• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

What we will see this fall

Status
Not open for further replies.

I agree the schedule is brutal this year, and that hurts NU's chances of making a CCG run. But, I will take this schedule over some of the duds the past few years. Oregon, PSU, OSU, Wisc. What's not to like about that?

You have to beat the best to be the best. I think playing a tougher schedule will only make the team better.

Overall:

This team has most of the pieces needed to make a run at the BIG championship. What it lacks is experience, depth in a few spots, and "proven" leadership. Don't expect any answers coming out of Spring ball unless the QB battle is decided by then (I doubt it will be). More than likely, Spring ball will find some "new stars"...guys that rarely see any action in the fall. This is a year for great optimism...if we can avoid dropping a game early (like Oregon) we will be in good shape. Sadly, we have Wisky and Tosu back-to-back but I expect to win at least one of those. We also got saddled with @PSU and Iowa back-to-back as the BIG schedule makers clearly hate us. That will be another tough duo to win both games, but that late in the year...it is quite possible. GBR!

Very good post GFOA. Yes, we need some stars to emerge, especially if we are going to make a run at the B1G championship. As you pointed out it is a tough schedule with the 2 back 2 backs you pointed out, but the season is always better when you have great challenges like tOSU and PSU on the schedule. Love your optimism, and there is no reason not to have some. UW and tOSU are coming to Lincoln. That will be exciting for the 80,000 regulars. There will be extra red in Lincoln for both of those events...red everywhere! Hope the Whiskey fans can learn something about how visitors should be treated when they journey to Lincoln.

Last edited:
You have to beat the best to be the best. I think playing a tougher schedule will only make the team better.
The team could indeed be better, but still only post a 9-4 mark, at best. I think most fans realize with all the changes over the off-season this is going to be a learning/development season. We may struggle early on, especially in the conference, but hopefully close much stronger. It should be good preparation for the 2018 season though, which will be even tougher.

I agree the schedule is brutal this year, and that hurts NU's chances of making a CCG run. But, I will take this schedule over some of the duds the past few years. Oregon, PSU, OSU, Wisc. What's not to like about that?
While I understand the sentiment of being able to watch a tough schedule at home, I question the efficacy of how attractive it is IF we're getting our behinds kicked?

Offense:

OL - Improvement across the board. Farmer and Foster finally reach their long talked about potential at the guard spots. An uninjured Gates proved outstanding at LT and the RT spot will be improved with a more experienced Conrad/Knevel or a more talented, but inexperienced, replacement. Center also be improved, most likely by a raw talent like Raridon rather than the more experienced Decker. Wilson/Farniok might be seeing a lot of action somewhere in this lineup as well.

QB - Dramatic improvement as both potential starters possess the skills needed in the MR/DL offense. This will be the most improved position on the team.

RB's - Expect Ozigbo and Bryant to split carries/receptions. Both fit the MR/DL offense and their skills complement each other. This will be a dynamic duo for us this year as there will be far more opportunities for them to catch the ball out of the backfield and the improved pass completion percentage, along with the improved OL, will open up the running game as well.

WR's - Possibly, the most talented group of receivers in NU history. Very young though...but, I'm guessing that this group will, along wth the QB candidates, be putting in longer hours (on their own time) than we've seen in the recent past. These guys are talented, know they are the key to the offense and will be competing with each other for playing time and catches. It will be fun to watch as several of the youngsters may well unseat some of the veterans.

Overall, there is no reason to not expect dramatic improvement in our offense. It will be exciting to watch the youngsters grow and flourish. I bet DL feels like he just got the keys to a brand new red Maserati.

Defense:

DL - I expect the shift to the 3/4 to help us maximize the talent and depth we have. I believe Stoltenberg wins the NG job and will excel in that spot. I expect Carlos Davis, in his second year, to become a real force at DT as well. I'd like to see Khalil make a move at the other side but right now it looks like he'll be stuck backing up Mick. We need to find someone to fill the other DT spot...I have little confidence in some of the names I've heard floated, but expect Diaco to find a better than adequate player, perhaps Daishon Neal, Freedom or one of the freshmen can earn the spot.

LB's - We seem to have a lot of talented but inexperienced players. For that reason, I expect the veterans to begin the year in starting roles, only to be overtaken by the youngsters as the year moves forward. Guys like Young, Weber, Gifford and Newby will see a lot of time early but likely will be challenged by Roberts, Barry, Ferguson, Alexander, and Jefferson. By year-end, at least 2 or 3 of the latter will be starting.

DB's - A very strong group. I do not expect many changes in the starters though I think Lamar Jackson will be a starter early, whether at S or CB. He s too talented to sit. Some freshmen and RS freshmen may also make a run at PT.

Overall, I am not sure how Diaco will run his defense, but I am looking forward to witnessing his magic. He has plenty of talent on board to make it work, if he can get the players motivated to learn the defense quickly. I'm hoping that won't be a problem this year.

Special Teams:

Placekicking: - Drew Brown...outstanding.

