• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Three & Out w/ Martinez @ the helm - 2013 so far

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hotlanta Husker

Junior Varsity
10 Year Member
So all those clambering for TA have been throwing out the turnovers and 3 and outs that "Taylor always generates"... Since the turnovers have already been dispelled thus far ( only 1 INT and 1 fumble on a 4th & 1 that he was going to be short on while clawing on the pile to try and gain it). I thought we would examine the 36 drives that Martinez lead in his 3 games at QB this season...

DATA: 36 drives with 12 three & outs

What we can see immediately... 3 of 12 were penalty hindered, 11 of the 12 were failed conversions when inside the NEB 30 yard line... 2 of the drives were trying to run the clock out

Wyoming - 13 total drives
1st drive - Martinez 2 yard run did not convert 3rd & 6 from NEB 6 - Pen. on 3rd & 1/false start Jake Long - (3 runs called)
7th drive - Martinez pass complete for -1 yard did not convert 3rd & 6 from NEB 25 - Pen. on 3rd & 1/false start Imani Cross - (2 runs called 1st and 2nd)
13th drive - Martinez 1 yard run did not convert 3rd & 5 from WYO 37 (3 runs called trying to run clock out, up 3 pts)

So Miss - 8 total drives (that Martinez lead)
1st drive - Martinez 3 yard run did not convert 3rd & 5 from NEB 12 (3 runs called)
3rd drive - Martinez 0 yard run did not convert 3rd & 7 from NEB 4 (2 runs called, 2nd and 3rd down)
6th drive - Martinez pass for 7 yards did not convert 3rd & 12 from NEB 23 (2 runs called)

UCLA - 15 total drives
1st Drive - Martinez incomplete pass did not convert 3rd & 7 from NEB 12 (1 run called on 1st down)
6th Drive - Martinez 1 yard run did not convert 3rd & 9 from NEB 30- Penalty on 3rd & 4/false start Quincy Enunwa - (2 runs called & Taylor scramble to avoid sack)
7th Drive - Abdullah 4 yard run did not convert on 3rd & 10 from NEB 25 (ran on 1st, 2nd & 3rd, trying to get to half time)
9th Drive - Martinez sacked for -9 yards did not convert 3rd & 6 from NEB 29 (only ran on first down)
10th Drive - Martinez incomplete pass did not convert 3rd & 10 from NEB 25 (no runs called)
13th Drive - Martinez incomplete pass did not convert 3rd & 9 from NEB 26 (no runs called, down 17 pts)

I will let you all interpret this how you like but the fact that 11 of the 12 were when we were in bad field position (inside our own 30) perhaps points to Beck not being comfortable calling certain plays (perhaps to protect Taylor?) and we also do not run the ball enough out of power formations to get into better down and distances... I think simplifying things when Taylor comes back healthy (like Beck did for TA and RK3) will make a big difference.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

I think the 6/15 3 and out drives in the UCLA are what stand out. Need to do a better job of changing field position even if the drive doesn't result in a score.

So all those clambering for TA have been throwing out the turnovers and 3 and outs that "Taylor always generates"... Since the turnovers have already been dispelled thus far ( only 1 INT and 1 fumble on a 4th & 1 that he was going to be short on while clawing on the pile to try and gain it). I thought we would examine the 36 drives that Martinez lead in his 3 games at QB this season...

DATA: 36 drives with 12 three & outs

What we can see immediately... 3 of 12 were penalty hindered, 11 of the 12 were failed conversions when inside the NEB 30 yard line... 2 of the drives were trying to run the clock out

Wyoming - 13 total drives
1st drive - Martinez 2 yard run did not convert 3rd & 6 from NEB 6 - Pen. on 3rd & 1/false start Jake Long - (3 runs called)
7th drive - Martinez pass complete for -1 yard did not convert 3rd & 6 from NEB 25 - Pen. on 3rd & 1/false start Imani Cross - (2 runs called 1st and 2nd)
13th drive - Martinez 1 yard run did not convert 3rd & 5 from WYO 37 (3 runs called trying to run clock out, up 3 pts)

So Miss - 8 total drives (that Martinez lead)
1st drive - Martinez 3 yard run did not convert 3rd & 5 from NEB 12 (3 runs called)
3rd drive - Martinez 0 yard run did not convert 3rd & 7 from NEB 4 (2 runs called, 2nd and 3rd down)
6th drive - Martinez pass for 7 yards did not convert 3rd & 12 from NEB 23 (2 runs called)

