• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Why Has the Media not Responded?

6ZXoMtHImZOgw.gif

Or maybe media outlets are owned by people with lots of money and influence what is said based on the agenda they, the owner's have set forth.
The mouthpiece is told what to say for a negotiated salary.
The employee is the made to conform or be cast out.
If the mouthpiece and his or her family wishes to eat next month, well the decision is set .
Eat or starve.
Husker Football has, is and will be controlled by the BIG donors and always will be. In my opinion, their egos are partially responsible.

Or maybe media outlets are owned by people with lots of money and influence what is said based on the agenda they, the owner's have set forth.
The mouthpiece is told what to say for a negotiated salary.
The employee is the made to conform or be cast out.
If the mouthpiece and his or her family wishes to eat next month, well the decision is set .
Eat or starve.
Husker Football has, is and will be controlled by the BIG donors and always will be. In my opinion, their egos are partially responsible.

The solution is simple. The owners of media outlets don't want to lose money. If you're fine with nothing but sunshine and mild criticism, keep on subscribing, clicking on links and posting links. If you're not fine with the lack of real reporting, stop subscribing, clicking, and posting. If enough people stop paying attention to them, they'll either get the message or alternatives will emerge to provide what people want. My guess, though, is that most people are fine with sunshine and mild criticism. Sad, but c'est la vie.

The solution is simple. The owners of media outlets don't want to lose money. If you're fine with nothing but sunshine and mild criticism, keep on subscribing, clicking on links and posting links. If you're not fine with the lack of real reporting, stop subscribing, clicking, and posting. If enough people stop paying attention to them, they'll either get the message or alternatives will emerge to provide what people want. My guess, though, is that most people are fine with sunshine and mild criticism. Sad, but c'est la vie.
I agree, but it's such a sad state of affairs when the truth becomes the enemy.
Meanwhile the content (opiate for the herd) are providing the distortion and distraction from the reality.
As you say, c'est la vie.

Sam McKewon came out a few days ago and said that he felt the personal criticism toward Frost said more about the people saying it than it did about Frost himself. He made it out that people are hurt and lashing out.

That being said, he also came out before that point and alluded in other places that Frost wasn't focused or organized enough.

I don’t want to hear about SF’s personal life, but there had to have been verifiable stories of his *actions* and *omissions* that were adversely impacting the team. I think we all have a general idea now, but it would be nice to have some of these guys come clean.

For instance, did no one interview any of the 50+ players who transferred out of the program and ask them why? I’m sure they would spout platitudes but some may have told the truth anonymously: That many guys could see they were not going to win here under SF based on his methods and practices, etc.

Ultimately, no one wanted to attack the Golden Boy, myself included, until it was far too late. With most coaches, once the Ls outnumber the Ws, there is “blood in the water” and the criticisms will come out until the coach is fired.

There was a ton of loyalty and goodwill with Scott that had to be burned off before we got to hear the reality.

If you want answers, get a few dozen people on Twitter to hound Sipple, et al. until they have to respond.

I just don’t have the stomach for it any more.

We should be careful criticizing people when if we were in that situation we may do the same thing.

I don't think this is much of a puzzle. To quote Charlie Munger, "show me the incentive, and I'll show you the outcome."

There is no incentive to do any type of investigative reporting at the local level, especially investigative reporting of a sports team. The corporations/hedge funds/private equity that own local newspapers are cash harvesting - cut expenses, max cash flow.

If editors want to keep their jobs, sports coverage has to be light and fluffy, like "give me 1,500 words on the Husker who was a Navy Seal."

Severe and those of his ilk are personalities who host shows that feature sports banter. Same deal - no incentive. You start slagging the head coach with anonymous sources and you'll lose at least 30% of your audience.

Last edited:

Why has the media not responded to their lack of reporting on the football program?

Where is Sean Callahan?
Where is Steve Sipple?
Where is Sam Mckewon?
Where is Robin Washut?
Where is Mitch Sherman?

Severe came clean although after the coaching change.

Why are these guys not explaining to us what they knew and did not report? At least Damon Benning made an attempt to clarify his wink wink read between the lines because we can't handle the truth comments. Agree with the answer or not, at least he tried.

This mess will not be cleaned up until everyone comes clean and then reports the truth going forward. Not the TMZ kind of stuff. The real coaching problems like not showing up and not respecting recruits.

What's going on in the basketball program we don't know about?

Here's my question:

Hypothetically, let's say somebody inside the program has indisputable proof of X, Y, and/or Z. They hand deliver it to Mitch Sherman or Sam McKewon. One of those guys writes a full article detailing every allegation, providing additional reporting, and a quote from an attorney speculating on if Frost could hypothetically be fired for cause.

The article is published the day after one of the one-score losses in 2021 (take your pick).

1. Would you believe it?
2. What would your reaction be?
3. What would the next 96 hours look like for the reporter who broke the story? (threats, attacks on credibility, loss of access, etc.)

Here's my question:

Hypothetically, let's say somebody inside the program has indisputable proof of X, Y, and/or Z. They hand deliver it to Mitch Sherman or Sam McKewon. One of those guys writes a full article detailing every allegation, providing additional reporting, and a quote from an attorney speculating on if Frost could hypothetically be fired for cause.

The article is published the day after one of the one-score losses in 2021 (take your pick).

1. Would you believe it?
3. What would the next 96 hours look like for the reporter who broke the story? (threats, attacks on credibility, loss of access, etc.)

Great post. Just to add one point, we'd almost certainly be talking about a scenario in which the article would say "according to multiple sources in the athletic department." I don't think anyone would go on the record. That's career suicide in an insular business like college athletics.

Without attribution, I think at least half the fan base would answer "no" to #1. And for those who believed it, the majority opinion would be that the article harmed rather than helped the program.

Here's my question:

1. Would you believe it?
1.) Would I believe it? I don't know. I'm not sure what I believe coming out of Lincoln anymore.
2.) What would my reaction be? Kind of like now.
3.) Ahhhhh...You're a writer? Number 3 is probably the crux of your answer. If the story is true and proven, what are you afraid of? In Journalism 101, that's call a scoop. Are you afraid of losing your access to the University? Clicks? Self-respect?

If you are going to cherry pick the truth, why would anyone read your articles? If the entire state is questioning what's wrong with the program and you choose to write an article about what you think is wrong but withhold reliable, proven information, how do you not report? If you think that's ok, which apparently has been the case, you do you. We don't have to trust nor read.

I'm proud of our athletes and UNL. I'm tired of stepping on rakes every few years. It's time the program turns around. The media has been equally as complicit as the University in the downfall. A little transparency goes a long way versus just getting clicks.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back