• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Why Is Our Student Section Lacking?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedDog

Recruit
10 Year Member
I was so embarrassed Saturday at the game with our student section. Sitting next to some Gopher fans they asked me "I thought you guys sell out all your games...so why is that section over there empty towards the top?" Yep, it was our student section. There was about 10 rows that were empty. It looked like the bands section at halftime.

I really don't notice them much during the games and many of the threads I have read from visiting teams say the same thing. I really think this needs to be addressed.

...they dont have assigned seats, its GA. Simply put, they cram an extra 5-10 bodies per row. There is your empty seats towards the top

There definitely has been a little bit of a turn around with some of the students.

When I went to unl during that horrible '07 season, we had pretty sweet seats in the south endzone. Now they're pushed up in the corner (much like the visiting team).

I acquired student season tix last year and was waiting in line hours upon hours just so me and my group could get front row seats. The students at the top of the section are the typical drunk sorority bi...err...girls that don't have a clue about what's going on. There were basically 3 groups there early (7am for a 2:30 kickoff) with us plus a ton of freshman in the south gate entrance.

Also, the AD changed how students can sell tickets this year. A HUGE pain for another student or buyer, plus for the student selling.

I don't know where I'm going with this, just some observations...

It's also a short week before the holiday, many skip Mon/Tue classes to get home to their family sooner. Not sure if it's enough to explain empty seats, but I did drop my cousin off at the airport last Saturday for this very reason.

I don't know how it worked before, but she got a friend to transfer a ticket into my name and it took about all of ten minutes on my iPhone to get it purchased online and printed for the PSU game.

On the topic of things lacking, I do think that Memorial stadium doesn't get as loud as it could, at least not that day nor consistently every game. I know there are many factors. But my take that day was that the place erupted after the opening drive of the second half to the 3rd down conversion completed by PSU, the play where Ciante's helmet broke. The sack, pick, and TD in between kept up the volume until that conversion, but the rest of the game never got that loud until the game was finally won. The student section is on their feet the whole game and gets loud before every play. Not saying other sections/people don't, but collectively the stadium doesn't rock like it could. I understand why TO moved the student section, but some fans are content with being at the game, which is fine because it's awesome seeing couples featured who've been to every home game in the past 40 years, but pound for pound the student section represents for that stadium.

It's also a short week before the holiday, many skip Mon/Tue classes to get home to their family sooner. Not sure if it's enough to explain empty seats, but I did drop my cousin off at the airport last Saturday for this very reason.

I don't know how it worked before, but she got a friend to transfer a ticket into my name and it took about all of ten minutes on my iPhone to get it purchased online and printed for the PSU game.

On the topic of things lacking, I do think that Memorial stadium doesn't get as loud as it could, at least not that day nor consistently every game. I know there are many factors. But my take that day was that the place erupted after the opening drive of the second half to the 3rd down conversion completed by PSU, the play where Ciante's helmet broke. The sack, pick, and TD in between kept up the volume until that conversion, but the rest of the game never got that loud until the game was finally won. The student section is on their feet the whole game and gets loud before every play. Not saying other sections/people don't, but collectively the stadium doesn't rock like it could. I understand why TO moved the student section, but some fans are content with being at the game, which is fine because it's awesome seeing couples featured who've been to every home game in the past 40 years, but pound for pound the student section represents for that stadium.
The quality of the opponent has a lot to do with it. I have been a season ticket holder since 1967 and this year’s Wisconsin game was the loudest I have ever heard Memorial Stadium. My ears were still ringing the next day.

THIS:

...they dont have assigned seats, its GA. Simply put, they cram an extra 5-10 bodies per row. There is your empty seats towards the top

and THESE:

There definitely has been a little bit of a turn around with some of the students.

When I went to unl during that horrible '07 season, we had pretty sweet seats in the south endzone. Now they're pushed up in the corner (much like the visiting team).

I acquired student season tix last year and was waiting in line hours upon hours just so me and my group could get front row seats. The students at the top of the section are the typical drunk sorority bi...err...girls that don't have a clue about what's going on. There were basically 3 groups there early (7am for a 2:30 kickoff) with us plus a ton of freshman in the south gate entrance.

