• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Why Has the Media not Responded?

I see people reference Woodward and Bernstein frequently, but I think they've missed huge chucks of All the President's Men. W&B had a great source with Deep Throat, but they spent months verifying that information with other sources and reporting out the rest of the story. Reporting (at least at reputable publications) requires sources who will go on the record. I'd guess that the NE sports reporters couldn't get enough direct witnesses to speak publicly on the noteworthy matters.

Severe and Benning were acting as commentators not reporters (it's a subtle but important difference) when they discussed the controversies around SF, and they only really spoke after SF was gone. Commentators traditionally aren't bound by the same evidentiary standards as reporters (think Stephen A. Smith vs. Woodward). It's also why Severe and Benning spoke cryptically and not on specifics.

Last edited:

What do you think Omaha and Lincoln print reporters make? The TV sports people there don’t make anywhere near 400k. I have friends in TV in PHX (11th ranked media market) that don’t make 400k. Newspapers have been cutting staff for years and many are out of business. Too much media fragmentation. Times have changed.
I’d bet Tom Shatel, and others like him, make damn good money. The small guys, no. People of influence in the business, with longevity make damn good money. The local weeknight NBC weatherman in OKC makes over 500k.

TV anchor? Long-tenured radio host/commentator? That person is an extreme anomaly in the media. Reporters' pay is generally pretty lousy for the hours. The average sports reporter makes like $39k. Most people don't go into journalism for the money. The only people making big bucks are the news commentators and bigtime anchors. Maybe a few reporters at the very top of their field are making six figures, but that's the top 1% and not indicative.
Sipple was pretty high on Sean Callahan getting 10,000 subscribers. Do the math and then ask Sean why he is quiet.

Last edited:
They make good money when partnering with a website where they can be directly compensated by the clicks or ads their specific content delivers. I would bet this site is pretty darn profitable and there aren't even official reporters in here (at least not ones on record)

Why has the media not responded to their lack of reporting on the football program?

Where is Sean Callahan?
Where is Steve Sipple?
Where is Sam Mckewon?
Where is Robin Washut?
Where is Mitch Sherman?

Severe came clean although after the coaching change.

Why are these guys not explaining to us what they knew and did not report? At least Damon Benning made an attempt to clarify his wink wink read between the lines because we can't handle the truth comments. Agree with the answer or not, at least he tried.

This mess will not be cleaned up until everyone comes clean and then reports the truth going forward. Not the TMZ kind of stuff. The real coaching problems like not showing up and not respecting recruits.

What's going on in the basketball program we don't know about?
Because we can’t handle the truth.

I’d bet Tom Shatel, and others like him, make damn good money. The small guys, no. People of influence in the business, with longevity make damn good money. The local weeknight NBC weatherman in OKC makes over 500k.
Does Tom Shatel report anymore? He's just a columnist right? I doubt he's out chasing stories anymore.
The OKC weatherman is also not a reporter. I don't know what you mean by "people of influence" and I'm unsure how that relates to NE sports reporters.

TV anchor? Long-tenured radio host/commentator? That person is an extreme anomaly in the media. Reporters' pay is generally pretty lousy for the hours. The average sports reporter makes like $39k. Most people don't go into journalism for the money. The only people making big bucks are the news commentators and bigtime anchors. Maybe a few reporters at the very top of their field are making six figures, but that's the top 1% and not indicative.
Sure, the people on the lower end don’t make that, and most of them are not covering the main events either. The upper people make damn good money, many of which cover teams directly.

Does Tom Shatel report anymore? He's just a columnist right? I doubt he's out chasing stories anymore.
The OKC weatherman is also not a reporter. I don't know what you mean by "people of influence" and I'm unsure how that relates to NE sports reporters.
I’m sure Tom is in the know. People with tenure, longevity. Many of those guys report and cover teams. Smaller, internet sights, no, you’d be right.

OKC is a way bigger media market rank than Omaha. 41 compared to Omaha at 74. Shatel makes nowhere near 400k either. I promise you. Good money but not great money. I am not defending them—-just saying money isn’t as big as you think in Nebraska. That’s all.

So you're saying Sean purposefully hid a story that might get more people to subscribe to his site? Interesting.
No, I think he’s saying he probably didn’t report things he probably knows, as to not lose his gig, credentials. Sold out. X’s and O’s Have been beaten to death. We all know those have sucked, so now, people are looking for answers as to why this all went so horribly wrong. The off field stuff sure puts the puzzle together. I’d almost bet most of it is true, or close to it.

OKC is a way bigger media market rank than Omaha. 41 compared to Omaha at 74. Shatel makes nowhere near 400k either. I promise you. Good money but not great money. I am not defending them—-just saying money isn’t as big as you think in Nebraska. That’s all.
I’m not saying they are. I know markets are different. The top reporters in Nebraska do make good money though. Point being, you’re not doing your job if you don’t report accurately. If you hide stuff you know, because of the ramifications of it, you aren’t doing your job.

I’m not saying they are. I know markets are different. The top reporters in Nebraska do make good money though. Point being, you’re not doing your job if you don’t report accurately. If you hide stuff you know, because of the ramifications of it, you aren’t doing your job.
They don’t have editorial control. The company does. So if a story gets killed by the bosses—and that happens all the time—no story. I will be curious to see how this shakes out up there. I know a GM of one of the TV stations. I am going to ask what their sports reporter has heard. Some of those guys don’t want to work hard either.

They don’t have editorial control. The company does. So if a story gets killed by the bosses—and that happens all the time—no story. I will be curious to see how this shakes out up there. I know a GM of one of the TV stations. I am going to ask what their sports reporter has heard. Some of those guys don’t want to work hard either.
This is a good point. Editors kill stories for a whole host of reasons (lack of news worthiness, lack of verification, etc.). It's possible some editor spiked a story about SF out drinking one night or late to a meeting because it's not seen as newsworthy, but I'd be surprised if a reporter had a full, verified rundown of the all SF allegations and it didn't come out somewhere.

This isn't Hot Topics but it's the same reason why Fox News loves Trump and CNN loves Biden.

And without saying anymore about politics politics, it feels like we have some Husker football politics with the local Husker Media giving air cover to the UNL Athletic Department.
dont air our dirty laundry quid pro quo...

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back