• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Who Are #15 and #16?

PICK TWO: If the Big Ten expands again, who are #15 and #16?

• Kansas

Votes: 24 25.5%
  • Kansas State

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • Oklahoma

Votes: 7 7.4%
  • Oklahoma State

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Iowa State

• Missouri

• Texas

• Notre Dame

Votes: 31 33.0%
  • Virginia

Votes: 11 11.7%
  • Virginia Tech

Votes: 12 12.8%
  • West Virginia

• Pitt

Votes: 10 10.6%
  • Syracuse

Votes: 8 8.5%
  • Boston College

Votes: 6 6.4%
  • Louisville

Votes: 5 5.3%
  • North Carolina

Votes: 14 14.9%
  • North Carolina

• Georgia Tech

Votes: 19 20.2%
  • Florida State

• Other

Votes: 4 4.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
My guess is that the KC market pales in comparison to Virginia and North Carolina overall.

A big difference between who I would like it to be and who it will be.

This is not about the teams/schools that you like best or have the most successful programs. This is about TV packages and population centers in places your league wants to be and currently isn't. For the B1G you also throw in the concept of like-minded schools from an academic perspective.

I voted Virginia and GT based on the blogs I have read that seem to have the business angle on this figured out. I think Virginia/UNC/ND would be about as good as this could go for the B1G. If you could throw that out demographics and TV money, I would probably like to see Mizzou and KU based on being an NU fan all my life and the Big 8 and to some degree the Big XII history. I would be stunned if either of those schools ended up in the B1G though.

I also put UVA and GT. Obviously Notre Dame is the top prize because of their global reach but I think 16 teams for the Big10 will get done before ND pulls the trigger on a conference. UNC and Duke are joined at the hip which is unfortunate for them because conferences are looking for TV's and only one does that.

I am still uncertain about GT honestly. My thought is that UGA gives you the state and Atlanta far more than GT and UGA isn't going anywhere. I may not appreciate GT's appeal or the TV $$$ value in Atlanta that they may provide. I guess we will see.

I also put UVA and GT. Obviously Notre Dame is the top prize because of their global reach but I think 16 teams for the Big10 will get done before ND pulls the trigger on a conference. UNC and Duke are joined at the hip which is unfortunate for them because conferences are looking for TV's and only one does that.

I believe you hit the nail on the head with ND. Still hard to not see them in the BIG with location and all. But alas, the ship, she is a sailin

Midwestern roots means absolutely nothing. If they wanted that market so bad, they should have went for Missouri. I am not saying that Kansas is off the table but Missouri would have been a better choice. There is no way UNC and Duke split up IMO.
I agree with NC and Duke, but disagree on Mizzery. Delaney has two sore spots to squeeze, MU and ND. One was too arrogant, and the other was unapproachable, and wouldn't even agree to a dinner date to discuss it. Kansas makes a better B1G in B-Ball alone. Can you imagine Ku-NC every year ....... twice ......before the NCAA's ??

I think you guys are crazy if you think a fat check and more stability wouldn't have NC running for the door. They can always play non-con games against Duke, no way do they pass up the invite to stay with Duke.

How funny would it be to hear Mizzou fans try to spin it if KU got invited to the B1G and they didn't. :lol:

I picked Notre Dame for the "footprint" and Ga Tech for the Atlanta TV market.

Last edited:

If Notre Dame is even a remote option, the Big Ten would be foolish to pass on them. They've always been "relevant" -- even if was in-name only. But 2012 showed that the Irish still have some fight left in them and aren't perennial hoaxes.

Notre Dame preserves the geography of the league and (like Nebraska) brings a large national following, regardless of the fact that Indiana is already "saturated" from the Hoosiers and Boilers. Like others have said, there are two types of schools; new television markets and traditional powers. There's even a third hybrid category, in which a school commands large national audiences AND brings a completely virgin TV market to the BTN. Since Delaney is damning geography and placing all his chips on revenue, he'd be smart to pursue the "hybrid" category -- hard.

For example, like Nebraska, both Oklahoma and Texas command huge national audiences. But the Sooners have a disadvantage because (again, like Nebraska), they come from a relatively small-population state. They have a national following, but Texas controls the massive mega-region of Eastern and Southern Texas. If the Big Ten came calling, Texas would generate move revenue simply because they'd increase both the national viewership and bring a new, massive television market. Oklahoma would only pad the national stats and bring a (relatively) smaller market of OKC-Norman-Stillwater.

Delaney needs to go after hybrids like Texas. Of course, I'm not suggesting Texas per se, but there are other schools like Florida State or Virginia Tech that would bring similar results.

I went with Uofl because they sit right on the border of Indiana and Ohio and Illinois and because they have GOT to get out of the dying Big East.

If Notre Dame is even a remote option, the Big Ten would be foolish to pass on them. They've always been "relevant" -- even if was in-name only. But 2012 showed that the Irish still have some fight left in them and aren't perennial hoaxes.

Notre Dame would be attractive if they were 0-11 in football right now.

Why not all of them? Yes, it would make for a very large conference (33 total ) but imagine the size of that "footprint"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Back