nobody is immune to a bad day at the office.

Competitive to me now is finishing in the Top 25, regardless of how we get there.

wanting to be competitive sums up the feeling that said team clearly isn't performing as well as desired.

Nebraska Football is about competing for championships... DONU hasn't been there for quite awhile, FAR too long... 3 of the last 5 HC's (since TO retired) have competed for championships, the last two have not. That needs to change - & no one needs to be continually reminded of that fact (the apathy is especially thick & patience grows thin on this site of late)

This season has been extremely frustrating & likely won't finish the way we all might like, but we have to actively avoid piling on the negativity & becoming Apathymax &/or Defeatistpedia.

Let's not panic prematurely & Perlman this thing before we ever get a real chance to see this current regime get at least a full cycle to turn this program around.

:Sign2cents:
Well said

Agreed. I used to think never getting blown out was a piece of being “competitive.” When Ohio State can get thumped by Purdue, it becomes clear nobody is immune to a bad day at the office.

Competitive to me now is finishing in the Top 25, regardless of how we get there.
I think I can agree with this.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back