• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Who is Mike Jacobson?

Status
Not open for further replies.

YUENGLING

Travel Squad
10 Year Member
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/blowout-losses-taint-pelinis-record-192504160--ncaaf.html

Who is Mike Jacobson ? And why does he think his 2.5 million dollar suite rental make him any more of a fan than anyone on this board?
I really can't stand " BOOSTERS ? " who think writing a big check makes them part of the program. I understand this is true throughout college football but hoped the " Big Check " writers had little influence at Nebraska with just five coaches over the past fifty years. Hopefully these people will not have the ear of this AD the way they did with Mr. Pederson.
Everyone on this board has an opinion. The fact that this guy with his big checkbook gets his in the national media that really burns me.

Seriously...does anyone thing the booster sought out the writer?

But did the writer seek the booster hoping he'd bash Bo? It quite possibly took Olson by surprise. I can't imagine a writer asking a booster to offer some negative press. In other words, no matter who sought out whom, there's really only one person to blame -- the one being quoted.

Booster Schmooster. A few called for Dr. Toms head a time or two. I have a feeling this guy won't be winning many popularity contests in this state any time soon.

I agree with Bils....I think Olson sought out Jacobson because more than likely he knew what Jacobsen was going to say....I'm sure its not the first time he had said it and Olson probably got wind of it....problem is its all over the country now because the AP is picked up by everyone....and I agree with you that Jacobsen owns what he said....its from his lips....with that being said I think Olson knew exactly what he was doing......

But did the writer seek the booster hoping he'd bash Bo? It quite possibly took Olson by surprise. I can't imagine a writer asking a booster to offer some negative press. In other words, no matter who sought out whom, there's really only one person to blame -- the one being quoted.

Don't necessarily disagree with you, but I'm guessing by the title of the article and jacobson's answer "if he wants to get off the clock" that this was a hot seat type article to begin with.

I imagine the writer was seeking someone to quote that would express the sentiment he was reporting on. And we KNOW that sentiment is out there. Therefore, who does the reporter talk to? Some schmoe off the street? Not likely. He seeks out someone who probably has a little more pull than you or I. Now, should they guy have just said "no thanks"? Maybe. Maybe not. If he really feels that way and doesn't mind his name being associated with the statement...I really have no problem with it. Much ado about nothing, really.

At least from this booster....I'm not so sure he talks for them all...and yeah it was a hit piece...Olson knew exactly what he was doing and the AP is loving life tonight with all of the hits this article is probably getting....

Don't necessarily disagree with you, but I'm guessing by the title of the article and jacobson's answer "if he wants to get off the clock" that this was a hot seat type article to begin with.

Much ado about nothing, really. I'm certain that if a booster puts a big check on the table, and tells the AD that this money is to be used for X, the AD will push the check back across the table, and say, thanks, but no thanks.

An AD can't be beholding to the varied demands of boosters, and still run a good athletic department.

He has to fundraise, but there can't be any strings attached to that money. This clown from North Platte THINKS he has influence, but he really doesn't. I'm sure he'll be talked to by Myers, et al.

I agree with you, except I do have a problem with it......timing sucks etc.....but like you said in a few days to a week it will blow over....would love to see Olson ask Bo a question though at a presser....;) :Biggrin:

I imagine the writer was seeking someone to quote that would express the sentiment he was reporting on. And we KNOW that sentiment is out there. Therefore, who does the reporter talk to? Some schmoe off the street? Not likely. He seeks out someone who probably has a little more pull than you or I. Now, should they guy have just said "no thanks"? Maybe. Maybe not. If he really feels that way and doesn't mind his name being associated with the statement...I really have no problem with it. Much ado about nothing, really.

No, but as I said above I think the writer knew exactly what he was doing.....read my post above...:)

I would expect that a writer writing for a national "publication" does know exactly what he's doing. So. You read the "repeated blowout" stuff on here. Other boards. It's a regular theme on talk radio. The sentiment IS out there. Being that the writer is writing for a national publication and is based in Omaha I believe I imagine his job is to report on Nebraska/big 10 type stuff...let people nationally know what the feeling is around the program. And he's not wrong. Not everyone can be a program mouthpiece like Sipple.

Fact is the blowout losses DO taint the record.

I suspect the AD and him have already used a few cell phone minutes....talking back and forth if not met in a private place to clear the air....

I agree too....you can't be beholden to the demands of boosters...although some schools sure are....

Much ado about nothing, really. I'm certain that if a booster puts a big check on the table, and tells the AD that this money is to be used for X, the AD will push the check back across the table, and say, thanks, but no thanks.

An AD can't be beholding to the varied demands of boosters, and still run a good athletic department.

He has to fundraise, but there can't be any strings attached to that money. This clown from North Platte THINKS he has influence, but he really doesn't. I'm sure he'll be talked to by Myers, et al.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back