• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

You get one do-over – Which game is it?

They sure like to think so, anyway. :rolleyes: But the entire season I’d felt that there were cracks in the foundation, and I think that game just exposed them.
Funny how cracks in the foundation still got us to a NC game back then. That little counter Colorado ran all day long against us is like the jet sweep against Wisconsin. How do you let the same play beat you all game long!

Funny how cracks in the foundation still got us to a NC game back then. That little counter Colorado ran all day long against us is like the jet sweep against Wisconsin. How do you let the same play beat you all game long!

When your offense is 1 player, your team will hit its limit at some point, even if he is a super-talented, Heisman-winning QB. And IIRC, it took a very specific chain of events with long odds of occurring for us to get into that NC game.

Not saying it wasn’t a very good team, but the program had started to turn before that CU game.

2001 Miami.

We get a sixth national title and Solich probably keeps his job. No Callahan. Frank coaches for a longer period of time, maybe all the way to Nebraska joining the Big Ten. We hand off the reigns to a longtime OC/DC, maybe Pelini?

Nebraska stays relevant, winning 8+ games a year, and keeps making bowls.
That ‘01 Canes team was arguably the best team of all time. We were not in that category…they should’ve won and did.

Not even close.
And your suggestion is …?

38 members of that team went on to play in the NFL. 6 players on that team earned All-American status.

Their offense averaged 42.6 ppg and defense averaged 9.7 ppg.

Their RB depth chart was Clinton Portis, Willis McGahee, Najeh Davenport and Frank Gore. Frank Gore was 4th on their RB depth chart!

Last edited:

The Reno Hightower reference in another thread got me thinking. You get a do-over for one game in Nebraska football history and of course, we win it.

I’ll take the 1988 UCLA game. That was our only loss until the bowl game. I guess we would have still played Miami in the Orange Bowl based on the tie-ins? I’m not sure about that, but maybe we could’ve played Notre Dame in the Fiesta Bowl because we would’ve been ranked 1 or 2 had we beat UCLA.

Which game would you choose?
Easy. Miami-Nebraska, Orange Bowl, for 1983 National Championship. Not sure what you mean by "do over" (only a single play, an entire game "replayed", or flip a loss to a win?) but that is the game I wish we either tied (worse case scenario as I am glad TO went for the win, but, hey, a natty is a natty) or won for the natty.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back