• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Frost & Moos want to play Big 8 schools again

I wouldn't want the one "good" NC game to be against the old Big8 teams unless it is one the really good teams, like Okie.

I totally agree with this. Sure, the CU series brings back some of the emotions from the past, but they aren't a marquee matchup. If we're using this as our meaningful out of conference game, it should be limited to OU, Texas :Puke:, A&M and maybe Okie State. Colorado would be OK on occasion to give the fans in western Nebraska a game in easy driving distance. The rest aren't very appealing as the marquee non- con game and, except KU, they're not weak enough to be the cupcakes.

Last edited:

Boji, I believe we all have different experiences which shape our feelings of a fan base, and most will differ from others. I've been to Husker away games at ISU three times and to UI three times and every time was treated badly in Ames and well at Iowa City. However, to be honest the trips were a long time ago, the most recent being in 2004. Back when I went to ISU, we were in the same conference and they were sick of us beating them. And I've never been to Iowa City while we were in the Big Ten. Things may have changed regarding the receptions to Husker fans.

I'll be at the Colorado and Maryland away games this year, btw.

Iowa State fans have been the absolute worst fans I've ever been around, and I've been to 61 away games. .

Worse than KSU or CU fans? Interesting... I would have not have guessed this, but I have not been to Ames.

Last edited:
I totally agree with this. Sure, the CU series brings back some of the emotions from the past, but they aren't a marquee matchup. If we're using this as our meaningful out of conference game, it should be limited to OU, Texas :Puke:, A&M and maybe Okie State. Colorado would be OK on occasion to give the fans in western Nebraska a game in easy driving distance. The rest aren't very appealing as the marquee non- con game and, except KU, they're not weak enough to be the cupcakes.

Currently NU is playing 3 non-conference games ... average of 2.5 home games per year ... 2 cupcake home games and 1 marque home-away game (Oregon, OU, CU ...)

Now imagine if NU could replace its marquee home-and-away matchup with a 2-for-1 KU-KSU-ISU game ... but also replace one of the cupcakes with a KU-KSU-ISU 2-for-1 series. Now you average 2.3 home games per year (instead of 2.5). You're playing two P5 schools albeit not a marquee matchup. But how do you think Wisconsin has garnered its record over the last 10 years?

Currently NU is playing 3 non-conference games ... average of 2.5 home games per year ... 2 cupcake home games and 1 marque home-away game (Oregon, OU, CU ...)

Now imagine if NU could replace its marquee home-and-away matchup with a 2-for-1 KU-KSU-ISU game ... but also replace one of the cupcakes with a KU-KSU-ISU 2-for-1 series. Now you average 2.3 home games per year (instead of 2.5). You're playing two P5 schools albeit not a marquee matchup. But how do you think Wisconsin has garnered its record over the last 10 years?

It'll be interesting to see how this plays out. There's not a lot of room for this kind of arrangement before the 2030's, aside from the games with OU and CU, unless we back out of a contract or two. The other part of scheduling is trying to play where you recruit. The old Big 8 rivals keep us present in the 500 mile radius. I'd rather stick to the model of two cupcakes and one marquee. Playing both KSU and ISU in the same year in non-con seems like high risk, low reward to me.

I read the article as saying we would consider KSU, ISU, etc as the marquee opponent in the scheduling strategy we currently employ. I don't personally find that as desirable as games with Tennessee, Arizona, etc but I get the appeal.

The nostalgia does nothing for me but I can see the appeal for some - especially many posters here - the avg demographic likely well over 50.

Maybe in next conf realignment we reform the Big 8.

70419126.jpg

I love it...bring it on. Home and homes with a driveable “takeover” away game once a year or so would be sweet....e.g. Ames, Lawrence, Manhattan, Columbia

I certainly do not agree, Boji. Iowa State fans have been the absolute worst fans I've ever been around, and I've been to 61 away games.

