• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Wisky's O-Line

Since the offenses are nothing alike, I wouldn't expect them to.

ummm, is this what you were trying to say? I think a better take may be, "since one offense is in 25th year of running a certain style, and the other offense is in it's 15th game, I wouldn't expect them too."

Besides, who are you kidding, Wisky's O-Line is the envy of 98% of college football teams. Ours, not so much.

13 of 17 on that O-line roster are from Wisconsin. Looks like it's pretty easy to recruit huge O-lineman road grader types from the home state. Nebraska has nothing like that when you consider Nebraska population is about 1.9 million while Wisconsin is 5.8 million. So it's simply not a fair comparison what we're going to get for O-line recruits versus Wisconsin IMO.

13 of 17 on that O-line roster are from Wisconsin. Looks like it's pretty easy to recruit huge O-lineman road grader types from the home state. Nebraska has nothing like that when you consider Nebraska population is about 1.9 million while Wisconsin is 5.8 million. So it's simply not a fair comparison what we're going to get for O-line recruits versus Wisconsin IMO.
I think you see our staff going after a totally different type of lineman than the past staff. Lots of 6’6” 255-265lb guys. They want to grow them into what they want. In the past too many 300lbs right out of high school. Granted Wisconsin has just developed better and has years running the same system. Our guys have fat man arms, no muscle. Our line has looked kind of fat and weak for twenty years.

ummm, is this what you were trying to say? I think a better take may be, "since one offense is in 25th year of running a certain style, and the other offense is in it's 15th game, I wouldn't expect them too."

Besides, who are you kidding, Wisky's O-Line is the envy of 98% of college football teams. Ours, not so much.

Nobody is arguing otherwise, so I'm not sure what your point is. But even when Nebraska's O line becomes really good, it won't look like Wisconsin's.

I think he's dealing with things he hasn't had to deal with before. I'm not sure the O-line is as bad a people think but its not fully developed yet...takes a few years IMO. They put up 700 yards on Saturday so he's doing something right.
O-Line is not as bad but still making too many mistakes … false starts, high snaps have returned, failure to score on 1st and goal is somewhat on them as well.

I seem to remember Nebraska high schools ran offenses very similar to TO's offense back in the day, so the Olinemen coming out of those schools were perfectly suited for it when they got to Lincoln. I wonder if Wisconsin high schools do the same. I wouldn't be surprised, since Barry Alverez has copied so much from the Huskers.

But I bet coach Frost would lean more on running game if he had their line. Playcalling hasn't helped our offensive for a long time now. Pelini wasn't sure what type of offense to run, Langsdorf was a horrible play caller, and coach Frost is still learning but seeming to get a little better
And then he'd immediately start recruiting OL's that fit his actual offense.

Last edited:

I seem to remember Nebraska high schools ran offenses very similar to TO's offense back in the day, so the Olinemen coming out of those schools were perfectly suited for it when they got to Lincoln. I wonder if Wisconsin high schools do the same. I wouldn't be surprised, since Barry Alverez has copied so much from the Huskers.
As in most states the offenses run in high school are a mixed bag. I don't think there is an intentional effort to be like the state university here in Wisconsin.

I also think in today's collegiate football world its night and day between high school and college (unless you're in Texas). The S&C, nutrition and coaching are so much more intense, in depth and extensive in college.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back