• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Three & Out w/ Martinez @ the helm - 2013 so far

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can tell you that nobody on the Husker staff is really qualified to teach kicking or punting technique... but they certainly would have talked to him in film session about both the 2nd and 3rd Qs and what happened... The funny thing is... when he did muscle up and caught a tight spiral he nailed a 55 yarder (2nd Q into the wind) but because he kept it lower to cut into the wind he out kicked the coverage and we gave up a 25+ yard return. He needed to angle punt if he was going to keep the ball lower... you simply can't kick the ball into the middle of the field on a line drive.

Sam hits a spiral that turns over of some sort on most but he did not against the wind because it was in the back of his mind that he felt that he had to muscle up and thus missed his drop and contact point (like said above, think about your golf swing, especially with the driver)

As he gets older his spiral frequency/ability will improve... It comes with drop confidence and making sure your contact point on the ball and the top of the laces remains consistent. He is going to be an all-american before he leaves Nebraska.

Makes sense. Controlling the drop and point of contact is a development challenge, especially when you're second guessing yourself on what needs to be done I guess. At least that third quarter will likely be a lesson learned for him. I agree he's mostly looked great so far. Thanks for answering.

so non-spiraling punts and bad play calling allowed UCLA to score 38 unanswered points. That is an interesting observation. So you punters do do something other than practice kicking during the season.

Yes ... when virtually half of the drives NU started from midQ2 and on were 3 and outs. Yes, the offense has a hand in defensive performance. Long sustained drives, changing momentum, changing filed position. controlling time of possession are all positive things an offense can do to help the defense.

33% 3 and out is awful. I don't know of anyone that would accept that, especially against a schedule that features teams that aren't world-beaters defensively.

I considered taking a look at Alabama so far this year, but I decided against it because that comparison wouldn't necessarily be fair. So what about LSU? Looking at their record the past three years, and looking at Husker expectations, this seems to be a fair school to look at.
2010: 11-2 and missed a conference championship game
2011: 13-1 and lost a BCS championship game
2012: 10-3, no conference championship game, lost bowl game

34-6 and one BCS game over three years is pretty reasonable, even though they failed to make a conference championship game in two of those years.

So let's look at what LSU has done on offense. Rather than just 3 and outs, I decided to include any drives that lasted 3 plays OR LESS that didn't end in a score.

Against TCU, LSU had three such drives out of 12.
Against UAB, LSU had four such drives out of 13.
Against Kent St., LSU had zero such drives out of 10.
Against Auburn, LSU had four such drives out of 15.
Against Georgia, LSU had one such drive out of 11.

In five games, LSU has gone three and out (or worse) in 12 of 61 drives, or just under 20%. In their two games against ranked opponents (TCU & Georgia), they combined to go 3 and out only 4 times in 23 drives (17%).

Guys, this is not a particularly special LSU offense. They are good, but not great. They rank 37th in total offense (Nebraska is 21st). They average 42.8 ppg (Nebraska averages 43.3). They average 281.8 ypg throwing and 192.0 ypg rushing (Nebraska is 215.5 passing and 280.8 rushing). Their quarterback is in his second year as a starter (compared to 4 years for Martinez).

They are much more efficient with their offense, much more fluid. They don't have the herky-jerky look that Nebraska has with Matinez at the helm. I'm sorry, it's just not good when you are almost as likely to go three-and-out as you are to score on any given drive.

your stats are skewed against Kent and UAB as Mettenberger was not at the helm of all of the drives...

Yes ... when virtually half of the drives NU started from midQ2 and on were 3 and outs. Yes, the offense has a hand in defensive performance. Long sustained drives, changing momentum, changing filed position. controlling time of possession are all positive things an offense can do to help the defense.

But posters have told me the last couple of days we can't do that. We are an uptempo offense. Can't slow down a polished mechanism like our uptempo offense. Runs too smooth to slow down and run ball control. Too hard to do. That's what I've been told.

I think what frustrates me most about TM is his decision-making. He made terrible decisions as a freshman. We chalked that up to freshman inexperience. It was inexperience (not having played the position for as long as nearly any other QB you could find. Tanneyhill looked better in his decision-making, and he played QB for less than one year). But he has not progressed in his decision-making, and ability to protect the ball. NU's record over the last three years, given our minus turnover margin, is remarkable. Had we been able to protect the ball, we would have had 1-2 more wins per year, and likely a Conference Championship.

We have seen hobbled TM in 2010, and the offense was horrific. We do not have that defense to lean on, this year. 2013's hopes rest on an explosive offense. We have playmakers all over the field this year, unlike 2010. So if we have a good decision-maker at QB, one who can distribute the ball, I think we will be better off. I am certainly not a TM hater. I love the kid. He was a winner in HS. You are not a CA Player of the Year at any level, and not be quite talented. But TM's poor decision-making can be the difference for this team this year. I'm willing to give the backups a look. Perhaps a healthy TM will return in November, and I can't blame the coaches for making that decision. But if our offense becomes more efficient with better decision-making from the QB, I don't think I would do that.

Offensive efficiency: How will this help the team? Mostly, to me this means winning the field position battle. If we start from our own 20, the ability to get two or three first downs, and flip the field on the other team. We have been losing the field position battle for a long time. Defense and ST's also plays into that, but I think the Qb decision-making is the easiest fix.

Offensive efficiency also means fewer no-yardage or negative plays. Getting into third and short. Better down-and-distance. Move the chains. Run some clock. Rest the defense.

your stats are skewed against Kent and UAB as Mettenberger was not at the helm of all of the drives...

You're correct. I actually had typed out what Mettenberger had done against UAB (80%+ completions, 5 TDs before giving way), but I deleted it to go more big picture.

But posters have told me the last couple of days we can't do that. We are an uptempo offense. Can't slow down a polished mechanism like our uptempo offense. Runs too smooth to slow down and run ball control. Too hard to do. That's what I've been told.

We have three or four different tempos so whomever told you this is incorrect...

I don't know why you can't run up to the line, and stand there for 20 seconds. Do a couple "check with me's." Make the DL stay in their stance for that time.

The majority of college and pro staffs have no one qualified for that. It is common place to go "outside the program" for that help. Similar to what Taylor did with his quarterback coach.

Last edited:

Not trying to prove anything... trying to show the data and let people decide for themselves... and 33% for three & outs is not really that bad when you score on 38% of your drives.... just about any coach will tell you that.

How does 33% 3&out compare to other teams. Sounds like a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back