• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Winners/Losers in Conference Realignment

I agree with 66% of this. If Bo worked for Bill Moos I think he'd have had a great shot at NU long term. His defenses weren't ready for the Big Ten, but I suspect that would have changed given a few more seasons. Also, find me any coach who can successfully navigate a Power 5 switch while maintaining 9+ win seasons.

For reference, both Colorado and A&M switched coaches the same year they moved to new conferences. Mizzou carried Gary Pinkel with them for four seasons into the SEC where his win column jumped like the San Andreas fault, going from 5-wins in 2012, up to a 12-win and 11-win season, until falling back to 5-wins in 2015.

I'm not really interested in investigating Rutgers or Maryland, but I can virtually guarantee they were mediocre pre- and post-Big Ten. Maybe the coaches at Louisville, Pitt or Syracuse had a good, consistent winning record pre- and post-ACC but I'm too lazy to look.

I tend to agree that Bo's time at NU could have been far different without the albatross of Perlman and Eichorst around his neck but he was also done in by not maintaining the quality of his staff once there was attrition. Papuchis wasn't ready to be a Power 5 DC and the loss of Sanders resulted in a virtual revolving door for the DB coach. Some of those issues impacted recruiting, too.

All in all, I felt like the unraveling of the Pelini era was the result of multiple layers of dysfunction, some of which were of Bo's doing and some of which weren't.

I'm happy with where we are now though.

Last edited:

Oh, I agree. The pretense of the article is that we are losers in realignment because we changed conferences. My perspective is our struggles have had little to do with conference affiliation and much more to do with self-inflicted wounds.

The good new is I think we are finally getting out of our own way.
Agree 100%

I tend to agree that Bo's time at NU could have been far different without the albatross of Perlman and Eichorst around his neck but he was also done in by not maintaining the quality of his staff once there was attrition. Papuchis wasn't ready to be a Power 5 DC and the loss of Sanders resulted in a virtual revolving door for the DB coach. Some of those issues impacted recruiting, too.

All in all, I felt like the unraveling of the Pelini era was the result of multiple layers of dysfunction, some of which were of Bo's doing and some of which weren't.

I'm happy with where we are now though.

In a perfect world, I wouldn't mind Frost as our Head Coach with Pelini as DC.

I don't think most of our struggles have much to do with realignment. I might buy that Pelini's defense wasn't equipped for the more physical style of the Big Ten but poor leadership and a disastrous athletic director hire followed by an equally disastrous coaching hire have more to do with our lack of success since 2012 than changing leagues. And the move has been a massive win in other respects.
I love having Frost he’s an outstanding coach and recruiter who’s surrounded himself with incredible coaching talent. The reason for the struggles over the past fifteen years is the firing of two 9-3 coaches by two horrible athletic directors. Callahan and Riley were terrible hires. However lessons were learned and Nebraska is going to be a team to be reckoned with for a long time. Hopefully the leadership in the Athlete Department will remain strong. Two AD’s are the main reason for the football programs struggles.

I don't think most of our struggles have much to do with realignment. I might buy that Pelini's defense wasn't equipped for the more physical style of the Big Ten but poor leadership and a disastrous athletic director hire followed by an equally disastrous coaching hire have more to do with our lack of success since 2012 than changing leagues. And the move has been a massive win in other respects.
Agreed. And it also didn't help that they gave us a murderer's row schedule those first couple of years. Ultimately I think we are still trying to tool our teams to compete effectively in the B1G. That should have happened long ago but some bad coaching hires slowed the process. Financially and for stability it's been a very good move.

I love having Frost he’s an outstanding coach and recruiter who’s surrounded himself with incredible coaching talent. The reason for the struggles over the past fifteen years is the firing of two 9-3 coaches by two horrible athletic directors. Callahan and Riley were terrible hires. However lessons were learned and Nebraska is going to be a team to be reckoned with for a long time. Hopefully the leadership in the Athlete Department will remain strong. Two AD’s are the main reason for the football programs struggles.
What is disappointing to me is that we (NU) didn’t learn from its first lesson. BC was a doomed to fail from the start because he was a bad fit culturally. We then go out a hire another outsider who was just as bad culturally.

Agree, but it wasn't just the ADs. It was the guy that hired the ADs. Granted, most everyone was surprised Pederson sucked, but the Eichorst/Riley debacle is all on Perlman's tab and Exhibit A for how an administration can totally muck up an athletic department. Perlman's legacy is complicated. He did a lot of good things for the university as a whole but he was no friend of the athletic department.

The loss of Hank Bounds concerns me. The ADs and coaches obviously matter greatly but the University's upper administration has to be pulling in the same direction. Unfortunately, we have lived the example of what happens when it's not.

Last edited:

Going to the Big 10 with greatly increased revenue allowed Nebraska to plunk down big bucks for a coach Frost. Not sure we would have been so quick to shell out 5 million a year with Big 12 revenue but we'll never know for sure.........

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back