• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Why Nebraska’s Tommy Armstrong Jr. is out to prove to NFL scouts that he’s ‘more than just a quarter

Sure, but we've had plenty of talented quarterbacks that haven't been drafted. Similarly, many quarterbacks are drafted from poor teams. A player getting drafted or not getting drafted doesn't determine his value to his college team.
LOL more delusional by the minute. Did you ever consider it is possible to be an excellent player on a bad team? However being a bad player in the right position can make a good team bad. Look at Dallas 2015 vs 2016.

Last edited:

I hope Tommy finds success in the NFL. He's not the prototypical Brady or Manning, but he's a good athlete and has one of the biggest wills to win I've ever seen in a student. Maybe even more than Abdullah or Burkhead, IMO.

Also, for all the "non-Tommy" crowd out there, the Husker QB Record Book has been pretty much demolished by Tommy and the other "favorite guy to hate," Taylor Martinez. Not saying they've been the best quarterbacks in the world, but you don't pass over guys like Gill, Frazier, Frost and Crouch by pure accident.
In case you missed it, the NFL QB position is changing with guys like Preston, Wilson and Newton. Frazier could never have played with his health issues, Gill could possibly have played today, Frost and Crouch never.

Please show the record book stats that show Tommy demolished those guys.

Here's one stat he truly demolished all the others:

Armstrong 44
Martinez 29
Crouch 25
Frost 20
Gill 11
Frazier 11

Career interceptions thrown

How about a complete picture of your selected stat:

-Armstrong 44 INT's out of 1172 career attempts. INT's thrown = 3.75%
-Martinez 29 INT's out of 962 career attempts. INT's thrown = 3.01%
-Crouch 25 INT's out of 606 career attempts. INT's thrown = 4.13 %
-Frost 12 INT's out of 445 career attempts. INT's thrown = 2.70 %
-Gill 11 INT's out of 428 career attempts. INT's thrown = 2.57 %
-Frazier's 11 INT's out of 469 career attempts. INT's thrown = 2.35%

For perspective, let's add a couple more NU QB's:

-J Ganz 18 INT's out of 585 career attempts. INT's thrown = 3.08%
-S.Taylor 24 INT's out of 404 career attempts. INT's thrown = 5.94%
-V. Farragamo 34 INT's out of 665 career attempts. INT's thrown = 5.11%
-D. Humm 42 INT's out of 681 career attempts. INT's thrown = 6.17%
-J.Tagge 20 INT's out of 637 career attempts. INT's thrown = 3.14%

The GOAT just as a reference:

-Tom Brady 17 INT's out of 638 career attempts INT's thrown = 2.66%

Tommy Armstrong simply isn't the failure many are painting him to be.

Last edited:

TA will always be a failure in many fans eyes. The simple fact is he didn't win enough. Neither did Taylor Martinez. They were not difference makers that lifted their teams to greater heights by their own will or ability. Frazier could do that, and so could Crouch, especially Crouch. He elevated his team way beyond what they were with a different QB like Jamal Lord.

TA and Martinez never had the surrounding casts that any of the QB's in post 34 had, except for Joe Ganz. Put either one of them on the 1997 team and they are most likely still playing for a NC. They both would have fit in very well in TO's system.

LOL more delusional by the minute. Did you ever consider it is possible to be an excellent player on a bad team? However being a bad player in the right position can make a good team bad. Look at Dallas 2015 vs 2016.

I agree with this post for the most part, but just gotta point out, one player wasn't the difference between the 2015 Cowboys & 2016 Cowboys.

A little perspective is in order: Had Gill, Frazier, Frost, or Crouch played their career behind the same quality O-line that Armstrong played behind, their stat's and team records would have been markedly different. And like-wise, had Tommy played behind their O-lines he may have been in a Heisman discussion.

15 QB's better than Tommy? Please. The dude was scrambling for his life half the snaps he took and still managed to break nearly all QB records at NU. I think Armstrong isn't getting a fair shake here.

Again, I don't put much stock into quarterback records. There are meaningless in comparing completely different eras of offenses.

Examples:

There's been 24 seasons where the NU QB had 2,000 or more yards of total offense.

Of the top 13, none happened in the Osborne era. 10 of the top 12 happened under either Bo, Riley, or Callahan.

Sam Keller had more yards of offense in 2007 than any Osborne QB in any one season. Sam Stinkin' Keller. And he played only 9 games in 2007.

(Joe Ganz was, by far, the best QB in the past 15 years -- but of course, Tommy Armstrong had three times as many starts.)

Last edited:
Again, I don't put much stock into quarterback records. There are meaningless in comparing completely different eras of offenses.

Examples:

There's been 24 seasons where the NU QB had 2,000 or more yards of total offense.

Of the top 13, none happened in the Osborne era. 10 of the top 12 happened under either Bo, Riley, or Callahan.

Sam Keller had more yards of offense in 2007 than any Osborne QB in any one season. Sam Stinkin' Keller. And he played only 9 games in 2007.

(Joe Ganz was, by far, the best QB in the past 15 years -- but of course, Tommy Armstrong had three times as many starts.)
Exactly...apples and oranges.

Examples:

Mix it how you will, but you saying Armstrong is not in the top 15 All-time QB's at NU is ridiculous at best.

Tommy did more with less than any QB in recent history in spite of the fact that he was playing behind some of the worst NU O-lines in recent times.

Last edited:

You pass over guys like Gill, Frazier, Frost, and Crouch -- only statistically -- because offenses today are completely different than offenses of the 80s and 90s. Obviously, you know that. Martinez also owns Frazier and the others statistically.

It's the same idea that kept Frazier from getting the Heisman he deserved. He didn't have a bunch of gaudy statistics because he didn't throw the ball a lot and when he ran, he oftentimes pitched the ball, giving up all of any potential rushing yardage.

Tommy Armstrong is not even on the same planet as Gill, Frazier, Frost, and Crouch. There's probably around 15 quarterbacks in NU history that were better than Tommy. Maybe more. Tommy was a good quarterback. Not a great quarterback. And saying that doesn't mean anyone is "non-Tommy;" it means they are realistic.

This is exactly why a QB being drafted doesn't really make a lot of difference to me. The best QBs in the history of our program weren't drafted. Many quarterbacks of poor teams ARE drafted. I'm much more interested in our TEAM being great than worrying about a player from one position getting drafted.

Tommy did more with less than any QB in recent history in spite of the fact that he was playing behind some of the worst NU O-lines in recent times.

There is something to be said for your argument. This reasoning is why I think Abdullah is easily a top 3 Husker RB. Where this line of thinking gets hurt is the many times Armstrong hurt the team with bonehead plays. I wouldn't put Armstrong in my top 15 but I understand why some would. He is definitely a top 15 QB in the leadership category imo.

This is exactly why a QB being drafted doesn't really make a lot of difference to me. The best QBs in the history of our program weren't drafted. Many quarterbacks of poor teams ARE drafted. I'm much more interested in our TEAM being great than worrying about a player from one position getting drafted.

That said, the best quarterbacks in our history ... most of 'em anyhow ... were never pro-style QBs. Thus, we knew from day one they had somewhere between very little and no shot of being an NFL QB. That's not the case any longer.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back