Also, the AD changed how students can sell tickets this year. A HUGE pain for another student or buyer, plus for the student selling.

I don't know where I'm going with this, just some observations...

It is worth reiterating how easy it used to be to transfer tickets -- you simply handed your paper ticket to another student, who could use it with their ID. Now it requires a trip to the ticket office with both seller/recipient. This, in combination with the shift to a much less impactful section and the GA dynamic, describes perfectly why you have seen empty rows.

Hopefully, Eichorst can do something Osborne was never able to figure out: show some respect to the lifeblood of the University, the students.

DONU Alum

Last edited:
Living in Pennsylvania and being very familiar with the Penn State student section I can tell you the people of Nebraska can be very proud of the students who attend the Husker football games. I've been to at least fifteen Nebraska home games in the past eight years and have NEVER seen a Nebraska student harass fans from the oppopnents team. Acting like a complete idiot ( drunk and proud of it) seems to be accepted and somewhat expected at some eastern schools including Penn State and Ohio State. Although they are in the minority their actions speak volumes. Many will remember their trip to Penn State during the Solich years . What I heard from Penn State and Nebraska fans was a complete breakdown of dignity and respect. Penn State's president apologized as I remember to the husker fans who attended the game.Ohio State - Michigan games ( especially at Ohio State) bring a whole new meaning to disgusting drunken behavior . Don't even think about attending a West Virginia game ,especially at night, students there pride themselves on their poor behavior and celebrate it with t-shirts in their bookstore.
I'm sure poorly behaved Nebraska students are out there but I haven't seen them and from reports of first time visiting fans they haven't seen them either. In defense of the Penn State students the bad apples are in the minority and during the past season their peers and Penn State alumni are changing the culture there and the change is evident ( night and day difference between the last two Husker visits to Happy Valley).
I think the Nebraska students need to be shown more respect, given more seats, and moved to a more prominent area inside the stadium.

"Hopefully, Eichorst can do something Osborne was never able to figure out: show some respect to the lifeblood of the University, the students." The lifeblood? With all due respect, they deserve accommodation and their needs should be facilitated, but I'm not sure they are the primary constituency that needs to be placated.

The entire student section needs to be closer to the field. The energy they can create is what gives a team a homefield advantage.

"Hopefully, Eichorst can do something Osborne was never able to figure out: show some respect to the lifeblood of the University, the students." The lifeblood? With all due respect, they deserve accommodation and their needs should be facilitated, but I'm not sure they are the primary constituency that needs to be placated.

Uh oh, some people won't like this. It's not about where the students sit, it's about apathy. You're always going to have a good number of kids who live for game day, but you're also getting more kids who don't really care. Anyone know the number of international kids attending NU? I don't but I will guarantee it is much higher than 10-15 years ago, as it is at most schools. That plays a big role in this, as does the fact you can watch a game in a much more comfortable and fulfilling experience from home than ever before. The problem with lack of student response is not just a NU problem. CBS Sports did a good write-up on how Duke is struggling to get the type of student turnout they were getting just a decade ago.

With that said, I like ShuckIt's idea of overselling. If the school is making it harder to transfer tickets, than oversell in anticipation of student no-shows.

I agree with overselling to fill the section. It's simplistic to suggest moving them to a better section. Who wants to be the one to tell those fans they are moving? Plus, I'm sure on a per seat basis those other fans are paying more. It's a tricky problem, and it's certainly not one of NU's most pressing issues in the athletic department.

THIS:

and THESE:

It is worth reiterating how easy it used to be to transfer tickets -- you simply handed your paper ticket to another student, who could use it with their ID. Now it requires a trip to the ticket office with both seller/recipient. This, in combination with the shift to a much less impactful section and the GA dynamic, describes perfectly why you have seen empty rows.

Hopefully, Eichorst can do something Osborne was never able to figure out: show some respect to the lifeblood of the University, the students.

DONU Alum

This. The University has made a point of treating the students like crap when it comes to football seating/tickets.

You guys are really a sad lot. Let's make sure the non-students get "placated" and dump on the kids going to school. That IS what we have...you ought to be happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back