• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Three & Out w/ Martinez @ the helm - 2013 so far

Status
Not open for further replies.

The clock runs on a run play short of the line to gain... you know this and even if you are running up tempo... more seconds run off the clock than if we have three incomplete passes...

God. Does anyone read the threads or just react? And I just noticed you changed your thread by the way. You stated three running play takes 90-100 seconds off the clock. I said not if you are running an uptemp offense.

Edit: back in the day an edit thingy would come up when you did that. Wish we still had it.

Last edited:

Let's try this. Since 120 seconds run off in three plays on nonclock stoppage I would hope an uptemp offense could run more than three plays in 100 seconds.

I actually wish our celebrations were more of the two hands up, akward high 5 variety like they were back then, man would that take me back...

We were kings of the awkward "high ten." Nowadays, it's got to be hard for some of the small-town guys to know what to do. The "hip-hop" handshake has about 50 variations. It's hard to know whether to high five, fist-bump, chest-bump, hip-bump or go for the one-armed sideways handshake into an elbow bump topped off with a half-hug.

Last edited:
We were kings of the awkward "high ten." Nowadays, it's got to be hard for some of the small-town guys to know what to do. The "hip-hop" handshake has about 50 variations. It's hard to know whether to high five, fist-bump, chest-bump, hip-bump or go for the one-armed sideways handshake into an elbow bump topped off with a half-hug.

<------ I'd prefer the chest-bump. :Biggrin:

God. Does anyone read the threads or just react? And I just noticed you changed your thread by the way. You stated three running play takes 90-100 seconds off the clock. I said not if you are running an uptemp offense.

Edit: back in the day an edit thingy would come up when you did that. Wish we still had it.

For the record... I edited 1:45 seconds to 90-100 seconds... I just changed the syntax not the data... and I did it less than a minute after I posted it...

Last edited:

Baylor doesn't have a 3 and out all season. Poor schedule so far but still impressive.

And 1st down is generally a run down. If its gets stuffed, 2nd down then becomes the management to get to 3rd and medium/short. Usually your bread and butter pass or run is called. Theres no difference between an incomplete on 1st down, or a run for no gain on 1st down.
I think the point I was trying to make was this. Beck chose to run the ball first on every one of those "drives". He became very, very conservative. That may have had something to do with the fact that we were facing a considerable wind in that quarter and he was reluctant to put the ball into the air on first down, however, because Mora knew what we were going to do the net result was the same as an incomplete pass.

The subsequent punt also left the Bruins with extremely favorable field position every single time. I don't think they started any of their drives within their own 40.

I think the point I was trying to make was this. Beck chose to run the ball first on every one of those "drives". He became very, very conservative. That may have had something to do with the fact that we were facing a considerable wind in that quarter and he was reluctant to put the ball into the air on first down, however, because Mora knew what we were going to do the net result was the same as an incomplete pass.

The subsequent punt also left the Bruins with extremely favorable field position every single time. I don't think they started any of their drives within their own 40.

I don't disagree, and I'm with you on Becks play calling at times. I think the point of the OP and also your posts is when our QB isn't competing passes, and our OC then becomes super conservative, our offense becomes very ineffective.

I don't disagree, and I'm with you on Becks play calling at times. I think the point of the OP and also your posts is when our QB isn't competing passes, and our OC then becomes super conservative, our offense becomes very ineffective.
Well, yeah!

you are missing a half of that component though.... if you run more time off the game clock the other team has less time to score... 3 running plays takes about 90-100 seconds off the clock. 3 incomplete passes takes 20-30 seconds...

Actually you missed the part of my post where I said "Unless you are trying to run time off the clock". Nebraska is not necessarily interested in running time off the clock until it matters in the 4th Q. Back in 09/10 when the offense was putrid...yeah...shorten the game. But that's not the case with this offense.

Again the point that is often made is that the offense is trying to give the defense a blow. 3 and out running or three and out passing is the same thing as far as giving the defense time to rest.

Last edited:

I think Taylor does that. What I don't know is is it deliberate.

One of our "tempos" is to hurry to the line, fake the clap and the "hutt" and see where the blitz is coming from, if at all. Taylor then gets a new play from the sideline or is told to run what was originally called depending on where the coverage was rolling or where the blitz was coming from. Or we have one where we just go on first clap or "hutt" and we run it regardless. Sometimes they want to go extremely fast and sometimes they want to diagnose what the defense is doing first...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back