• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Who is the opposite of Oregon? Nebraska.

Status
Not open for further replies.
tom-osborne.jpg Untitled.jpg6a00e553e551d1883401310f5fc277970c-500wi.jpg

Things change. :)

I don't buy your brand argument. Great brands constantly reinvent themselves and do so without losing their appeal.

pepsi-logo-transformation.png

It's true that Nebraska is a traditional school. But keeping tradition and reinventing brand messaging are not mutually exclusive.

I agree, however they don't reinvent on such a frequent basis. Nebraska has evolved over the years as well, just much more deliberately and carefully. Oregon changes several times in the same season. Last I heard is that they have somewhere around 25 different Uni's. Hence my comment that they are more of a "fad" or trend.

Folks make it sound we have two options - stick with our "traditional" uni or become Oregon. There's quite a bit of real estate in between.

As far as I know, people really liked the '62 throwbacks NU wore for the 300th sellout. What we be so bad about wearing something retro once per year? Or perhaps letting Adidas design something modern for one game per year? And why does "modern" automatically mean "clownish?"

The '62 Throwbacks were great. We could also bust out the old UCLA-style shoulder stripes (Johnny Rodgers era).

People think that "new uniforms" means you go full-****** like Oregon or Maryland. But there is room for updates without losing the tradition. Remember the Callahan-era pants? With the single, fat red stripe down the side? They looked cool but didn't go so far as to be "un-Nebraskan."

Remember the Callahan-era pants? With the single, fat red stripe down the side? They looked cool but didn't go so far as to be "un-Nebraskan."

Are you referring to these: http://8460986520067655346-a-180274...te/nebraskafootballhistory/uniforms/2002.jpg?

If so, those were only worn in 2002 (when Solich and Co. snapped the 9-win streak with an ugly 7-7 campaign).

Side note - When Steve Pedersen was hired, one of the first things he did was to get rid of these abominations.

I agree, however they don't reinvent on such a frequent basis. Nebraska has evolved over the years as well, just much more deliberately and carefully. Oregon changes several times in the same season. Last I heard is that they have somewhere around 25 different Uni's. Hence my comment that they are more of a "fad" or trend.

No one is saying that we have to be "Oregon". And as mentioned in the video, maybe evolving is Oregon's new found tradition. That's just what they do. That doesn't mean that we should stay plain looking so that we aren't becoming a "fad". Change is a part of life. It's call evolving. Everything surrounding college football has evolved over the past 50 years, from rules, to offensive/defensive schemes, amount of elite athletic players, to the youth of the dominant players, etc..... Can you imagine if the Memorial Stadium hadn't "evolved from the day the first Sellout started......we'd have a lot less season ticket holders watching the game in person.

Folks make it sound we have two options - stick with our "traditional" uni or become Oregon. There's quite a bit of real estate in between.

As far as I know, people really liked the '62 throwbacks NU wore for the 300th sellout. What we be so bad about wearing something retro once per year? Or perhaps letting Adidas design something modern for one game per year? And why does "modern" automatically mean "clownish?"

Exactly.........

The '62 Throwbacks were great. We could also bust out the old UCLA-style shoulder stripes (Johnny Rodgers era).

People think that "new uniforms" means you go full-****** like Oregon or Maryland. But there is room for updates without losing the tradition. Remember the Callahan-era pants? With the single, fat red stripe down the side? They looked cool but didn't go so far as to be "un-Nebraskan."

Everyone knows you shouldn't go full ******, but why do we have to adopt a previous design in order for some to say they support the "modern" look. I'm not saying it's a bad thing but I like new things. I'm a simple guy so I'm not going to go looking for something flamboyant, but that doesn't mean I'm out shopping for bell bottoms made by Coogi or Gucci. I'm sure these "professional designers" can be creative for the uniforms without, turning us into a comic book character (which is cool as hell....:lol:) that doesn't look like uniforms we wore 20-30 years ago. tOSU had nice uniforms that were simple and didn't resemble their tradition design. Mich St had something also.

I gotta admit, I like those throwbacks. But that figures, since my formative years as a Husker fan were in the 1960s.

HUBlafvsNU092609_1967a.JPG

if it gets recruits, whats the harm...new merchandise means more money for the athletic dept too

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back