• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Why Has the Media not Responded?

Here's my question:

Hypothetically, let's say somebody inside the program has indisputable proof of X, Y, and/or Z. They hand deliver it to Mitch Sherman or Sam McKewon. One of those guys writes a full article detailing every allegation, providing additional reporting, and a quote from an attorney speculating on if Frost could hypothetically be fired for cause.

The article is published the day after one of the one-score losses in 2021 (take your pick).

1. Would you believe it?
2. What would your reaction be?
3. What would the next 96 hours look like for the reporter who broke the story? (threats, attacks on credibility, loss of access, etc.)
I get it.
If Frost had winning seasons at Nebraska, prior to all of the the recent news regarding his on and off the field behaviours, how many would still be angry and want him gone.
As to the poor reporter breaking this news, he or she would be clobbered.

1.) Would I believe it? I don't know. I'm not sure what I believe coming out of Lincoln anymore.
2.) What would my reaction be? Kind of like now.
3.) Ahhhhh...You're a writer? Number 3 is probably the crux of your answer. If the story is true and proven, what are you afraid of? In Journalism 101, that's call a scoop. Are you afraid of losing your access to the University? Clicks? Self-respect?

If you are going to cherry pick the truth, why would anyone read your articles? If the entire state is questioning what's wrong with the program and you choose to write an article about what you think is wrong but withhold reliable, proven information? If you think that's ok, which apparently has been the case, you do you. We don't have to trust nor read.

I'm proud of our athletes and UNL. I'm tired of stepping on rakes every few years. It's time the program turns around. The media has been equally as complicit as the University in the downfall. A little transparency goes a long way versus just getting clicks.

A little transparency goes a long way toward what?

Why has the media not responded to their lack of reporting on the football program?

Where is Sean Callahan?
Where is Steve Sipple?
Where is Sam Mckewon?
Where is Robin Washut?
Where is Mitch Sherman?

Severe came clean although after the coaching change.

Why are these guys not explaining to us what they knew and did not report? At least Damon Benning made an attempt to clarify his wink wink read between the lines because we can't handle the truth comments. Agree with the answer or not, at least he tried.

This mess will not be cleaned up until everyone comes clean and then reports the truth going forward. Not the TMZ kind of stuff. The real coaching problems like not showing up and not respecting recruits.

What's going on in the basketball program we don't know about?
There is truly only one way to respond. Cancel your subscription and tell them why. They aren't going to respond in part because they know we have the attention spans of goldfish and we'll be buying their papers and subscribing to their on-line services in huge numbers the minute a new Head Coach is announced.

On something as significant to the Lincoln economy as the Husker football program, print journalists and radio and TV "journalists" are clearly working for the owners, some of whom probably have other business interests in Lincoln that they want to protect. Creating problems for the football program is a bad idea not only from the standpoint of the Lincoln economy, but from the standoint of the Lincoln boosters who have special interests in the program and in the way their being contributors gives them better access and some adulation (real or perceived).

And as anyone who has been in or near the business knows, sports writers are employees until they get their own syndicated national column.

I've known honest journalists on both the national and local levels who just cannot get some of their stories published for reasons unrelated to the honesty of what it said in the stories.

Finally, the Frat party is over. I hinted several times, but i know a lot about frat parties I was told. Good riddance, Hope Matt is packing his office.
He hasn't started packing yet. Here is a view in his office from last night.
200.gif

Not just the media.
Any mention of Frost's unmentionables got you a brief vacation from HuskerMax, too.
And questioning moderation on the board gets you the same.
I think both these posts serve to offer insight to the topic. Just as Huskermax has posting rules…..local reporters do also. Hammering on the media to come clean on what they might or might not have known doesn’t factor in what rules they might have needed to abide by.

I think both these posts serve to offer insight to the topic. Just as Huskermax has posting rules…..local reporters do also. Hammering on the media to come clean on what they might or might not have known doesn’t factor in what rules they might have needed to abide by.
Agreed. I imagine most folks in the athletic department who are allowed to have conversations with the press know the journalistic rules. For example, a person asks a reporter first if something can be off the record. Then the reporter can agree or refuse. The source then can decide whether or not they want to share that information.
If the reporter agrees to an off-the-record request, the ethical thing to do is not report or even repeat that information. Off-the-record comments are supposed to remain strictly between the source and the reporter. So if these media people learned of things that were conveyed off the record, they should not share.

Agreed. I imagine most folks in the athletic department who are allowed to have conversations with the press know the journalistic rules. For example, a person asks a reporter first if something can be off the record. Then the reporter can agree or refuse. The source then can decide whether or not they want to share that information.
If the reporter agrees to an off-the-record request, the ethical thing to do is not report or even repeat that information. Off-the-record comments are supposed to remain strictly between the source and the reporter. So if these media people learned of things that were conveyed off the record, they should not share.
Agree that those are the rules. But then, why share? What is accomplished by sharing something that is not to be repeated. That would seem to put the journalist/report in a really tight spot when it would be for the best if it was reported.

Why has the media not responded to their lack of reporting on the football program?

Where is Sean Callahan?
Where is Steve Sipple?
Where is Sam Mckewon?
Where is Robin Washut?
Where is Mitch Sherman?

Severe came clean although after the coaching change.

Why are these guys not explaining to us what they knew and did not report? At least Damon Benning made an attempt to clarify his wink wink read between the lines because we can't handle the truth comments. Agree with the answer or not, at least he tried.

This mess will not be cleaned up until everyone comes clean and then reports the truth going forward. Not the TMZ kind of stuff. The real coaching problems like not showing up and not respecting recruits.

What's going on in the basketball program we don't know about?
When you refer to he “mess” I hope your referring to the football team …… the media has always and will always be a mess and no amount of “coming clean” will fix that. Trev has stopped the bleeding with the firing of frost and chinander. Unfortunately the rest of the mess will have to be cleaned up after the season out of necessity.

Access to what? Access to inaccurate reporting? I’d say, bye, and report what is the truth. If not, what’s the point of a reporter? To get clicks and make money thru inaccuracies? Yeah, that’s real honorable. I’ve never worked a job in my life that I didn’t want to dominate in, and do it in honorable fashion.
Sadly that’s what journalism is nowadays. Getting clicks and making money for the media outlet. (give the people what they want hear and they will come).

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back