• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Why Is Our Student Section Lacking?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, its a double edged sword. The schools with a rowdy student section are usually schools that get a bad rep because of all the classless acts. Look at Wisconsin. People RAVE about their student section, but yet all you hear from opposing teams are how classless they are. Not saying one leads to the other, but if we had a rockin rowdy student section, there would probably be people complaining about certain cheers, actions etc from the student section. Id rather be known as a smart classy fan base than a rowdy classless one. And for the people that say you can still be really rowdy and have class, its mob mentality, I again point out the "classless" fan bases with rockin student sections.

Well, its a double edged sword. The schools with a rowdy student section are usually schools that get a bad rep because of all the classless acts. Look at Wisconsin. People RAVE about their student section, but yet all you hear from opposing teams are how classless they are. Not saying one leads to the other, but if we had a rockin rowdy student section, there would probably be people complaining about certain cheers, actions etc from the student section. Id rather be known as a smart classy fan base than a rowdy classless one. And for the people that say you can still be really rowdy and have class, its mob mentality, I again point out the "classless" fan bases with rockin student sections.

Can't argue with that.

This topic gets discussed several times a year and my answer is I don't know. Sorry best I could come up with.

There are a lot of people who give a lot of money to the University Athletics. You can't shaft these people either. The donors are what keep the athletic department running and prevent the University from having to use their money for athletics. The students are future alumni that will donate (hopefully).

My stupid suggestion would be to move the Band (which apparently isn't very involved in the game anyway according to Minnesota fans) to the South Endzone in the upper sections and move the students down to the lower sections in the South endzone in front of the band and then use what is left for regular fans. This would also free up more space on the east side. Just an idea. Not ideal for the band I know but something to look at.

So your solution is to give the students even crappier seats ?

I'm honestly not sure what the Minnesota fans were talking about. Yes, the student section had space at the top early in the game, but it filled up later and stayed that way until the game was clearly out of hand. I think it's just more obvious because of the free-for-all seating. And, their seats aren't any worse than any other corner section- I'm in a corner, and I'm pretty happy with the view!

The band and the students lead every effort to get the stadium energized. I have to admit that it got pretty quiet in the stadium during the Minnesota game, but again, it was obvious pretty early that we were going to win. Hard to be motivated to scream your lungs out when the game is, for all intents and purposes, already over.

This! :nod:

This is the only compliment I will ever deliver Missouri: they do their student section right.

Give the students the first 15 rows of East Stadium and remove the 16th so the blue hairs don't have to stand. The seats are not outstanding vantage points, but they are close to the game and, even more importantly, close to the opponent's bench. You are not going to miss out on the lucrative donations for these seats and Memorial will finally develop a reputation for being a great AND intimidating place to play (especially with reverberation from new addition). You can GA the entire section, but a transfer system is important since not all students that want to attend can be accommodated.

101_1910 - Copy (2) (800x600).jpg
This is what I saw at the start of the 3rd QTR. from my seats in the North endzone.

thats not real surprising the game was a blowout and halftime is a great time to go back to O street or the dorms or wherever they are serving minors alcohol

see how bunched up they are at the bottom?

Yup, this is a huge and serious problem. We owe those Gopher fans for pointing out how our venue and student section are a complete fail compared to theirs. Since we've already screwed the students with lousy seats and they refuse to actually sit in them, there is only one solution:

-in his last act as AD, TO solves the program's most critical issue by purchasing several thousand cut-out images of students to place at these seats so that they appear to visitors as though the seats are filled. He could also go one step further by piping in noise in the form of drunken cheers and nasty catcall's. Problem fixed and image to visiting fans restored!

Last edited:

I agree with overselling to fill the section. It's simplistic to suggest moving them to a better section. Who wants to be the one to tell those fans they are moving? Plus, I'm sure on a per seat basis those other fans are paying more. It's a tricky problem, and it's certainly not one of NU's most pressing issues in the athletic department.

I'm sure the fire marshall would have a bone to pick with overselling the student section.

All the students stand the entire game, and they cram down into the row in front of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back