• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Johnson explains why he pulled son from Nebraska

NU would not be embarrassed by KJJ. First of all, we have had troubled kids before. Every program has. Also, we lost to BYU and Purdoo. What's more embarrassing than that? :Biggrin:

Senior pointed out some things that go beyond the marijuana in that clip. To be frank, Jr wasn't very good this spring and fell into a pattern of laziness. Not being good at football and then not trying hard is two things you shouldn't combine while on full scholarship.

He has to show us he wants to play college football and do what is expected of him before we even talk about getting over the marijuana thing. We have guys on the team that smoke right now that we are managing, you just can't compound that with other things like KJJ is doing.

Last edited:
Senior pointed out some things that go beyond the marijuana in that clip. To be frank, Jr wasn't very good this spring and fell into a pattern of laziness. Not being good at football and then not trying hard is two things you shouldn't combine while on full scholarship.

He has to show us he wants to play college football and do what is expected of him before we even talk about getting over the marijuana thing. We have guys on the team that smoke right now that we are managing, you just can't compound that with other things like KJJ is doing.

I noticed that as well. Particularly when KJ Sr made a reference to how he's not living vicariously through his son and that he doesn't have to play football

I noticed that as well. Particularly when KJ Sr made a reference to how he's not living vicariously through his son and that he doesn't have to play football
Right. If he doesn't work at his craft, he would never see the field for Nebraska with the guys we have coming in. He was behind walk-ons.

Trying to get them to stop.
JMO but KJSr's action feels like a Hail Mary. If people are questioning Jrs dedication a few months into his freshman year - then it makes sense what Sr did. Correct me if I'm wrong - Jr's 5 year clock started in JAN 17 - he's effectively burned his redshirt season. Not to mention Sr knows his son isn't ultra talented. His only chance to excel is going to be thru hard work and dedication. Kudos to the youngster if it happens but no one should be surprised if he 'flames' out.

JMO but KJSr's action feels like a Hail Mary. If people are questioning Jrs dedication a few months into his freshman year - then it makes sense what Sr did. Correct me if I'm wrong - Jr's 5 year clock started in JAN 17 - he's effectively burned his redshirt season. Not to mention Sr knows his son isn't ultra talented. His only chance to excel is going to be thru hard work and dedication. Kudos to the youngster if it happens but no one should be surprised if he 'flames' out.
I would agree. Honestly, this may be the best thing right now because KJJ was redshirting for sure, and who knows what would happen when all he was doing was practicing and not getting to play. Not to mention he's high profile, and what would be said if he's not seeing the field from people who don't know the situation? He needed to get so much better than he was to sniff the field for us, and wasn't putting in the work. He basically has until January to prove he wants to play football at a big boy program.

Last edited:
I would agree. Honestly, this may be the best thing right now because KJJ was redshirting for sure, and who knows what would happen when all he was doing was practicing and not getting to play. Not to mention he's high profile, and what would be said if he's not seeing the field from people who don't know the situation? He needed to get so much better than he was to sniff the field for us, and wasn't putting in the work. He basically has until January to prove he wants to play football at a big boy program.

Did the appendectomy have something to do with that or was he always rated maybe a little better than he actually was?

There were many times during KJ Sr's career where I thought he was an idiot, but I give him props for maturing and becoming what appears to be a great parent. Hopefully Jr. has a similar growth pattern.

Did the appendectomy have something to do with that or was he always rated maybe a little better than he actually was?
I was in a text group that put the over/under for him being at Nebraska at 18 months. I always thought he was overrated but his value for other reasons superceded that. When he was committed, our staff new up front he was going to have to make drastic strides in work ethic, and I'm sure the appendectomy didn't help. But when a kid gets back from surgery and doesn't do everything he can to rehab, it's a red flag. Without going into too much detail, the kid is a WR running routes all day in equipment and still was not fit.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back