• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Three & Out w/ Martinez @ the helm - 2013 so far

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think that's what drives fans the craziest is we can look so good at times and so poor others. It also appears that If we manage to get a first down we have about a 50% chance of scoring. So once we get rolling we are hard to stop. Just need to get out of the gate a little better during the bigger games.
at the risk of sounding like I am cherry picking. We got out of the gate strong last year against OSU, and this year against UCLA, we were rolling early and came to a scretching halt in both games.

Given any thought to doing a weekly post reviewing the kicking game part of our games and maybe pulling in anything interesting that you see in other games? Wouldn't have to be long, but I think a lot of us would enjoy an expert's take.

Last edited:
1/3 of all the drives this year are 3 and out.... Against Wyoming, So Miss and UCLA....?? And you was trying to prove what? :confused:
I agree for the quality players that we have on offense and the "scoring explosion" we were suppose to see going three and out 33% of the time, with much of it against inferior defeneses, is NOT good. What is even more concerning has been our issues with maintaining sustained drives, particuarly in the UCLA game. I am doing this from memory and haven't re-watched the game(couldn't re-watch the game:banghead:) or gone through the stats but we only had one sustained drive in the UCLA game that led to a score and I believe I only remember one or maybe two other sustained drives in that whole game. Obviously Taylor was probably hurt but I think that is the point....we need to go with the hand that can move the offense. If Taylors back and healthy and can do it that is fine but if he can't then it is time to get someone in that can. It was nice to see the offense start fast against SDSU...may in part have been the quality of opponent but honestly starting fast on Offense is not something we have seen a lot of over the last couple of years, even against sub-par opposition.:2cents:

at the risk of sounding like I am cherry picking. We got out of the gate strong last year against OSU, and this year against UCLA, we were rolling early and came to a scretching halt in both games.

Actually even in the UCLA game one TD was a short field due to a fumble, one is credited to the Defense. Those 21 points only contained one sustained drive.

Actually even in the UCLA game one TD was a short field due to a fumble, one is credited to the Defense. Those 21 points only contained one sustained drive.
good point. The offense still moved the ball better early than it did later.

Given any thought to doing a weekly post reviewing the kicking game part of our games and maybe pulling in anything interesting that you see in other games? Wouldn't have to be long, but I think a lot of us would enjoy an expert's take.

Gladly will from here on out. I have been impressed for the most part in all phases...save Sam's second and third Q against UCLA against that wind... young punters think that when going into the wind they have to try and power though it...precisely the opposite... a good tight spiral will cut right through even a 30mph wind and turn over. You won't get a 55 yard boomer but I and any coach will take the 40-42 yards and minimal return... the moment you don't hit a spiral (because you are trying to muscle up/ think of a golf swing) into any noticeable wind you will lose 15-20 yards easy...

His punts in the third Q were 30, 39 and 28 (just broke midfield)... then I think we faked after the 28 yarder because of fear of another bad punt.

Last edited:

I was referring to individual drives not the game as a whole but totally agree.

Taylor Stats BIG 10

Passing yard 10th
Completions 4th
Attempts 10th
QB Rating 5
Yards Per Attempt 10th
TD's 4th
Longest Pass NR

He is not listed in any rushing stat

So what conclusions we draw, he is throwing short, completeable passes and he is making a fair amount of attempts at the lower end of the conference. He does complete those short passes. He is not feared as a rusher anymore. Certainly nothing to change out of base D for . OUR rushing leader, Abdullah is ranked 4th. Our receivers are not ranked highly in any stat if at all. Bell is ranked 10th in one stat.

So with all the hub bub and propaganda about the scoring explosion etc, our fireworks have proven to be duds. Our D is not gelled, so far anyway, our offense is schizoid at best.

Now back on topic, the stats show the Emperor has no clothes. If T mart was healthy any smart OC would be looking for a way to juvenate his gastly inadequate offense. WE HAVE THE TALENT.

Just as i'm not sold on Armstrong until he does the same thing over a couple game, i'm not sold on any stat about Martinez unless it's against UCLA competition. I do not care if someone can carve up Southern Miss or SDSU or Wyoming, I do care if someone can not have 3 and outs against UCLA and B1G competition.

Just as i'm not sold on Armstrong until he does the same thing over a couple game, i'm not sold on any stat about Martinez unless it's against UCLA competition. I do not care if someone can carve up Southern Miss or SDSU or Wyoming, I do care if someone can not have 3 and outs against UCLA and B1G competition.

*** - would you not agree that Beck's play calling had a lot to do with the sluggish 3rd Q?

2012 3 and Outs first 4 games

Southern Miss - 1
Arkansas State - 1
Idaho State - 0
UCLA - 4 (also a fumble and an INT I am not including to help him)

Like I've said numerous times, I don't care how Martinez does against terrible teams, it's about winning big games and championships here. So far he is 0-5 in CCG and bowl games and 3-7 against ranked opponents that past 3 years. Not all him but he is a part of it...

*** - would you not agree that Beck's play calling had a lot to do with the sluggish 3rd Q?

I would agree there a bit, I think Beck didn't call the best game. But we started stalling before the 3rd. Like I said, I think his QB gets in his head as a play caller. I know for a fact he got pissed at #3 that game and while I don't know for a fact that it affected (effected?) his play calling, I do know it has to do something to the plays he calls.

That being said, it wasn't only Martinez that lost us the UCLA game. Again i'm more pissed about our defense in that game...

I would agree there a bit, I think Beck didn't call the best game. But we started stalling before the 3rd. Like I said, I think his QB gets in his head as a play caller. I know for a fact he got pissed at #3 that game and while I don't know for a fact that it affected (effected?) his play calling, I do know it has to do something to the plays he calls.

That being said, it wasn't only Martinez that lost us the UCLA game. Again i'm more pissed about our defense in that game...

I 100% believe that Beck calls a series different when he thinks Taylor is struggling either mentally, physically or both... I just don't get why we don't bring out two tights and FB and try and pound the ball a little more with Imani. He just tries to be too darn fancy.

I guess Im indifferent on the 3 and outs because thats only part of it. Whats really the difference if we go 3 plays, get a first down, and then stall out on the next set of chains? 3 and outs are the 2nd ultimate failure on the offense (turnovers being the 1st) but it goes a little deeper than that. Weve had far too many drives over the years with TM at the helm that have stalled out, or didnt result in points when we needed points. That to me is the measuring stick of a QB. I would take a QB thats effecient, doesnt turn the ball over and finishes drives over one that can score on any play, but can just as easily turn it over. Im not saying TM is bad, not at all. Hes done some absolutley amazing things here. But hes also done some absolutely dumb things as well. At the end of the day, with all his upside, his downside is whats preventing him from honestly being the best QB's to sport a husker jersey.

Last edited:

I 100% believe that Beck calls a series different when he thinks Taylor is struggling either mentally, physically or both... I just don't get why we don't bring out two tights and FB and try and pound the ball a little more with Imani. He just tries to be too darn fancy.

Ya, I know he tries to limit Taylor's thinking when things happen like that. To be honest, I just am not sure what to make of the whole thing. Taylor has to be dynamic and a run threat for him to be effective as a passer in my eyes and obviously right now that isn't there.

In Beck's defense, Jake Long had had some penalties that they were trying to hold him accountable for and going double TEs means he was playing regardless, and our second string TE isn't ready to be the sole TE so that is a little troubling. I agree though, just line up and run power at someone for the first two downs. That will get the heat off of you and back on to Barney if it doesn't go well....:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back