• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Why Nebraska’s Tommy Armstrong Jr. is out to prove to NFL scouts that he’s ‘more than just a quarter

That would be a nice individual accomplishment for a player, but doesn't really mean much to the team.

I'm looking forward to having a QB rather than a RB who can throw behind center. I recognize that there are 11 players on field. Not sure what it was about my post that made you go there.

I agree that Nebraska's shift to a "pro-style" offense increases the likelihood of a quarterback getting drafted (as a QB). But I still don't think that means that our team will necessarily be better or worse. Alabama's last two quarterbacks (Coker and Sims) weren't drafted, but I bet their fans don't care... their two year record of 26-3, two playoff appearances, and one national championship is probably enough.

Their fans don't care because they consistently put out an all world defense and are loaded for bear at nearly every position. I don't see NU getting to that talent level in the near future. A quarterback who is good enough to get drafted can elevate the offensive production in NU's current scheme. That's part of the puzzle, but obviously not the whole.

TA will give it his all if he finds the right team to sign with as a free agent he'll have a chance. I hate them but the Patriots are known for finding diamonds in the rough and they don't seem to care how the NFL scouts rate them. Really wish Tommy all the luck in the world. He gave Husker fans all he had.

I hope Tommy finds success in the NFL. He's not the prototypical Brady or Manning, but he's a good athlete and has one of the biggest wills to win I've ever seen in a student. Maybe even more than Abdullah or Burkhead, IMO.

Also, for all the "non-Tommy" crowd out there, the Husker QB Record Book has been pretty much demolished by Tommy and the other "favorite guy to hate," Taylor Martinez. Not saying they've been the best quarterbacks in the world, but you don't pass over guys like Gill, Frazier, Frost and Crouch by pure accident.

All I know is that if I'm an NFL coach, I want Tommy on my team. I'll figure out where I can get him on the field and how to the ball in his hands eventually.

I hope Tommy finds success in the NFL. He's not the prototypical Brady or Manning, but he's a good athlete and has one of the biggest wills to win I've ever seen in a student. Maybe even more than Abdullah or Burkhead, IMO.

Also, for all the "non-Tommy" crowd out there, the Husker QB Record Book has been pretty much demolished by Tommy and the other "favorite guy to hate," Taylor Martinez. Not saying they've been the best quarterbacks in the world, but you don't pass over guys like Gill, Frazier, Frost and Crouch by pure accident.

Please show the record book stats that show Tommy demolished those guys.

Here's one stat he truly demolished all the others:

Armstrong 44
Martinez 29
Crouch 25
Frost 20
Gill 11
Frazier 11

Career interceptions thrown

Armstrong 44
Martinez 29
Crouch 25
Frost 20
Gill 11
Frazier 11

WOW! Bitter much?

Armstrong 44
Martinez 29
Crouch 25
Frost 20
Gill 11
Frazier 11

Tommy Fraizer's career passing record...232 of 469 ...49.5%
Tommy Armstrong career passing record...625 of 1172..53%

You pass over guys like Gill, Frazier, Frost, and Crouch -- only statistically -- because offenses today are completely different than offenses of the 80s and 90s. Obviously, you know that. Martinez also owns Frazier and the others statistically.

It's the same idea that kept Frazier from getting the Heisman he deserved. He didn't have a bunch of gaudy statistics because he didn't throw the ball a lot and when he ran, he oftentimes pitched the ball, giving up all of any potential rushing yardage.

Tommy Armstrong is not even on the same planet as Gill, Frazier, Frost, and Crouch. There's probably around 15 quarterbacks in NU history that were better than Tommy. Maybe more. Tommy was a good quarterback. Not a great quarterback. And saying that doesn't mean anyone is "non-Tommy;" it means they are realistic.

Last edited:

You pass over guys like Gill, Frazier, Frost, and Crouch -- only statistically -- because offenses today are completely different than offenses of the 80s and 90s. Obviously, you know that. Martinez also owns Frazier and the others statistically.

It's the same idea that kept Frazier from getting the Heisman he deserved. He didn't have a bunch of gaudy statistics because he didn't throw the ball a lot and when he ran, he oftentimes pitched the ball, giving up all of any potential rushing yardage.

Tommy Armstrong is not even on the same planet as Gill, Frazier, Frost, and Crouch. There's probably around 15 quarterbacks in NU history that were better than Tommy. Maybe more. Tommy was a good quarterback. Not a great quarterback. And saying that doesn't mean anyone is "non-Tommy;" it means they are realistic.
Nailed it.

A little perspective is in order: Had Gill, Frazier, Frost, or Crouch played their career behind the same quality O-line that Armstrong played behind, their stat's and team records would have been markedly different. And like-wise, had Tommy played behind their O-lines he may have been in a Heisman discussion.

15 QB's better than Tommy? Please. The dude was scrambling for his life half the snaps he took and still managed to break nearly all QB records at NU. I think Armstrong isn't getting a fair shake here.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back