• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Frost & Moos want to play Big 8 schools again

I agree with all three and would be fine adding a Kansas, K State, etc. to the non con, but the three things you listed are more than likely the only real benefits. I'm thinking big picture, long term, what gets Nebraska closer to competing for conference and national championship? Beating a ranked Texas or Texas A&M would help as would the exposure and potential recruiting upside you'd get playing in or against Texas teams every few years.
Agree with your thinking too

Id love to add ISU, close to me and ISU fans are much nicer than others...including Iowa for sure. Isu fans always bring up to me about playing again and mention how they miss the old Big 8 and the northern division of the BigXII

I certainly do not agree, Boji. Iowa State fans have been the absolute worst fans I've ever been around, and I've been to 61 away games.

The best fans, other than Husker fans, of course, have been the folks down at TAMU. That would be my favorite place to go to another away game.

As far as trading a midmajor team like NIU or South Alabama for a Big 8 team, the only one that feels like a solid win would be Kansas.

ISU has been upsetting a lot of people, plus KSU has been a tough game in recent decades. Mizzou, OU and Colorado are far from gimmes and Okie State is decent.

So basically, Kansas.

I certainly do not agree, Boji. Iowa State fans have been the absolute worst fans I've ever been around, and I've been to 61 away games.

The best fans, other than Husker fans, of course, have been the folks down at TAMU. That would be my favorite place to go to another away game.
Guess Ive been lucky then. Been to quite a few games, but by far the worst was Iowa three years ago. They were terrible, and that was where I went to under grad and coached at. Wearing Red drove them crazy

It would be great to replace the Northern Illinois and Arkansas States with some old Big 8 rivals.

I just don't get the hype ya'll?? I don't get excited about playing S. Alabama, Northern Illinois, etc., but playing Kansas, k-state, Iowa State, etc would be absolutely Awful. Especially if ANY of those games are Nebraska's "marquee" NC game. So gang, why do ya'll love the thought of playing Kansas or Iowa State or Mizzou? Is it simply because it is "drive-able"?? College Park MD is drive-able. So is State College. Could you imagine a NC schedule of South Dakota State, UAB, and at "always dangerous in Ames" Iowa State?? That would be truly awful. A NC schedule of home vs North Dakota State, @ Air Force, home vs LSU...that would be Fun!!

ScuM fans if you can call them that (?) are, imo the most disgusting.

I wouldn't want the one "good" NC game to be against the old Big8 teams unless it is one the really good teams, like Okie. Otherwise, the Kansas, KSU, IaSt teams don't do it for me. Heck ,they didn't do it for me when the Huskers were in the Big 8 with them to be honest.

I just don't get the hype ya'll?? I don't get excited about playing S. Alabama, Northern Illinois, etc., but playing Kansas, k-state, Iowa State, etc would be absolutely Awful. Especially if ANY of those games are Nebraska's "marquee" NC game. So gang, why do ya'll love the thought of playing Kansas or Iowa State or Mizzou? Is it simply because it is "drive-able"?? College Park MD is drive-able. So is State College. Could you imagine a NC schedule of South Dakota State, UAB, and at "always dangerous in Ames" Iowa State?? That would be truly awful. A NC schedule of home vs North Dakota State, @ Air Force, home vs LSU...that would be Fun!!
S. Alabama and NIU will play in Lincoln without a requisite return game. Kansas, KSU & ISU will almost demand a home-and-away. Might be ale to talk one of them into a 2 for 1 ... even then that's not good enough to substitute for an NIU home game.

Why would we ever want to go to an away game at Air Force? That really does nothing.

S. Alabama and NIU will play in Lincoln without a requisite return game. Kansas, KSU & ISU will almost demand a home-and-away. Might be ale to talk one of them into a 2 for 1 ... even then that's not good enough to substitute for an NIU home game.

Why would we ever want to go to an away game at Air Force? That really does nothing.

We went to away games at Fresno and Wyoming pretty recently. I don't see how Air Force is any worse.

Nostalgia. Did you know until NU went to the B1G, the Nebraska Kansas game was the longest running rivalry of 105 straight seasons?

Last edited:
We went to away games at Fresno and Wyoming pretty recently. I don't see how Air Force is any worse.
Non-Conference Away Games:
2017 - Oregon
2015 - Miami FL
2014 - Fresno State
2012 - UCLA
2011 - Wyoming
2010 - Washington
2009 - V-Tech
2007 - Wake Forest
2006 - USC
2004 - Pitt
2003 - So Miss
2002 - Penn State
2000 - Notre Dame

In the course of 19 years ... there have been 13 non-conference away games. 2016 was the 1st year with 3 non-conference games ... years prior were 4 non-conference games. That is 13 games away over 73 non-conference games (18%) during that time period.

It should be noted Wyoming and Fresno were during the 4 non-conference game era. Wyoming was a 2-for-1 deal ... as was Southern Miss (2003).

I'm not sure what Air Force or Wyoming for that matter get you. Long way to drive, no recruiting footprint, doesn't move the TV interest meter at all.

At least Kansas, K-State and I-State are reasonable driving distances. All are from P5 conferences as well. I would try for a home-and-away with Kansas ... but the away game - play at Arrowhead stadium

I'm not sure what Air Force or Wyoming for that matter get you. Long way to drive, no recruiting footprint, doesn't move the TV interest meter at all.

At least Kansas, K-State and I-State are reasonable driving distances. All are from P5 conferences as well. I would try for a home-and-away with Kansas ... but the away game - play at Arrowhead stadium

I don't disagree. Playing in Laramie doesn't provide a bunch of recruiting or TV value to Nebraska.

My point was that we've already recently played away game at these less-than desirable locations, so it's not like we're breaking some precedent to accommodate an away game at Air Force, etc.

I wouldn't really want to play an away game against a team like Buffalo or Coastal Carolina, but at least states like Wyoming, Colorado, etc., are neighboring states to NE.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back