• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Winter conditioning seems safe this year

lol well played...

I’m just so floored with the marketing job Duval and Frost have done. If I paid 50 dollars to a local trainer and he sent my kid to the hospital then came with “your son was out of shape, I even scaled my workout back”, I’d probably break his jaw. We pay our guy 400k and they have somehow convinced our entire fan base that the kids were just not conditioned at all which is why they went to the hospital, as well as avoided suspension. It’s truly magical.
PS..I’ve never said anything this vile. (Moos excluded)

Last edited:

What are the benefits of Isaiah Stalbird, who plays safety , maxing out at 700 lbs on the squat? It seems like overkill and very odd for somebody who plays a skill position. I'm incredibly impressed that a 190 pound guy can do that, but as *** has alluded to, are we increasing the odds of injury by doing this? Then again, I guess it's good marketing material. Meh

Last edited:

What are the benefits of Isaiah Stalbird, who plays safety , maxing out at 700 lbs on the squat?

Roughly the same as the benefits of a person successfully climbing Mount Everest.

There is no tangible physical benefit (indeed, there is potential for harm).

But only a handful of special people in the world have climbed Everest...and only a handful of special people in the world are capable of lifting that kind of weight, however briefly. This a big reveal at the end of a tough winter conditioning session - the culmination of a lot of hard work that results in a permanent record of it. It's the type of culture Scott is building - "you guys have no idea how much you are capable of, but you will begin to see it as you work..."

Just my :Sign2cents:

Roughly the same as the benefits of a person successfully climbing Mount Everest.

There is no tangible physical benefit (indeed, there is potential for harm).

But only a handful of special people in the world have climbed Everest...and only a handful of special people in the world are capable of lifting that kind of weight, however briefly. This a big reveal at the end of a tough winter conditioning session - the culmination of a lot of hard work that results in a permanent record of it. It's the type of culture Scott is building - "you guys have no idea how much you are capable of, but you will begin to see it as you work..."

Just my :Sign2cents:
Agree with most of what you said. I just question the rationale of doing this with your 190lb safety. If there are no tangible benefits, then why increase the risk of injury today or down the road? Maybe I'm thinking too much into it. Just seems irresponsible imo

Last edited:
What are the benefits of Isaiah Stalbird, who plays safety , maxing out at 700 lbs on the squat? It seems like overkill and very odd for somebody who plays a skill position. I'm incredibly impressed that a 190 pound guy can do that, but as *** has alluded to, are we increasing the odds of injury by doing this? Then again, I guess it's good marketing material. Meh

I don't have a problem with maxing out. I never maxed out in college, because the 'Husker Power Chart' (for lack of a better name) gave me a good enough indication of where I was for my max. It also took a week away from training for me, and honestly I didn't care what my max was. My issue is from 9th grade on in most schools, the whole narrative was "don't do too much weight, you could get hurt, let's make sure you have great form". Now we are piling it on and sacrificing form, that's a rough combination for me to get on board with. IN MY OPINION, there are going to be issues just like what we had in 2018. The video you posted, do we really need to put whatever weight is on that bar after watching the video of how it was squatted?

It all stems back to what i've harped on a ton, i'm more of a Shannon Turley at Stanford guy, where we prevent injuries by lifting correctly. Duval is more of a create as much muscle as possible S&C coach. There's places for both in football. Just because I think it can be done better doesn't mean it won't work.

Like i've said before, happy to have them go completely injury free in 2019 like they theoretically did at UCF in 2017 and prove me massively wrong.

Last edited:

I don't have a problem with maxing out. I never maxed out in college, because the 'Husker Power Chart' (for lack of a better name) gave me a good enough indication of where I was for my max. It also took a week away from training for me, and honestly I didn't care what my max was. My issue is from 9th grade on in most schools, the whole narrative was "don't do too much weight, you could get hurt, let's make sure you have great form". Now we are piling it on and sacrificing form, that's a rough combination for me to get on board with. IN MY OPINION, there are going to be issues just like what we had in 2018. The video you posted, do we really need to put whatever weight is on that bar after watching the video of how it was squatted?

It all stems back to what i've harped on a ton, i'm more of a Shannon Turley at Stanford guy, where we prevent injuries by lifting correctly. Duval is more of a create as much muscle as possible S&C coach. There's places for both in football. Just because I think it can be done better doesn't mean it won't work.

Like i've said before, happy to have them go completely injury free in 2019 like they theoretically did at UCF in 2017 and prove me massively wrong.
Well..I hope you are wrong for the team's sake. But I have my concerns.

Well..I hope you are wrong for the team's sake. But I have my concerns.
I think us getting our roster to 150 will help. Where we may get a few more hurdles than I would like thrown in front of us, we will have enough guys being held accountable and working hard in the weight room if we lose a few guys for an extended period of time they'll be able to step up.

Last edited:

I assume someone’s taking a shot at me. Which is fine. I chalk what I say about Duval possibly having some issues up to how I didn’t like how Diaco made our OLBs play, how Pelini made our safeties set the edge from 12 yards deep, etc. That doesn’t mean Pelini, Duval, or Diaco are bad coaches. Just means there’s some things I would definitely change. I’m hoping what I see with Duval is me being wrong, rather than like with Pelini it getting exposed against Wisconsin’s jet sweep, or with Diaco it getting exposed every offensive play.

My other issue is when Nebraska S&C was well respected, there was validity to what was coming out. We apparently have 3 RBs that squat as much as Saquan Barkley (who was looked at as a freak before the draft) on our roster right now, so that has made more than one other D1 coach give the eye roll to me just last night. As you stated @CrabHusker I’ll take a 450 pound perfect squat with good ROM over being able to tell someone I squatted 650 any day of the week.

All I read here is that you want Diaco back.

Frost spoke at the Lincoln Chamber Luncheon today held at PBA. Here are what Brian Christopherson tweeted about Frost's comments on S&C...

Frost said Zach Duval told him Nebraska players have, on average, have had a 100-pound gain on squat since he arrived, more than a 50-pound gain on bench, and added 13 pounds of lean muscle per player. Said Duval just texted him, "Old Nebraska is just about back."
Frost recalled that Nebraska used to run S & C testing results in the media when he was a player. Said he didn't want to do that when he arrived because it would have embarrassed some guys at the time.
Frost said he can't wait to see what Nebraska can do combining top 25 recruiting classes and the current S & C program. Said it killed him seeing Big Ten teams that were bigger and stronger than his team.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back