The best fans, other than Husker fans, of course, have been the folks down at TAMU. That would be my favorite place to go to another away game.
I've been to a game in Ames while wearing Husker garb and sitting in Iowa State seats, and they were very courteous to us. I'm also curious how you rate OU fans? I haven't been to a game there, but the OU fans that I know have generally been much less likely to be petty, spiteful sorts of people.
I just don't get the hype ya'll?? I don't get excited about playing S. Alabama, Northern Illinois, etc., but playing Kansas, k-state, Iowa State, etc would be absolutely Awful. Especially if ANY of those games are Nebraska's "marquee" NC game. So gang, why do ya'll love the thought of playing Kansas or Iowa State or Mizzou? Is it simply because it is "drive-able"?? College Park MD is drive-able. So is State College. Could you imagine a NC schedule of South Dakota State, UAB, and at "always dangerous in Ames" Iowa State?? That would be truly awful. A NC schedule of home vs North Dakota State, @ Air Force, home vs LSU...that would be Fun!!
If we're confined to only having 3 non-conference games, I assume that we want the first game of the season to be a cupcake, another NC game to be a Power-5 who is unlikely to beat us, and a marquee match-up against whoever we can line up. Ideally, the cupcake is ONLY played at Nebraska, and the wimpy P5 team should be a 2 & 1 contract. The marquee is either home-and-home or else on a neutral site.

With all of the above in consideration, how would you feel about a schedule that included USD (I'm a USD alum, so SDSU can go to Hell ... or SDSU since it's the same thing), Kansas, and Oklahoma? Since the 9 conference games have to include rotating home and away, we'd want the 2-and-1 team to line up so that we always have 7 home games.

If you want to be more mindful of recruiting, how about Rice, Missouri, and Texas or TA&M?

Last edited:

With all of the above in consideration, how would you feel about a schedule that included USD (I'm a USD alum, so SDSU can go to Hell ... or SDSU since it's the same thing)

Hate to disappoint but your Coyotes might be running scared ;) as I looked forward on NU’s football schedules:

SDSU: 2020, 2024, 2028
North Dakota: 2022 & 2026

Edit: :Stirthepot:

Last edited:
Colorado, Oklahoma, Kansas, Iowa State....the rest I don't really care about
I'd like to see the Huskers play a road game every 4 years in Florida and/or California for exposure to potential recruits

Hate to disappoint but your Coyotes might be running scared ;) as I looked forward on NU’s football schedules:

SDSU: 2020, 2024, 2028
North Dakota: 2022 & 2026

Edit: :Stirthepot:
I was tempted to make a joke about Nebraska preferring to play UND and SDSU versus USD and NDSU, but even I can't say that with a straight face, though I do question the sanity of anyone who schedules NDSU and pays them a bunch of money to come and beat them. I don't know why Nebraska hasn't scheduled USD more. I wouldn't like it because it would be like watching my wife beat up my mother.

I am somewhat curious about naming any game a "cupcake" game. A lot of those teams have beaten Nebraska in the last 10-15 years. Maybe we should prove we can beat some of the nationally ranked teams on a regular basis before we start labeling any future opponent as a "cupcake". Personally, I hope that time is very soon.

I am somewhat curious about naming any game a "cupcake" game. A lot of those teams have beaten Nebraska in the last 10-15 years. Maybe we should prove we can beat some of the nationally ranked teams on a regular basis before we start labeling any future opponent as a "cupcake". Personally, I hope that time is very soon.

So true, and I hate you for pointing it out.

I was tempted to make a joke about Nebraska preferring to play UND and SDSU versus USD and NDSU, but even I can't say that with a straight face, though I do question the sanity of anyone who schedules NDSU and pays them a bunch of money to come and beat them. I don't know why Nebraska hasn't scheduled USD more. I wouldn't like it because it would be like watching my wife beat up my mother.
Your wife vs. your mother would make for better tv

If we can lose to Balls Tate there are no cupcakes.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back