Punting: - Obviously an area that needs improvement from last year. What few remember were the struggles Sam Foltz had early in his career. I'm hoping for similar improvement from Lightbourne, I believe in his talent.

KO Returns: - Bryant showed flashes of being good KO return man and some of the incoming freshmen (Libdsey, McQuitty) might be very talented in this regard as well. If Bryant is going to carry a greater load at RB, then we might see him give up his KO return duties.

Punt Returns: - It is unlikely that DPE will ever repeat the year he had as a freshman, but I do think 2017 will see him return to the ranks of CFB elite punt returners. He has the skills, the mentality for returns, and should be fully recouped from his injuries.

Coverage teams - I'm not sure why I expect improvement here, but I do. Obviously, MR believed there were problems on ST's when he fired Read...so, it stands to reason that everything ST related will get greater scrutiny this year.

Overall, I expect improvement at nearly every level in ST's. If this is still an issue in year 3, fans need to hold MR accountable, especially now that there is no ST Coordinator.

Overall:

This team has most of the pieces needed to make a run at the BIG championship. What it lacks is experience, depth in a few spots, and "proven" leadership. Don't expect any answers coming out of Spring ball unless the QB battle is decided by then (I doubt it will be). More than likely, Spring ball will find some "new stars"...guys that rarely see any action in the fall. This is a year for great optimism...if we can avoid dropping a game early (like Oregon) we will be in good shape. Sadly, we have Wisky and Tosu back-to-back but I expect to win at least one of those. We also got saddled with @PSU and Iowa back-to-back as the BIG schedule makers clearly hate us. That will be another tough duo to win both games, but that late in the year...it is quite possible. GBR!
You're nothing if not opinionated. It has yet to be seen whether or not we actually have the pieces you claim, or whether they will develop as such over the course of the season. Love the optimism, but far too many ifs, but, or maybes in your assessment.

If the team pounds the bejeasus out of everyone
I'll pump the sunshine
cooltext564767031.gif

I agree with this, but anything can happen in a competition between talented players. USC thought they had the right guy with Max Browne last year, but the QB competition "loser," Sam Darnold, ended up replacing Browne and tearing things up. Contrary to popular belief, the coaches don't always know who the best players are...
Or it takes the team struggling in certain aspects for them to figure it out.

While I understand the sentiment of being able to watch a tough schedule at home, I question the efficacy of how attractive it is IF we're getting our behinds kicked?

Simply put, it provides much more anticipation to the season. I'd rather end up 9-4 against that schedule than 9-4 against last years schedule. At any rate, it does put us behind the 8 ball against other teams in our division. Wisconsin's crossovers are Michigan, Indiana, and Maryland. Although Iowa's crossovers are pretty tough too in PSU, OSU, and MSU. I'd rate that tougher than ours actually.

Simply put, it provides much more anticipation to the season. I'd rather end up 9-4 against that schedule than 9-4 against last years schedule. At any rate, it does put us behind the 8 ball against other teams in our division. Wisconsin's crossovers are Michigan, Indiana, and Maryland. Although Iowa's crossovers are pretty tough too in PSU, OSU, and MSU. I'd rate that tougher than ours actually.
Yeah, I can't imagine Iowa not losing four this year in conference. If we can somehow finally beat the Badgers, the Iowa game would be for the Division, IMO. Could still end up with 4 losses in that scenario though.

I understand the point. I just don't anticipate perhaps as much success as you might this season. Oregon could be painful. OSU, Wisky, and PSU look to be very painful. We have to solve the problems on defense or this year is going to look much like last year and most of the last eight.

Yeah, I can't imagine Iowa not losing four this year in conference. If we can somehow finally beat the Badgers, the Iowa game would be for the Division, IMO. Could still end up with 4 losses in that scenario though.

I understand the point. I just don't anticipate perhaps as much success as you might this season. Oregon could be painful. OSU, Wisky, and PSU look to be very painful. We have to solve the problems on defense or this year is going to look much like last year and most of the last eight.

Well, I said I'd RATHER end up 9-4, not that we WOULD end up 9-4. Who knows at this point, we haven't seen even a practice yet let alone a game at this point. And there's been a lot of changes. But, I think we have very good chances against Oregon (completely new staff) and Wisconsin (took them to the edge last year). I think OSU is most likely and L as well as PSU, with a better chance against PSU probably.

Last edited:
Well, I said I'd RATHER end up 9-4, not that we WOULD end up 9-4. Who knows at this point, we haven't seen even a practice yet let alone a game at this point. And there's been a lot of changes. But, I think we have very good chances against Oregon (completely new staff) and Wisconsin (took them to the edge last year). I think OSU is most likely and L as well as PSU, with a better chance against PSU probably.
Your observation about the Ducks is well taken, still it is a road game. I wish I felt the same about Wisky, but until we actually beat the Badgers (however close the games) I cannot hold much hope for a win. We couldn't get close to OSU last year, and PSU was better than them, so without a huge leap forward it's difficult to imagine a win in Happy Valley at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back