• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Johnson explains why he pulled son from Nebraska

Did I miss something? I thought senior and MR made this call. A relationship that goes back decades and we're turning him into a helicopter parent? It's not like MR met this guy when his kid was a sophomore. I think KJ believes he is showing respect to his former coach and showing his kid what happens when he doesn't do the same.

They did it was a mutual decision.

Some are turning him into a helicopter parent.

Dad did the right thing. I have no doubt my pop would have done the same.

Did I miss something? I thought senior and MR made this call. A relationship that goes back decades and we're turning him into a helicopter parent? It's not like MR met this guy when his kid was a sophomore. I think KJ believes he is showing respect to his former coach and showing his kid what happens when he doesn't do the same.

I think u make a lot of good points. Could you imagine if every parent were to remove their son from the football team if they broke the law? NU history would be much different.

I think the weed wasn't close to be the final reason. Riley commented he hope KJJ would be back when he was physically and mentally ready. That tells me there was far more then weed as the reason Sr said it was time to go home and straighten things out.

I think the weed wasn't close to be the final reason. Riley commented he hope KJJ would be back when he was physically and mentally ready. That tells me there was far more then weed as the reason Sr said it was time to go home and straighten things out.
Wasn't close to the final reason? Ok, whatever.

His dad commented as such.

His dad commented as such.

For the sake of accuracy....

Keyshawn Sr: Everybody said, ‘Oh weed’s not that big of a deal. It’s just like wine and beer and cigarettes and cigars,’ ” said the elder Johnson, who spent 11 seasons in the NFL and made three Pro Bowls. “Yes that’s true. But the problem is they say don’t do it. Don’t do it. We don’t want you doing it in the NFL. We don’t want you doing it in college sports. Don’t do it.”

For the sake of accuracy....

Keyshawn Sr: Everybody said, ‘Oh weed’s not that big of a deal. It’s just like wine and beer and cigarettes and cigars,’ ” said the elder Johnson, who spent 11 seasons in the NFL and made three Pro Bowls. “Yes that’s true. But the problem is they say don’t do it. Don’t do it. We don’t want you doing it in the NFL. We don’t want you doing it in college sports. Don’t do it.”

I read and listened to the many things that Keyshawn said so I stand behind what I wrote as accurate.

Cheers

Wasn't close to the final reason? Ok, whatever.

No. I'd say it was just part of the deal. It may have been the final straw in a very big hay stack, but when they are talking mental and physical, clearly the weed itself was not the sole reason.

But then I understand how with your agenda on everything about NU, I can see how you want it to be. It is a shame how some people let an agenda cloud their judgement on certain things, and only allow them to see or hear what they want instead of what really happens.

Hey all! Newbie here- with an opinion of course

Jr's had a tough go in his short tenure at NU. The appedix deal, being two steps back for spring ball (the whole reason for his early enrollment), and general adjustment to college life. I imagine being a high profile recruit with a famous dad also didn't help. I started and stopped college twice before i got my sealegs, and I was just a normal student.

While I feel like Sr's preaching some good parenting rhetoric, I feel icky listening to what i think should be confidential conversations between parent and son. It seems attention grabbing to me. And what's wrong with staying in school and letting coach Riley handle the discipline? Maybe there's more to this story. We may never know, but through Jr. we found Gebbia and I think I will be very thankful for that.

Jr's had a tough go in his short tenure at NU. The appedix deal, being two steps back for spring ball (the whole reason for his early enrollment), and general adjustment to college life. I imagine being a high profile recruit with a famous dad also didn't help. I started and stopped college twice before i got my sealegs, and I was just a normal student.

While I feel like Sr's preaching some good parenting rhetoric, I feel icky listening to what i think should be confidential conversations between parent and son. It seems attention grabbing to me. And what's wrong with staying in school and letting coach Riley handle the discipline? Maybe there's more to this story. We may never know, but through Jr. we found Gebbia and I think I will be very thankful for that.
Similar to my thoughts....beware of opinions that dont jive with the leaders of the board.

I agree. I was far from an angel during my freshman year and my grades suffered because I had difficulty adjusting. But I ended up turning things around and got my degree, then a masters, and now a PhD from UNL. I can definitely appreciate the kid getting things together and trying to come back. KJjr being who he is came to college with a lot of expectations, hype, etc. that would make it very challenging.

Instead of attention grabbing I see it as KJsr saving face for his family and his beloved coach. I agree that in most situations like this you keep these things private and in the family, but because of their status and relationship with the coach, there really is a lot to eliminate the privacy piece- it has become a public discussion. The fact that this thread has gone this long is evidence of that IMO. I also agree that there's probalbly so much more to back story than we'll ever know. It isn't like KJsr is just a random dad in this situation. Good point.

No. I'd say it was just part of the deal. It may have been the final straw in a very big hay stack, but when they are talking mental and physical, clearly the weed itself was not the sole reason.

But then I understand how with your agenda on everything about NU, I can see how you want it to be. It is a shame how some people let an agenda cloud their judgement on certain things, and only allow them to see or hear what they want instead of what really happens.

So it was the final straw in a very big hay stack? Or it 'Wasn't close to the final reason'.

Confusing.

Regarding the personal attack, I'm sure the mods will clean that up.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back