• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Who is Mike Jacobson?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Probably just brought him to mind of the guy writing the article - Olson - and Olson called the big hat for a few words about the program...

Yeah who knows...after hearing his name 3 times in a day I probly won't hear it again for another 3 years

has this booster said anything that is not true?

Not really. I think it's more a matter of bad timing and the fact that he went public with it; I don't really agree with that part myself. Boosters can yield enough power behind the scenes without sharing it with the world.

Not really. I think it's more a matter of bad timing and the fact that he went public with it; I don't really agree with that part myself. Boosters can yield enough power behind the scenes without sharing it with the world.

So this would be the perfect opportunity for the team along with Bo to show the world...maybe boosters should do just that...Boost not talk. Bo now has the opportunity to take this lemon add some sugar and make lemonade. lets see how he handles it

Considering Olson mentioned the blow-out losses in an article from Aug 2, you could see this coming.

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/huskers-set-try-again-elusive-championship

The Huskers have been a model of consistency under Bo Pelini. They're among just four teams that have won nine or more games five straight seasons.
But they also have lost each of the three conference championship games they've appeared in since 2009. They also have three straight bowl losses.

There also is the matter of those big losses during last year's 10-4 campaign — by 25 points to Ohio State, by 39 to Wisconsin in the Big Ten title game and by 14 to Georgia in the Capital One Bowl.

I'm taking EVERY penny I have out of Mr. Jacobson's bank and if he shows up at the Wyoming HuskerMax tailgate....NO YUENGLING FOR YOU!

Anyone who thinks Olsen didn't know Jacobson's personal opinions on Bo isn't thinking clearly. You don't become an AP writer by being a poor journalist and having poor connections. I doubt that Olsen knew Jacobson personally, but he definitely knew Jacobson's sentiments regarding Bo through interactions with boosters around the Omaha/Lincoln area and people associated with the athletic department. Why else would an AP sports writer primarly focusing on Lincoln and Omaha know about a bank opening in Kearney or North Platte or that this Jacobson guy was a "booster of substance"?

Even if you don't have an issue with what Jacobson said, you should have an issue with him going on record and saying those things publicly. How does it benefit anyone? Well, it benefits Jacoboson and Olsen I guess. A little ego-bump for the both of them. There's probably only one coach who isn't entering his first season on the job that has full backing by every "booster of substance" and that's Saban, so it's shouldn't be a surprise that booster(s) feel that way.

Last edited:
There's probably only one coach who isn't entering his first season on the job that has full backing by every "booster of substance" and that's Saban, so it's shouldn't be a surprise that booster(s) feel that way.

Yep, and even Saban isn't above reproach - say for instance, he didn't allow the booster's "all state" grandson on the 105 roster...

So this would be the perfect opportunity for the team along with Bo to show the world...maybe boosters should do just that...Boost not talk. Bo now has the opportunity to take this lemon add some sugar and make lemonade. lets see how he handles it

X-Zac-Lee

I heard someone talking about this article on the radio on my way to work this morning, and I thought it must have been some pretty damning stuff.

Turns out, it's just a bunch of fluff.

The article had a negative tone to it, but I suppose that's to be expected given the way the season ended. Whatever. Jacobson's expectations are actually similar to mine, and I'm fully behind Bo.

- Jacobson said "he's going to have to eliminate the blowouts." Duh. Who disagrees with that?

- Jacobson said we need to finish in the top 10 and compete for a national championship. Again, that's not unrealistic. Nebraska SHOULD be in the national conversation. Most people here think that it's very realistic to be sitting at 8-0 heading into Ann Arbor. If that's the case, we will probably be inside the top 10 in November. A win at Michigan (which isn't unrealistic by any means) would probably get Nebraska into some title talk.

- Finally, Jacobson said that Nebraska needs to make it to the conference championship game. I agree, with a caveat. It's possible (not necessarily saying it's likely) that the Huskers and the Wolverines could both be sitting at 7-1 in conference play at the end of the year. If Michigan has the head to head win, they go to the championship game. I would be disappointed, but I wouldn't think that the season was a bust if NU is 11-1, 7-1. I think Jacobson would be ok with that as well. Especially if the one loss was a close game.

An 11-1 (or better) season, a conference championship, and/or a BCS bowl game should calm people down.

I heard someone talking about this article on the radio on my way to work this morning, and I thought it must have been some pretty damning stuff.

May have been fluff, and stuff people have been saying for a while on message boards, but it's pretty significant when someone with some leverage (who knows how much) says it publicly. I don't remember "boosters of substance" coming out and giving quotes to writers like this back in 2002 and 2003. Maybe after the 2003 KSU game, but that could have been more knee-jerk/in-the-moment reactions. Jacobson's comments were not knee-jerk reactions.

Some things never change. I remember hearing boosters back in the seventies saying the same things about Osborne. Devaney told them to....................:eek:

The article had a negative tone to it, but I suppose that's to be expected given the way the season ended. Whatever. Jacobson's expectations are actually similar to mine, and I'm fully behind Bo.

- Jacobson said "he's going to have to eliminate the blowouts." Duh. Who disagrees with that?

- Jacobson said we need to finish in the top 10 and compete for a national championship. Again, that's not unrealistic. Nebraska SHOULD be in the national conversation. Most people here think that it's very realistic to be sitting at 8-0 heading into Ann Arbor. If that's the case, we will probably be inside the top 10 in November. A win at Michigan (which isn't unrealistic by any means) would probably get Nebraska into some title talk.

- Finally, Jacobson said that Nebraska needs to make it to the conference championship game. I agree, with a caveat. It's possible (not necessarily saying it's likely) that the Huskers and the Wolverines could both be sitting at 7-1 in conference play at the end of the year. If Michigan has the head to head win, they go to the championship game. I would be disappointed, but I wouldn't think that the season was a bust if NU is 11-1, 7-1. I think Jacobson would be ok with that as well. Especially if the one loss was a close game.

An 11-1 (or better) season, a conference championship, and/or a BCS bowl game should calm people down.

Good post T.

Welcome to the Fish bowl Bo.

The old formula of: apply pressure and win championships is alive and well.

It worked twice and should work again.:nod:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back