• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Being "Competitive"

huskrthill

Leading horses to water since 2009
10 Year Member
I hear and see fans wanting the Huskers to be "competitive," but I'm assuming that means different things to different people.

We've lost 13 games in 2018 and 2019 (so far). If you go by final scores, you could argue that we've been competitive in all but 4 games. 9 of the 13 losses have been by one or two possessions.

On the other hand, a good chunk of those "competitive" losses have been to the type of teams that Nebraska has traditionally beaten.

If we flip some of those losses to wins next season, but still struggle against the top teams (think Pelini-like results) is that being competitive?

Or do we have to beat all of the lesser teams, and knock off some of the top teams as well for you to feel Nebraska is competitive?

Or something else? What does being competitive mean to you?

I hear and see fans wanting the Huskers to be "competitive," but I'm assuming that means different things to different people.

We've lost 13 games in 2018 and 2019 (so far). If you go by final scores, you could argue that we've been competitive in all but 4 games. 9 of the 13 losses have been by one or two possessions.

On the other hand, a good chunk of those "competitive" losses have been to the type of teams that Nebraska has traditionally beaten.

If we flip some of those losses to wins next season, but still struggle against the top teams (think Pelini-like results) is that being competitive?

Or do we have to beat all of the lesser teams, and knock off some of the top teams as well for you to feel Nebraska is competitive?

For me it's a chance to win every game. People might say 'On any given Saturday' but we all know that's BS. Right now we're not close as it relates to Ohio State. Didn't look close against Minnesota either. We've got two more games I don't feel we'll be 'competitive' in with Wisconsin and Iowa, so we're not there yet.

Have a legitimate chance to win those games....be in those games at the end and I'll reconsider.

The thing is, if you are "competitive" in games against OSU, etc, you are probably blowing out the Maryland, Illinois, etc. So basically to be "competitive" for most NU fans i am guessing would be about 11-2 or 10-3 every year. That means maybe a couple close losses to elite teams and winning over the "average" teams. Lose to the lower teams and it doesn't matter how close the games were against OSU, etc.

My definition of “competitive” is winning at least as many as you lose. Competitive is a very low bar at a school like NU, but quite a high bar at KU or New Mexico.

But that bar is starting to seem quite high these days in Lincoln!

My definition of “competitive” is winning at least as many as you lose. Competitive is a very low bar at a school like NU, but quite a high bar at KU or New Mexico.

If we are aspiring to be competitive by this definition then gravity has done its job and mediocrity is our place in college football.

Funny, I just remarked to my wife that we are on par with New Mexico, now.

Funny, I just remarked to my wife that we are on par with New Mexico, now.

That’s probably about right honestly. We’ve still got all of the window dressing of an elite program - the merchandise, the crowds, the facilities. But that’s about all for now.

I look at the program as a once-elegant mansion, but now the grass is unkept, paint is flaking off, and everything is in disrepair. The Money Pit, where seemingly every decision turns out to be the wrong one, and disaster begets further, worse disasters.

The house will eventually get renovated, but it’s in a new neighborhood now with unfamiliar folks. It sticks out on the block like a sore thumb because it’s so out of sorts. Heck, the new neighbors are even a little embarrassed and talking. And many of those neighbors have well-kept mansions.

This is a program living on its past like a meth addict, hoping there’s enough fix left to tide us over until we are something again. Time is fleeting.

Last edited:

Playing a competitive game with guys all in throughout, I can deal with the final if they're fighting all the way. I just want to be competitive and clawing their way to victory.... even in defeat. Show some moxy.
Yes...yes.....yes...

For me, being competitive is not playing so dagnabit stupid all the time, and with passion. I want us to look like the team that wants to win more, not like the team that hardly gives a crap. I want our kids to look as competent as the other side kids look. Maybe not as talented, but knowing their job and not seeing busts all the time.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back