• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

What we will see this fall

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dumbest post ever. Even the most diehard Riley haters will concede this could be an improved team that finishes with a worse record due to the schedule.

Been the story for going on about 15 years now.
How so? There will be 3 ranked teams on the schedule. 2/3 are at home. Are your expectations so low you don't think we can 1 of those 3? Very sad if so.

How so? There will be 3 ranked teams on the schedule. 2/3 are at home. Are your expectations so low you don't think we can 1 of those 3? Very sad if so.

It's not about my expectations. OSU, PSU, Wisc, and Oregon are all games that could be easily lost.

• PSU: Road game against the defending B1G champ
  • Oregon: Road game at a difficult venue. An unknown due to new coaching staff, but still not easy
  • OSU: Home game, but easily the most talented team in the B1G, they just stockpile talent.
  • Wisc: Not unwinnable, actually like our chances in this one, but we have to go out and prove it.
We will be breaking in 3 new coaches, a new defensive scheme, and a new QB. As Socal pointed out, these things take time to gel. My expectations are that if they gel quickly, NU COULD win the division. Reality is my expectations may not be met. I still think we're probably another good recruiting class away from building the depth we need.

It's not about my expectations. OSU, PSU, Wisc, and Oregon are all games that could be easily lost.

• Oregon: Road game at a difficult venue. An unknown due to new coaching staff, but still not easy
  • OSU: Home game, but easily the most talented team in the B1G, they just stockpile talent.
  • Wisc: Not unwinnable, actually like our chances in this one, but we have to go out and prove it.
We will be breaking in 3 new coaches, a new defensive scheme, and a new QB. As Socal pointed out, these things take time to gel. My expectations are that if they gel quickly, NU COULD win the division. Reality is my expectations may not be met. I still think we're probably another good recruiting class away from building the depth we need.
I agree "these things take time." So in 2019 does Riley get another 4 years because he fires Cav, Reggie Davis and for the 2nd time takes play calling away from DL? The changes he's made, while positive should never have had to be made or should have made after year 1. Banker didn't just get bad. He was bad at OSU, yet he gets 2 more at NE? Frank brought in Bo and immediately saw an improvement. Even Riley has indicated this isn't a transition year. Now do I cut him some slack and require the chart continues up and to the right? No, another 9 win season is acceptable. But to go backwards isn't.

He won't be allowed to hire another football coach if Riley fails.
Doesn't the doom and gloom ever get to you? Things are looking up. The FS/BC and especially the lengthy Bo era soured things for a lot of fans and Bo left the biggest mess imaginable, but MR (and graduating 2 classes) has things straightened out now. Have fun this year...it will be fantastic!

I agree "these things take time." So in 2019 does Riley get another 4 years because he fires Cav, Reggie Davis and for the 2nd time takes play calling away from DL? The changes he's made, while positive should never have had to be made or should have made after year 1. Banker didn't just get bad. He was bad at OSU, yet he gets 2 more at NE? Frank brought in Bo and immediately saw an improvement. Even Riley has indicated this isn't a transition year. Now do I cut him some slack and require the chart continues up and to the right? No, another 9 win season is acceptable. But to go backwards isn't.
What a dumb statement. Was Diaco going to quit as HC at Connecticutt to come here? Was Donte Williams available, or even known as the recruiting talent he seems to be yet? Count to 10 and take a few deep breathes before you pass out Randy.

Doesn't the doom and gloom ever get to you? Things are looking up. The FS/BC and especially the lengthy Bo era soured things for a lot of fans and Bo left the biggest mess imaginable, but MR (and graduating 2 classes) has things straightened out now. Have fun this year...it will be fantastic!
You missed if. Simple. I really like some of the changes Riley has done. Will it matter on the field? Remains to be seen.

What a dumb statement. Was Diaco going to quit as HC at Connecticutt to come here? Was Donte Williams available, or even known as the recruiting talent he seems to be yet? Count to 10 and take a few deep breathes before you pass out Randy.
Did I say ANYTHING with respect to Diaco? No, I pointed out he had ample experience to understand Banker et.al., weren't good hires. The fact is Riley's track record is consistently mediocre. The standard at Nebraska is competing for and winning championships. He'll get a couple more years to prove he's capable of that but after 20+ years he doesn't get 7 years of mediocre to worse results to demonstrate that capability.

If we don't compete for it this year or next, 2019 wont matter, we won't win that year either.
I didn't say we wouldnt be competitive, but we're not going to beat either PSU or OSU. If we can beat Iowa and Wisky we might get a trip to the CCG, but no one can honestly state that's going to happen, no matter how much we hope it will.

Did I say ANYTHING with respect to Diaco? No, I pointed out he had ample experience to understand Banker et.al., weren't good hires. The fact is Riley's track record is consistently mediocre. The standard at Nebraska is competing for and winning championships. He'll get a couple more years to prove he's capable of that but after 20+ years he doesn't get 7 years of mediocre to worse results to demonstrate that capability.
I truly have no problem with 9-4 consistently, as long as the losses are competitive consistently. That's not mediocrity.

We absolutely need a top 10-15 class this year.

According to what criteria? Stop shoulding all over yourself.
According to the fact that we have better players than every team in our division, and because that should be our expectation. We spend way too much money to finish 3rd or worse, and we made a change to get better. If we're not winning at least the division in the next two years, it's time to cut bait.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back