• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Frost & Moos want to play Big 8 schools again

I've been saying this for years. Osborne (as AD) and then Eichorst did some things to get Colorado and Oklahoma into rotation, but it would be cool to pick up Mizzou, Kansas and KState again.

https://www.denverpost.com/2019/02/...l-colorado-buffaloes-bill-moos-schedule-ncaa/

And while my preference would be for Big 8 teams, I would not mind settling the score with the Orange Cows. A&M was always a fun game, too.

Here's my order of preference (including the Terrible Texans)
1. Oklahoma (is there any question here?)
2. Colorado
3. Mizzou
t-4. Kansas / KSU
t-6. Texas / A&M
t-8. OkST, ISU, Texas Tech, Baylor
1. Oklahoma
2. Iowa State
3. K-State
4. Kansas
5. Colorado
6. Missouri
7. Ok-State
8. aTm
9. Texas
10. TTU
11. Baylor

That's my thought. Why schedule Kansas when Texas is a much more fertile recruiting ground? It could be any of the Texas schools, not just the Shortwhorns.
1. Because you might be able to get a 2 for 1 with Kansas.
2. Road trip to Lawrence is much easier/nicer/preferable than Austin
3. A much more likely "W"

1. Because you might be able to get a 2 for 1 with Kansas.
2. Road trip to Lawrence is much easier/nicer/preferable than Austin
3. A much more likely "W"

I agree with all three and would be fine adding a Kansas, K State, etc. to the non con, but the three things you listed are more than likely the only real benefits. I'm thinking big picture, long term, what gets Nebraska closer to competing for conference and national championship? Beating a ranked Texas or Texas A&M would help as would the exposure and potential recruiting upside you'd get playing in or against Texas teams every few years.

I agree with all three and would be fine adding a Kansas, K State, etc. to the non con, but the three things you listed are more than likely the only real benefits. I'm thinking big picture, long term, what gets Nebraska closer to competing for conference and national championship? Beating a ranked Texas or Texas A&M would help as would the exposure and potential recruiting upside you'd get playing in or against Texas teams every few years.

Better yet, beating a Ranked $EC team like Missouri or A&M!

While I prefer the Big 8 teams and don't really care about the other Big XII teams, I do see the recruiting benefits of playing in Texas on a semi regular basis. As long as we aren't on the Longhorn Network. I'm not certain how much tomato juice or how long it would take to wash that off.

I think the consensus here is:
  • Texas Longhorns = Bad
  • State of Texas Recruiting = Good
If that's the case, I'm happy to line up games with TCU (even though we were never conference-mates), Texas A&M and Texas Tech. Baylor doesn't really provide access to much geography that TCU/A&M don't already cover, plus TTU gets you the northern/western side out in Lubbock.

Would be kind of funny to keep snatching recruits away from Bevo while dancing all around them and never scheduling a game.

Last edited:

• Texas Longhorns = Bad
If that's the case, I'm happy to line up games with TCU (even though we were never conference-mates), Texas A&M and Texas Tech. Baylor doesn't really provide access to much geography that TCU/A&M don't already cover, plus TTU gets you the northern/western side out in Lubbock.

Would be kind of funny to keep snatching recruits away from Bevo while dancing all around them and never scheduling a game.

Not Power 5 (yet), but I would consider Houston ... lots of talent in that metro area.

• Texas Longhorns = Bad

As a side note, in my early days of being a Husker fan, (mid to late 1960s) we were playing TCU every year. At that time, I thought they were part of the Big 8.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back