• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Winners/Losers in Conference Realignment

Don’t claim to know a lot on the subject,but since this is an opinion based question, I will give mine. I think Nebraska is certainly financially secure now. I don’t really like the big ten,but glad we are out of the big twelve. I think the big twelve took a big hit in the re-alignment,and the pac twelve didn’t fare very well either.Gmo.GBR. I like the OP.Good subject matter for the off season.

Do not understand how he decides winners and losers. Seems to be a basketball centric argument.

I don't think most of our struggles have much to do with realignment. I might buy that Pelini's defense wasn't equipped for the more physical style of the Big Ten but poor leadership and a disastrous athletic director hire followed by an equally disastrous coaching hire have more to do with our lack of success since 2012 than changing leagues. And the move has been a massive win in other respects.

Last edited:

I don't think most of our struggles have much to do with realignment. I might buy that Pelini's defense wasn't equipped for the more physical style of the Big Ten but poor leadership and a disastrous athletic director hire followed by an equally disastrous coaching hire have more to do with our lack of success since 2012 than changing leagues. And the move has been a massive win in other respects.
I think you need to add spotty recruiting to the tab.

Do not understand how he decides winners and losers. Seems to be a basketball centric argument.

Must be, look at Volleyball, I think the move to the Big 10 helped in that sport. I remember Cook saying that the way the Big 10 schedules may help when they get to big tourney time, maybe in playing back to back nights etc.

If we look at individual sports, I guess maybe not a win but overall picture I think Nebraska is doing just fine.

Best realignments were Riley back to the west coast, Pelini back to Ohio, and Callahan back to the pros

I agree with 66% of this. If Bo worked for Bill Moos I think he'd have had a great shot at NU long term. His defenses weren't ready for the Big Ten, but I suspect that would have changed given a few more seasons. Also, find me any coach who can successfully navigate a Power 5 switch while maintaining 9+ win seasons.

For reference, both Colorado and A&M switched coaches the same year they moved to new conferences. Mizzou carried Gary Pinkel with them for four seasons into the SEC where his win column jumped like the San Andreas fault, going from 5-wins in 2012, up to a 12-win and 11-win season, until falling back to 5-wins in 2015.

I'm not really interested in investigating Rutgers or Maryland, but I can virtually guarantee they were mediocre pre- and post-Big Ten. Maybe the coaches at Louisville, Pitt or Syracuse had a good, consistent winning record pre- and post-ACC but I'm too lazy to look.

IMHO, Yahoo sports is probably more click-baity then most but it is a fun topic. Despite the article's narrow scope I would have voted both Nebraska and Creighton as big time winners in the conference realignment. Creighton for obvious reasons. The Huskers because a future in the Big 10 is hands down far better then what we had going in the Big 12. There must be a reason Texass is on the losing side in that list also. The article does have a point about lack of titles since the realignment but had Pelini figured it all out and won something of value we would still be in a sub-par conference with no agreeable future, while the mothership Texass school still flounders around looking for a "home".

I agree with 66% of this. If Bo worked for Bill Moos I think he'd have had a great shot at NU long term. His defenses weren't ready for the Big Ten, but I suspect that would have changed given a few more seasons. Also, find me any coach who can successfully navigate a Power 5 switch while maintaining 9+ win seasons.

For reference, both Colorado and A&M switched coaches the same year they moved to new conferences. Mizzou carried Gary Pinkel with them for four seasons into the SEC where his win column jumped like the San Andreas fault, going from 5-wins in 2012, up to a 12-win and 11-win season, until falling back to 5-wins in 2015.

I'm not really interested in investigating Rutgers or Maryland, but I can virtually guarantee they were mediocre pre- and post-Big Ten. Maybe the coaches at Louisville, Pitt or Syracuse had a good, consistent winning record pre- and post-ACC but I'm too lazy to look.
BP was not ready to be NU's head coach ... never been a HC and he was given the keys to a blue blood program. He was hiring GA's at other P5 schools to be assistants and coordinators. He recruited poorly at arguably the most important position on the team.

If BM was around as opposed to SE ... yes maybe he could've navigated BP's petulant child-like behavior and we wouldn't have had to endure the MR era. But IMO we'd still be winning 9 games a year, losing consistently to the top tier of the B1G and rarely if at all have gotten into the B1G championship game.

BP isn't exactly tearing it up at YSU. He hasn't been snatched up for a second chance at a P5 school ... I think those are strong indicators moving on from BP wasn't a bad thing.

Dumb opinion regarding Nebraska. We wouldn't have had markedly different results if we had stayed in the Big XII. Some sports have done well, and some have not. The lack of success in football is due to the coaching staffs, and that wouldn't have been any different in the Big XII.

I think you need to add spotty recruiting to the tab.

Oh, I agree. The pretense of the article is that we are losers in realignment because we changed conferences. My perspective is our struggles have had little to do with conference affiliation and much more to do with self-inflicted wounds.

The good new is I think we are finally getting out of our own way.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back