• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Where will Bo land?

i also like the what if, for BP.... what if he wasnt saddled with such a controlling AD as SE, who woulda given him a bit more help. I know, the AD is his boss and all, but we all know that the football coach and his success determines the length of an ADs term at the school, so it was a bit more incumbant upon SE to cater to BP, than vise versa..... would thata helped BP control his temper ?, a little less meddling from the AD ? that needs a whole other thread itself, but that ship has sailed, why bother. Lets not rip that band aid off again.

i also like the what if, for BP.... what if he wasnt saddled with such a controlling AD as SE, who woulda given him a bit more help. I know, the AD is his boss and all, but we all know that the football coach and his success determines the length of an ADs term at the school, so it was a bit more incumbant upon SE to cater to BP, than vise versa..... would thata helped BP control his temper ?, a little less meddling from the AD ? that needs a whole other thread itself, but that ship has sailed, why bother. Lets not rip that band aid off again.

SE was specifically hired by HP to fire/replace BP, not to “cater” to him.

Exactly. Which is why Perlman hired Eichorst behind Osborne's back after promising to include him in the search for his replacement.

Someone with enough knowledge (Sipple) needs to write an article this off-season that lays out all that dysfunction so we can quit having this discussion. It could be written from the perspective of how things are working now and what all had to be changed. Sipple has strongly alluded to a lot of the stuff on numerous occasions but never really laid it all out there. There are some that still think Perlman wasn't a problem. And, yes, I will give Perlman credit for the great work he did on the academic side. His legacy at UNL is complicated but, when it comes to football, he was an unmitigated disaster.

Last edited:
Bo has himself to blame for his temper tantrums. They didn't start when ADSE was hired, and they certainly didn't end after Bo was canned.

The dude is an explosion waiting to happen.

Exactly. Which is why Perlman hired Eichorst behind Osborne's back after promising to include him in the search for his replacement.
Which is why Perlman was relieved of his duties the spring after the hire. They purposely hid the firing from the people of power so they couldn't interfere, and I would consider that a no-no. From who he can hire, to who he can recruit, to not giving him a recruiting support staff which was very minimal compared to what we currently have, to making him read books, to controlling what former players were allowed back (even ones that donated money to build us things), that guy was a boob.

All that said, it still is the strangest thing that Bo didn't go elsewhere. He knew it wasn't going to work. He's a loyal dude, i'll give him that. And the way he handled all the things listed above is 100% on him. Would love to see what Bo could do with an AD like Osborne or Moos, that gives him what he wants/needs and leaves him alone. Probably could have been pretty good.

Last edited:
Which is why Perlman was relieved of his duties the spring after the hire. They purposely hid the firing from the people of power so they couldn't interfere, and I would consider that a no-no. From who he can hire, to who he can recruit, to not giving him a recruiting support staff which was very minimal compared to what we currently have, to making him read books, to controlling what former players were allowed back (even ones that donated money to build us things), that guy was a boob.

All that said, it still is the strangest thing that Bo didn't go elsewhere. He knew it wasn't going to work. He's a loyal dude, i'll give him that. And the way he handled all the things listed above is 100% on him. Would love to see what Bo could do with an AD like Osborne or Moos, that gives him what he wants/needs and leaves him alone. Probably could have been pretty good.

The sideline demeanor would still be there and in the end I think it hurts his recruiting, and I am not sure he really liked recruiting to begin with. I think he felt it was a necessary evil.

Would love to see what Bo could do with an AD like Osborne or Moos, that gives him what he wants/needs and leaves him alone.
We did see what Bo was able to do with an AD like Osborne...it was Osborne himself. Pelini had more seasons with TO as AD than he did with SE as AD.

Bo was still Bo. He had his temper tantrums, hated recruiting, was an ass, hired his underqualified buddies as assistant coaches and led Nebraska to seasons ending with 4 losses.

The sideline demeanor would still be there and in the end I think it hurts his recruiting, and I am not sure he really liked recruiting to begin with. I think he felt it was a necessary evil.
The sideline stuff never really bothered me. To your point, he didn’t like recruiting and even chose not to recruit certain players “because it was a long shot.” Not sure if it was his “want to” with recruiting or his sideline demeanor, but there was certainly room for improvement. And I’ll never argue with someone that thinks how he acted on Saturdays was an issue, it got bad many times.

We did see what Bo was able to do with an AD like Osborne...it was Osborne himself. Pelini had more seasons with TO as AD than he did with SE as AD.

Bo was still Bo. He had his temper tantrums, hated recruiting, was an ass, hired his underqualified buddies as assistant coaches and led Nebraska to seasons ending with 4 losses.
Right, and under Osborne, Bo went to 3 conference championship games in 5 years. Considering those 5 years included a first year transition and a change in conferences, that’s pretty outstanding. That’s basically what the ceiling is moving forward with Frost and Moos, except we should probably sprinkle a conference title or two in there.

Second paragraph I agree with.

Last edited:
The sideline stuff never really bothered me. To your point, he didn’t like recruiting and even chose not to recruit certain players “because it was a long shot.” Not sure if it was his “want to” with recruiting or his sideline demeanor, but there was certainly room for improvement. And I’ll never argue with someone that thinks how he acted on Saturdays was an issue, it got bad many times.

All I can say is that my wife many times said "I would not let my son play for a guy that screams like that". I think a certain number of players and parents were turned off by that type of behavior.

All I can say is that my wife many times said "I would not let my son play for a guy that screams like that". I think a certain number of players and parents were turned off by that type of behavior.
Can’t argue that at all, I’ve heard the same. All that said, you are only recruiting 25 kids a year out of 1,000s available. There were many four stars that jumped at the chance to play for him. I do think you and your wife’s concerns are valid, it limited some people we could go after.

Right, and under Osborne, Bo went to 3 conference championship games in 5 years. Considering those 5 years included a first year transition and a change in conferences, that’s pretty outstanding. That’s basically what the ceiling is moving forward with Frost and Moos, except we should probably sprinkle a conference title or two in there.

Second paragraph I agree with.
In a list of reasons why Bo had better seasons in his first 5 or so years, I don't think who the AD was is at the top.

In short, the shortcomings we saw under Bo were primarily the result of Bo.

Last edited:

We took a weird and bumpy road but given who the coach is TODAY would you trade that for one more year of Bo or one less year of Riley? If things worked out ANY other way it's likely Frost is at Florida or somewhere like that. He may or may not be the next TO...but I'll take my chances on him over anyone NU has had or thought of since

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back