UCLA - 15 total drives
1st Drive - Martinez incomplete pass did not convert 3rd & 7 from NEB 12 (1 run called on 1st down)
6th Drive - Martinez 1 yard run did not convert 3rd & 9 from NEB 30- Penalty on 3rd & 4/false start Quincy Enunwa - (2 runs called & Taylor scramble to avoid sack)
7th Drive - Abdullah 4 yard run did not convert on 3rd & 10 from NEB 25 (ran on 1st, 2nd & 3rd, trying to get to half time)
9th Drive - Martinez sacked for -9 yards did not convert 3rd & 6 from NEB 29 (only ran on first down)
10th Drive - Martinez incomplete pass did not convert 3rd & 10 from NEB 25 (no runs called)
13th Drive - Martinez incomplete pass did not convert 3rd & 9 from NEB 26 (no runs called, down 17 pts)

I will let you all interpret this how you like but the fact that 11 of the 12 were when we were in bad field position (inside our own 30) perhaps points to Beck not being comfortable calling certain plays (perhaps to protect Taylor?) and we also do not run the ball enough out of power formations to get into better down and distances... I think simplifying things when Taylor comes back healthy (like Beck did for TA and RK3) will make a big difference.

Thoughts?
I guess you are saying that TM has played sooo well that he should still be in the Heisman race... ???

Wow... some of you are just clueless... I worked my tail off to extrapolate that data for everyone to see and clearly said... I will let you all interpret this how you like...

I certainly have a Martinez slant but I have never said he was gods gift to QBing... I just think he receives a very unjust amount of criticism when so many other areas are at times more to blame...

my feelings on the UCLA game... very bad play calling the third quarter and Sam Foltz's inability to hit a good spiral into the tough wind on his 3 punts (I am a former collegiate punter and kicker, so I am qualified to judge that)...

Last edited:
I think the 6/15 3 and out drives in the UCLA are what stand out. Need to do a better job of changing field position even if the drive doesn't result in a score.

100% agree... the punting badly into the wind killed us in the 3rd... and our inability to field punts has killed us other times.

so non-spiraling punts and bad play calling allowed UCLA to score 38 unanswered points. That is an interesting observation. So you punters do do something other than practice kicking during the season.

Wow... some of you are just clueless... I worked my tail off to extrapolate that data for everyone to see and clearly said... I will let you all interpret this how you like...

I certainly have a Martinez slant but I have never said he was gods gift to QBing... I just think he receives a very unjust amount of criticism when so many other areas are at times more to blame...

my feelings on the UCLA game... very bad play calling the third quarter and Sam Foltz's inability to hit a good spiral into the tough wind on his 3 punts (I am a former collegiate punter and kicker, so I am qualified to judge that)...
What team or division....good to have your knowledge.

Thoughts?

I would say you need to draw your definintion of bad field postion back to inside the20. If you have to change the way you call plays from your own 20 much less inside your 30 on a consistent basis, then you have the wrong guy playing QB or your OC sucks. Here in houston. Gary Kubiak is the only coach in the NFL that wont make an honest attempt to pick up a 3rd and 12 or beyond. That is because he is a dufus. Back to Taylor, throughout his career here, I would say the word inconsistent best defines him and our offense. Some of that is on him, and some of that is on Beck. Beck has done him no favors at times with some of his play calling. At the end of the day, our offense disappears for large chunks of games, this might be to our failure to make adjustmetents once our opponent does. Either way, it would be nice to see more consistency from our offense as far as quarter to quarter performance. I am not going to put that 100% on Taylor. I do think our offense showed more of that against SDSU but it was SDSU. One of the reasons that I am jacked about TA playing this week is so that I can see if that trend continues under his leadership.

1/3 of all the drives this year are 3 and out.... Against Wyoming, So Miss and UCLA....?? And you was trying to prove what? :confused:

Not trying to prove anything... trying to show the data and let people decide for themselves... and 33% for three & outs is not really that bad when you score on 38% of your drives.... just about any coach will tell you that.

Not trying to prove anything... trying to show the data and let people decide for themselves... and 33% for three & outs is not really that bad when you score on 38% of your drives.... just about any coach will tell you that.

I think that's what drives fans the craziest is we can look so good at times and so poor others. It also appears that If we manage to get a first down we have about a 50% chance of scoring. So once we get rolling we are hard to stop. Just need to get out of the gate a little better during the bigger games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back