• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Who is Mike Jacobson?

Status
Not open for further replies.

A very bright and honest booster...likely one heck of a good fan.

And why does he think his 2.5 million dollar suite rental make him any more of a fan than anyone on this board?
Because money talks...it may not make him more of a fan, but it gives him some clout that the regular fan does not have...more than you can imagine.

I really can't stand " BOOSTERS ? " who think writing a big check makes them part of the program. I understand this is true throughout college football but hoped the " Big Check " writers had little influence at Nebraska with just five coaches over the past fifty years. Hopefully these people will not have the ear of this AD the way they did with Mr. Pederson.
Everyone on this board has an opinion. The fact that this guy with his big checkbook gets his in the national media that really burns me.

Don't waste your time being unhappy about a mere fact if life. He will have something to say and will be heard...to get action, however, will likely cost much more than another $2.5 million.

Last edited:

Anyhow ... it appears (from what internet tg mentioned) that the timing is largely due to Jacobson opening a new bank today. That put the big booster in the spotlight to begin with. I don't know if we'll ever know if Olson has his own personal ax to grind. As I said before, we only know for sure how Jacobson feels.
Personal ax? Some people are acting like this article was some sort of hatchet job. Other than the booster's opinion the article was pretty much stating fact...6 blowouts, 4 big ones, etc. That's a legit topic of conversation.

I don't know for sure why this particular booster -- other than apparently today was the grand opening of his new bank (per our poster, internet tg), which had him in the spotlight for potential interviews to begin with.

As I said to bilsker ... I can't say you're wrong ... but I can say that there still is some speculation involved regardless or your (or my) opinion of Olson. And my opinion of Olson may very well be the same as yours -- but I just don't think it's fair to hold a negative opinion on him without knowing all of the facts. I do think it's fair to hold a negative opinion on Jacobson.
What does his opening of a new bank have to do with anything? Olson is a sports reporter so I doubt he was covering the opening of some bank somewhere and this story up and bit him in the azz.

As for Olson I don't think he has a "history of negativity" towards the program. If he did I'm sure it would have been a hot topic of conversation on this board.

What does his opening of a new bank have to do with anything? Olson is a sports reporter so I doubt he was covering the opening of some bank somewhere and this story up and bit him in the azz.

As for Olson I don't think he has a "history of negativity" towards the program. If he did I'm sure it would have been a hot topic of conversation on this board.

The bank opening may only mean he was open for interviews today -- and the fact that he's likely a well-known booster means he may have offered an opinion on the state of the NU program. What I am curious about ... was it well known before today that Jacobson didn't care much for Bo? In other words, did Olson know for certain what sort of story he was going to get? It certainly did make a story. And it could be argued that regardless of Olson's stance, it even put he as a writer on a platform. For all we know, however, he may have just been looking to meet a quota on stories, and thought he might get some interesting words out of a big-time donor (which he obviously did get). I don't know for sure on any of this. Tons of speculation involved with Olson. But it's the speculation that, at least to me, makes it a bit unfair to attempt to attack him on almost the same level as Jacobson.

Seems like some people have overly thin skin. What this booster said was not terribly outrageous. Big deal....one rich guy made some somewhat critical comments about Pelini's results thus far. So what, who cares?

I guarantee you that Olsen knew his opinions about Bo and it was no random fan interview. It's probably the dumbest thing either could have done. If what you want is to sabotage recruiting then they've succeeded.

Oh, come on, get some perspective. This is like a gnat on an elephant's back. Lighten up, Francis.

I guarantee you that Olsen knew his opinions about Bo and it was no random fan interview. It's probably the dumbest thing either could have done. If what you want is to sabotage recruiting then they've succeeded.

It's time for Bo to take that next step and everything is lined up for that to happen. Take care of business and it won't matter what this guy thinks.

While I am not completely happy that a booster put this to the AP that can put it in any publication in the country, I can't be upset with someone giving their opinion. I promise you this though, f we have the exact same season with a couple blowout losses but still go to the CCG, Pelini will not be on the hot seat. No one wants to be embarrassed on national TV, those need to stop obviously. But like it or not, we have gone to the CCG 3 out of the last 4 years. Programs like Ohio St, Georgia, USC, Oregon, Stanford, Texas, Oklahoma,etc. would love to have a statistic like that. We probably should have won at least one of those by now, but i'm willing to give Pelini some time. I'd rather be embarrassed by a blowout loss and still go to a CCG then get embarrassed with a 5-7 record.

IMO, Pelini is building a championship defense with these past two recruiting classes, which single handily will stop the blowout losses even if our offense completely goes in the tank. That's why I think this booster was just looking at the first level of things and making these statements rather than taking a look at the whole perspective and digging deeper. If we don't win a CCG in the next few years I will be concerned, but people pushing the panic button right now are wrong, IMO. They very well could be right, but I just don't think there's enough sample size and I'm willing to give Bo Pewwwwwwwwwini more time.

It's time for Bo to take that next step and everything is lined up for that to happen. Take care of business and it won't matter what this guy thinks.

Completely agree - it's time to get a CCG win or destroy someone in a bowl game. Like I've said before, if we make it to the CCG but lose both that and the bowl game that will be 0-7 for TMagic in post-season games. That's got to be a record as well. Our offense will be wayyyyy more potent next year IMO...

Mike Jacobson, North Platte native, UNL grad 1976
Steve Pederson, North Platte native, UNL grad 1980.

Just sayin'

has this booster said anything that is not true?

I honestly have no clue if that was coincidence or not, but the events that took place the last two days made me wonder.

1) Jacobson is on the front page of the NP papers because of an announcement regarding his new building in NP, they're putting in an upscale restaurant or something.

2) Opens brand new bank in Kearney, which i was told yesterday is a pretty significant move in the local banking industry.

3) I see this article last night, and now he will probably be front and center in the lincoln/omaha media.

His comments don't really bother me, but he is a pretty smart guy and people like that usually calculate their moves pretty carefully.

I honestly have no clue if that was coincidence or not, but the events that took place the last two days made me wonder.

1) Jacobson is on the front page of the NP papers because of an announcement regarding his new building in NP, they're putting in an upscale restaurant or something.

2) Opens brand new bank in Kearney, which i was told yesterday is a pretty significant move in the local banking industry.

3) I see this article last night, and now he will probably be front and center in the lincoln/omaha media.

His comments don't really bother me, but he is a pretty smart guy and people like that usually calculate their moves pretty carefully.

Probably just brought him to mind of the guy writing the article - Olson - and Olson called the big hat for a few words about the program...

A newspaper writer wants to get his article in front of as many eyes as possible, so controversial title, direct words from a prominent business man, and wala - look what we are all talking about.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back