• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Nebraska vs Penn State (11/18/17)

Coaching is the remedy to most of what you have written. Players won't play harder if they're not forced to - pull up a picture of Nick Saban and compare it to Mike Riley and you'll get an idea of what I mean. Players will play like they practice. They will practice according to how they are coached.
I agree! However, the blame does not rest entirely on the coaches. If I were playing in the OT position and a defensive lineman got by me to sack the QB, I would be totally pissed on the next snap and make it my mission to set him on his rear. It is not all that complicated.

Last edited:

I agree! However, the blame does not rest entirely on the coaches. If I were playing in the OT position and a defensive line got by me to sack the QB, I would be totally pissed on the next snap and make it my mission to set him on his rear. It is not all that complicated.
I hear what your saying, but yes it's coaching if an OT is getting his butt kicked and doesn't get pissed off. He either needs to be benched by the coach or there are issues with player development. It all circles back to coaching. Coaching is getting the most out of your players. These kids came in as top HS athletes - everything else since then is coaching. I'm afraid to say it but I'm willing to bet a lot of these kids had better coaches in high school than what they have now which is why some of them might have quit on this staff. I think part of what your talking about is a lack of competition, competitiveness, pride, which again that comes with coaching during the week and throughout the year. The HC has to demand improvement from the AC's and coordinators and throughout the entire program in every aspect. Look, you can't be a "nice guy" and get this done IMO. A lot of people think TO is a nice guy, and he is, but as a head football coach he was absolutely demanding of everyone and ruthless on game day. Mike Riley is Mr. Rogers and the team plays like it!

Black shirts are the backbone of the midwest? Is that what I just heard, in some ad on the audio? Someone listening to the post show, still? I just got back from downstairs, and didn't quite get it all.

MR just finished up on audio.

MR is a glass full, no matter how bad the day turns out. Yeah, but not for good reasoning, if you ask me! He just tries to avoid what is really in the glass...................not much!

I hear what your saying, but yes it's coaching if an OT is getting his butt kicked and doesn't get pissed off. He either needs to be benched by the coach or there are issues with player development. It all circles back to coaching. Coaching is getting the most out of your players. These kids came in as top HS athletes - everything else since then is coaching. I'm afraid to say it but I'm willing to bet a lot of these kids had better coaches in high school than what they have now which is why some of them might have quit on this staff. I think part of what your talking about is a lack of competition, competitiveness, pride, which again that comes with coaching during the week and throughout the year. The HC has to demand improvement from the AC's and coordinators and throughout the entire program in every aspect. Look, you can't be a "nice guy" and get this done IMO. A lot of people think TO is a nice guy, and he is, but as a head football coach he was absolutely demanding of everyone and ruthless on game day. Mike Riley is Mr. Rogers and the team plays like it!

Having been in the coaching profession for many years, I can't disagree with much of what you say. However, we don't seem to have the depth in talent at most positions to make competition during practices important. This plays into the "demanding" aspect during the practices.

I see very little leadership from player to player. Our bench decorum during the games is sucky, to say the least. No one player is encouraging another or getting into a team mates face to get them fired up. It is a zombie sideline.

Another thing, I think our coaching staff has put their recruiting eggs into one basket, "flash and dash" skill players. You don't win games if you cannot block and tackle. Every really good team is built from the inside out. Ohio State, Penn State, Michigan, Wisconsin, Alabama, Clemson, etc. Line play wins games.

Last edited:
Having been in the coaching profession for many years, I can't disagree with much of what you say. However, we don't seem to have the depth in talent at most positions to make competition during practices important. This plays into the "demanding" aspect during the practices.

I see very little leadership from player to player. Our bench decorum during the games is sucky, to say the least. No one player is encouraging another or getting into a team mates face to get them fired up. It is a zombie sideline.

Another thing, I think our coaching staff has put their recruiting eggs into one basket, "flash and dash" skill players. You don't win games if you cannot block and tackle. Every really good team is built from the inside out. Line play wins games.

It seems that way, but we do have plenty of decent recruits on the line that haven't become what was expected. It's easy to see why.

It seems that way, but we do have plenty of decent recruits on the line that haven't become what was expected. It's easy to see why.
I am very skeptical about the talent and the line coaching. It is as poor as I have seen from a D-1 college football program.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back